Are 3kg gas bottles sold in the UK? (1 Viewer)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Good to know they haven't discontinued them since last night (post #3).
:wink:
that post was for caravan and catering bottles mine is for patio and LPG bottles :tounge::tounge:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
And they'd be sinking every 5 minutes if you did drill a drop vent!

The rules for LPG on boats is actually much stricter than on road vehicles, as LPG is heavier than air and will collect in bilges and get to an explosive concentration pretty easily.

Look very closely and you'll see the vent outlet on mine. A stainless pipe bonded to the inside the Hull exit just on the boot topping line
IMG_20210716_175333.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Look very closely and you'll see the vent outlet on mine. A stainless pipe bonded to the inside the Hull exit just on the boot topping line

I guess there are rules about mounting it high enough to be vented by gravity, and making sure it doesn't escape down into the hull below the waterline?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I guess there are rules about mounting it high enough to be vented by gravity, and making sure it doesn't escape down into the hull below the waterline?
Rules yes on newer boats and Common sense to vent it outboard (though lacking by some)

A group of us Fishermen back then we're not to far away at jasper's when this happened, gas heating involved but suspicious all the same shook a few cups

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Considered an underslung tank?
More expense, but you gain precious internal storage, and less suspicion aroused at Autogas filling stations.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Thank you, encouraging comments! The brochure says 3kg gasvorrat though. The model at the show is a prototype and the brochure has been rushed through so the salesman told me there could be changes. I had planned to buy another camper but when I saw the price of this one I took a closer look and put an order in! A Clever Vans from the Pƶssl Group with a killer price tag! Probably the cheapest van at the show with a 2 year waiting list nowšŸ™View attachment 532761
That's a very good price is it ex vat though?

Cheers James

OP
OP
B
May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
That's a very good price is it ex vat though?

Cheers James
It is a very good price and it includes German 19% vat. As always when you look closer you realise the windscreen price is there to grab your attention and does not include some near compulsory options. Iā€™ve specced it up to my wishes and got a final price of around ā‚¬40.000 but that includes a 3.5t chassis upgrade, 140hp engine, 16ā€ alloy wheels, double lens rear view camera, awning, satnav screen, climate control, electric folding mirrors, blind spot assist with rear cross path detection, 100Ah lithium battery and a few other more minor additions.
The German dealer has never done any export sales however and I hope he doesnā€™t get cold feet and cancel the order when he realise that it involves a bit more work than a conventional sale.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
It appears to me that the size of the gas locker is reasonable for a pvc, and there are a few options of a cylinder to fit in there. Unslung and that cupboard for storage would be the best.
Another option maybe a safefill cylinder, I donā€™t know the sizes of them.
I can fit a 6kg and 13kg calor gas bottle in our gas locker with room to spare on our pvc, is this not usual in a pvc.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I can fit a 6kg and 13kg calor gas bottle in our gas locker with room to spare on our pvc, is this not usual in a pvc.

Not really. PVCs are short on storage space generally, so overuse of available space for a particular purpose, such as gas canisters, might not be popular. Indeed, many PVCs have underslung LPG because inside cupboard space is at such a premium.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back