Are you interested in computer security? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This will have a limited audience. Occasionally HumbleBundle do a good selection of IT related books.
The last one I bought was about AI. This time it is about security.

APress do a pretty good line in IT books and I have used a few of their reference books over the years so I will be splashing out before it ends.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/protect-your-stuff-apress-books?partner=szyzyg

Even if only one or two books interest you this is worth the price.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
@Grommet I really respect your knowledge of all things IT/software/ computer stuff etc, but if we cant be boffered to read manuals on Dometic Fridge Freezers, and all the other half ton of docs we get with a new van, do you really think I am going to buy another book?
That,s what you are there for after all, the Funster go to IT software problem guy, if there's an IT/ computer problem then .....ask grommet.
I can listen to you all day talking about FET's improvements in electric vehicles, I even follow your Tesla threads with great interest, and thank you for them.
BUT
My McAfee subscription is running out, and I want a freebie, I have AVG Free, and CC cleaner, on another machine, but I am told that Windows Defender is good enough, with regular updates as a firewall?
Can you steer me, and others working on Win 10 towards a good free malware protection provider.
Thanks ever so much.
LES

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
I am told that Windows Defender is good enough, with regular updates as a firewall

Windows Defender is very, very good. The regular updates are a must whatever platform you use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
......I am told that Windows Defender is good enough, with regular updates as a firewall? ........
I used to use AVG (for a number of years) but change to Avast about 5 \ 6 years ago (maybe longer!). Subsequently AVG was bought by Avast but still marketed independently. Used along with ZoneAlarm free firewall.
I also use Windows Defender (along with Maiwarebytes Windows Firewall Controller to control app access to internet) on some machines and it works well.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Grommet I really respect your knowledge of all things IT/software/ computer stuff etc, but if we cant be boffered to read manuals on Dometic Fridge Freezers, and all the other half ton of docs we get with a new van, do you really think I am going to buy another book?
That,s what you are there for after all, the Funster go to IT software problem guy, if there's an IT/ computer problem then .....ask grommet.
I can listen to you all day talking about FET's improvements in electric vehicles, I even follow your Tesla threads with great interest, and thank you for them.
BUT
My McAfee subscription is running out, and I want a freebie, I have AVG Free, and CC cleaner, on another machine, but I am told that Windows Defender is good enough, with regular updates as a firewall?
Can you steer me, and others working on Win 10 towards a good free malware protection provider.
Thanks ever so much.
LES
I am sorry I know nothing about windows I am a linux guy. But I would suggest windows defender is good enough and install NoScript and uBlock origin. Then learn not to click on links in emails or open files sent by email. Most malware these days is received via email...

Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
Gromett can you recommend a comprehensive book for Linux, one that someone new to it would find really useful? My problem is where to look next, lots of information on the Web, but not a lot of use without the basic! Some time ago I used to program machine logic controllers and I now seem to have taken up the challenge of something new to me.
God help my head!!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
BUT
Thanks ever so much.
LES

Not free but as near as dammit, we have Norton360 - it protects up to 20 devices with optional free VPN - for just £39.99 p.a. = £2 p.a. per device

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gromett can you recommend a comprehensive book for Linux, one that someone new to it would find really useful? My problem is where to look next, lots of information on the Web, but not a lot of use without the basic! Some time ago I used to program machine logic controllers and I now seem to have taken up the challenge of something new to me.
God help my head!!
Sorry it has been 25+ years since I started on Linux so it has been a long time since I have needed a book.

It really depends on what you want to achieve. If it is just for a specific project, I would just research using google and play around with it learning as you go. If however you want to just learn the general stuff with a decent amount of detail and have some guidance through it then I have heard some good things about "The Linux Bible" although I haven't looked at it myself.

Be careful there are older versions going about that are cheaper. But Linux does move fast and it may not be fully correct anymore.

If you tell me specifically what you want to achieve I may be able to point you in a better direction?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Don’t use Norton it slows your PC down.

I use the free AVG never had a problem it always quarantines any nasties,.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back