Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.... (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Thanks for reading (if you are!)
I'm from the Northants area, one half of a couple, both in our 60s. He's not quite so keen on camping but I suspect it's more to please me! I'm used to campers, having had a Fiat 900t in the 90s, when I was a single parent. We travelled all over England, and had a whale of a time. Sadly her bottom disintegrated, and needed to much welding so I had to get rid šŸ˜¢. This lead to me owning a series of trailer tents. Brilliant... Until the last one was stolen and I was unable to replace it. Forward fast to 10 years ago. More trailer tents. Sadly though I'm now disabled, and my other half has cancer (prognosis is good thoughšŸ¤ž)
We're now looking for a camper van. Ideally around 5k, but could stretch to maybe 7k at a push!
I've never given up, nor will I, the dream of taking my 4 year old granddaughter away, like I used to my daughter.
Looking forward to gaining knowledge, and maybe helping on this forum.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I like your positive attitude. Welcome to this forum. I strongly recommend you join because IMO it's great value for money and there isn't a day goes by without learning something from these Funsters.
Your budget isn't huge but there'll be something out there to suit you. It might even be advertised in the Classifieds on here! Another good reason to join.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Well done to you for having such a positive attitude. I hope you find something within your budget and get to take your granddaughter away. Those moments she will remember for ever. Happy travels. šŸ‘

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
w2f
Great story and attitude.
I hope you can find a suitable camper within your budget, it won't be easy but it can be done if your not too fussy about things.
Beware of scams though, don't part with any money without seeing the vehicle
Good luck šŸ¤ž

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
;bigwelcome:
You may struggle to find a decent van in your price range, difficult but not impossible, few things to think about
1 if it sounds too good to be true it probably is, lots of scams about, beware, selling for a friend, grandparent, someone living abroad, working on the rigs, there might be a genuine one or two in there be aware.
2 Get one with enough seatbelts, make sure the grandchilds seat will fit too
many older vans will not have passenger seatbelts, they are almost impossible to retrofit with certification that will satisfy an insurance company.
there are some PVCs (panel van conversions) with 3 front seats, will you only ever want to be 3 up?
Hope all goes well with your husband's treatment.
Good luck with your search.
Joining here will give you access to more information than being a read only member, you only get 5 free posts. There is a good resource about buying your first van too. it can be bought, i think, but it would be better to put the cost towards membership.
I and others have saved well over the cost over the years.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I can't add much more than has been said above but I also wish you the best of luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Best of luck!
At your budget you are going to struggle unless perhaps a day van, more than a Motorhome would work for you? Or dare I say it a caravan would bewithin budget if you can cope with the pitching and setting up as you mention some disability.
There are a lot of scams for copied pictures from genuine adverts and many that offer home delivery after payment so do take care. Ask away on this forum and we will all do our best to advise you. Ā£20 annual membership will be paid back in no time in advice and savings and discounts for club camping events.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Still plenty of good Talbot Express's and Fiat Ducato of the late 80ā€™s early 90ā€™d era about for circa 5K but you need someone knowledgeable with you when buying.

Damp on habitation and rust underneath.

They will trundle along nicely and if cared for will give years of pleasure.
Some will say parts are hard to come by but Iā€™ve yet to hear of one been put off the road due to lack of parts.
Iā€™ve had two in the past and both served me well

Oh and a warm welcome to you

May 2, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Frontier
Exp
I'm a newbie
:hiya2: :pink: Great to have you here. Good luck with your search, keep us updated šŸ‘

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
You are most likely to only find a twenty to twenty five year old van on your budget. Many vans of that age are still used regularly. Most motorhomes are based on the sort of van builders and delivery firms use. As such they originaly came with a single drivers seat and a double passenger seat. The Talbot, Ducato and Boxer vans have an advantage over the Transit in that they have a dashboard mounted gearlever and a right hand handbrake which clears up the floor area and makes it easier to move from the front to the back of the van. Also less likely to accidently release the handbrake. As a motorhome it will probably have a single, possibly swiveable passenger seat, unlikely to have any extra fwd facing belted seats. As we only had one child we replaced the single passenger seat with a double from a scrap yard. We really enjoyed having a boy up front with us although he did tend to snuggle up on long journeys. Later we altered the mount frame, moving the double seat a few inches to the left to make it easier to move from front to rear.
Keep hunting, you will find something.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
:welco: Good advice on here from everyone so far. Good luck with your search xx

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Its a great site for motorhome knowledge i wish id heard of it when we had our motorhome (imight still have kept it)
Good luck in your search im sure you will find a doorrupper regards pam

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back