Anyone installed reversing sensors on Ducato? (1 Viewer)

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2006
Hi - I've just got a Ducato-based camper, thinking of installing reversing sensors in the rear bumper - anyone done this? I see from the manual it's an option on Ducatos, so I'm wondering if the holes are marked on the back of the bumper perhaps. Looking underneath, there's a metal bar behind the bumper so I'm worried if I drill the bumper there won't be enough room behind for the depth of the sensors, so any help from someone who's done it would be great :)

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi - I've just got a Ducato-based camper, thinking of installing reversing sensors in the rear bumper - anyone done this? I see from the manual it's an option on Ducatos, so I'm wondering if the holes are marked on the back of the bumper perhaps. Looking underneath, there's a metal bar behind the bumper so I'm worried if I drill the bumper there won't be enough room behind for the depth of the sensors, so any help from someone who's done it would be great :)

Surely on a MH the bumper will not be the original Ducato van bumper, will it?

May I add a question to yours?

Has anyone who has fitted sensors at bumper level also fitted sensors at roof level to avoid trees/roofs etc. and can one get kits for this which give differential sounds for each set?

Geoff

OP
OP
Beags
Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2006
Surely on a MH the bumper will not be the original Ducato van bumper, will it?

May I add a question to yours?

Has anyone who has fitted sensors at bumper level also fitted sensors at roof level to avoid trees/roofs etc. and can one get kits for this which give differential sounds for each set?

Geoff
It's a van conversion,so yes it's the original bumper - i can easily drill the plastic, I'm just worried about the metal crossmember that's behind it. Needs to be enough of a gap between the two for the depth of the sensors.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
When we got our Hobby it had reversing sensors in the 'Bumper'?

Why has the word 'Bumper' been put in commas?

Well, during its first wash after purchase, I got down to that bumper and found that it was merely a square black 70mm drain pipe that was literally the conduit for the sensors.

The sensors were not very reliable and, after the 'Bumper' was damaged (destroyed,) I took it off.
However the 'Van just didn't look right so a bought replacement that is still there.

The old system was hard wired but, with the advent of 'Wireless' I may just invest in a new system.

A question. Is there anything out there that doesn't have a 'Display but merely a Buzzer?. The front is already festooned with accessories and I've got a permanently wired rear view camera. A more subtle system might pass 'Management's' approval.

OP
OP
Beags
Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2006

Well, during its first wash after purchase, I got down to that bumper and found that it was merely a square black 70mm drain pipe that was literally the conduit for the sensors.

The sensors were not very reliable and, after the 'Bumper' was damaged (destroyed,) I took it off.
However the 'Van just didn't look right so a bought replacement that is still there.

The old system was hard wired but, with the advent of 'Wireless' I may just invest in a new system.

A question. Is there anything out there that doesn't have a 'Display but merely a Buzzer?. The front is already festooned with accessories and I've got a permanently wired rear view camera. A more subtle system might pass 'Management's' approval.
All the ones you see on amazon and ebay have a small letterbox-shaped screen with left and right progressive lights, which wouldn't be too noticable, but of course you don't need to fit it at all and just rely on the buzzers if you like.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
All the ones you see on amazon and ebay have a small letterbox-shaped screen with left and right progressive lights, which wouldn't be too noticable, but of course you don't need to fit it at all and just rely on the buzzers if you like.

Are the buzzers and the display separate then?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's a van conversion,so yes it's the original bumper - i can easily drill the plastic, I'm just worried about the metal crossmember that's behind it. Needs to be enough of a gap between the two for the depth of the sensors.
I can't remember as we haven't got the PVCs now but I think there are already some holes in the crossmember for this so have a shuftie, seeing as its a Ducato option I can't believe they would build them and then change the crossmember for a 'holey' one when required hence why the holes may already be there.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Thanks - what's an F/G bumper? (sorry)
Thanks - what's an F/G bumper? (sorry)

Fibre Glass

See the black dots/sensors

InkedDSC02891_LI.jpg

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

Meta System (who also manufacture alarm and tracking systems including the hardware used by Vanbitz) make 4 sensor reversing systems with only an audible buzzer. I've fitted them to two cars that I used to own and they work well. The control unit has adjustable sensitivity to fine tune the alert distance.

I suspect they are the same sensors as fitted OEM by Fiat, as I know they use Meta kit, both being Italian.

As Minxy Girl says, the Ducato van has them fitted in the rear bumper as an OEM option, so I would imagine the bumper is already built to accommodate them.

