Are external door locks safe? (1 Viewer)

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I would like the Forums opinion on the Fiammi type external security lock, the aluminium block that swivels foward to prevent a door being opened.
My Pilote Galaxy A Class only has a RH drivers door and a LH habitation door. The drivers door has the external security lock. I am concerned that I would not be able to use that door as an emergency exit, fire of an accident jamming the rear door for instance.
Of course one would always intend to ensure the security lock was only locked when the van was parked and empty. However, as we tend to come in and out of the habitation door it would easy to forget.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You are quite right to worry, don't overlook the total idiot who would twist it in the night because they cannot be locked open.

Reactions: 68c

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Can't argue with that. I may be wrong but long ago I got it in my head that they would not lock open. One way for anyone to find out !
Can’t remember if the earlier type did or not, the one I fitted 4 months ago does- it was also my concern ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
68c

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Just checked the one fitted to my 'new' van, yes it does lock open so one less worry.. I was not going to refit it, not sure what to do now. I suppose it is a good deterrent when parked and empty. Perhaps I need to add a warning to unlatch it to my usual driving off list, gas off, door locked etc.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
You are quite right to worry, don't overlook the total idiot who would twist it in the night because they cannot be locked open.
The Milenco I fitted to my van can easily be unlocked from inside, even if it has been pushed back down, I fitted it to My Hobby easily.

Attachments

• Milenco lock outside.jpg
    Milenco lock outside.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Molenco lock inside.jpg
    Molenco lock inside.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 47
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just checked the one fitted to my 'new' van, yes it does lock open so one less worry.. I was not going to refit it, not sure what to do now. I suppose it is a good deterrent when parked and empty. Perhaps I need to add a warning to unlatch it to my usual driving off list, gas off, door locked etc.
The problem with that is when it is locked it advertises to all and sundry that nobody is around. A quick persuasion with a small jemmy will pull it out of the wall and cause thousands of pounds worth of damage. Remember thieves rarely care about the damage they do getting in.

OP
OP
68c

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Peter10C, I agree that a determined thief will always get in and do whatever damage is needed.

Have now removed both the Fiamma drivers door external lock and the Fiamma habitation door lock/grab handle. On removing the habitation door lock I found the sidewall outer skin cracked and distorted. I just think a thief has too much mechanical advantsge and could tear it off the van with a lot of damage. One solution would be large doubler plates both inside and outside with spacer tubes for the attachment bolts, not pretty.
I am now not too keen on any external lock.
Next thing is to worry about the plastic windows and roof hatches. Still, I have been motorhoming for nearly twenty years and never seen any sign of attempted entry. That may be because my vans have always been over fifteen years old so not too attractive.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The problem with that is when it is locked it advertises to all and sundry that nobody is around. A quick persuasion with a small jemmy will pull it out of the wall and cause thousands of pounds worth of damage. Remember thieves rarely care about the damage they do getting in.
Also shouts "I've got valuables in here worth nicking".
As you say Peter makes breaking in even easier. I know someone who had one of those Fiamma hab door locks with the handle that swings across the door, he got broken into at City Europe, £3000 of damage, £20 of CD's nicked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back