If you need to know the fitting measurements, I can pop out and measure mine when it stops raining!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
One of these cheap and simple to fit. I've fitted them to all three of my vans although all had F/G bumpers. They've all been v-reliable.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=392858157393
I've fitted 3 sets of those so far & all easy to fit & work perfectly. Sold as " Dunlop" rev sensors here.
Needs to be enough of a gap between the two for the depth of the sensors.
On the pvc I have now I fitted them whilst bored in the UK last year & drilled through the steel as well.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
One of these cheap and simple to fit. I've fitted them to all three of my vans although all had F/G bumpers. They've all been v-reliable.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=392858157393

Yep got the same ones but fitted them myself and as we are 7.95m had to extend the wiring loom so used telecoms wire from a phone line but works perfectly

OP
OP
Beags
Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2006
Meta System (who also manufacture alarm and tracking systems including the hardware used by Vanbitz) make 4 sensor reversing systems with only an audible buzzer. I've fitted them to two cars that I used to own and they work well. The control unit has adjustable sensitivity to fine tune the alert distance.

I suspect they are the same sensors as fitted OEM by Fiat, as I know they use Meta kit, both being Italian.

As Minxy Girl says, the Ducato van has them fitted in the rear bumper as an OEM option, so I would imagine the bumper is already built to accommodate them.

If you need to know the fitting measurements, I can pop out and measure mine when it stops raining!
That would be really helpful, but don't get wet - thank you!

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
My Pug Boxer had a live wire connected to the reversing lights hidden behind the cab interior light - if yours has that, it may be easier to install a reversing camera?

dhall26

Free Member
Aug 19, 2012
South lincs
Funster No
MH
Self Built Ducato
Exp
Personally I would always go with a camera. Sensors can sometimes miss posts
We have 2. 1 for parking and 1 as a rear view mirror.

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I fitted a set of the Dolphin make rear sensors in my Ducato PVC. They are good quality and the third set that I have fitted in various of my vehicles. If you get up under the bumper with a torch, you may find the same as I did in that there are holes in the metal crossmember that you can get a long drill bit through which will then give you the centres for the holes to cut from the outside (the Dolphin kit came with the hole saw as well). I cant remember if it was the Ducato or not but one of my vehicles actually had the rings marked on the back of the bumper which showed the locations of the factory fit sensors. That made it easier to find the centres. I took the feed from the reversing lamp in the near side. An alternative to soldering the connections that I would recommend are the Wago connectors which have been discussed elsewhere on the Forum - just do a search. A multimeter makes the identification of the reversing lamp feed easy.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
That would be really helpful, but don't get wet - thank you!

I didn't :giggle: The distance between the two inner sensors is 600mm, so each 300mm from the centre line of the bumper. The outer sensors are each 472mm from the respective inner sensors, and 62mm from the ends of the plastic bumper panel. All measurements to the centre of each sensor. They are all set vertically 5mm above the horizontal centre line of the bumper face, so 30mm from the upper edge.

As martin1485 says, there may well be markings on the back of the plastic bumper panel to indicate drilling positions. The bumper is held by two screwbolts from below and the screws along the top edge, obvious when the rear doors are open. According to the attached image, there should be four holes in the crash bar behind it, through which the OE sensor leads are threaded. A suitable reverse signal should also be available at the bodybuilders socket behind the cab B-pillar, if fitted.

Xmember.JPG

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
I fitted sensors too as an added safety device when reversing -cameras don't always give you a true image of depth or distance and I find sensors exceptionally helpful
Ian

SpikeH

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
Funster No

Jane4gav

Free Member
Apr 18, 2015
Diss
Funster No
MH
Adria i647sg A CLASS
Exp
Fitted new reverse sensors and small reverse cam wired sensors to reverse lights all off eBay works fine

Attachments

• 4D741AC6-9012-4B8D-ACE5-8FFC741DCD1F.jpeg
    4D741AC6-9012-4B8D-ACE5-8FFC741DCD1F.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 131
  • FBDAA2AF-5CDA-4157-B9C8-76C71DFEA67E.jpeg
    FBDAA2AF-5CDA-4157-B9C8-76C71DFEA67E.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 125
Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
If it is a Ducato van conversion then it will have the original bumper I would have thought. I fitted front and rear sensors to my PVC but could only fit two sensors to the rear. The steel bar behind the Fiat bumper does not have enough clearance for sensors to be fitted and if drilled to allow fitting, the steel gives false signals to the sensors. I fitted one sensor to the plastic trim below each of the rear light clusters, where there is no steel reinforcing, and this gives warning of obstructions at each rear “corner” and still overlaps in the middle although the sensing range is a bit inaccurate. A reversing camera takes more care of the middle section.
I bought an inexpensive 8 sensor lorry system from the internet, about £60 if I remember right. Buying the lorry system gives you longer cables on the rear sensors, a standard car kit does not give you enough cable.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hi Stealaway
On the Lyseo 690G to fit these did you have to remove the panel that the number plate is mounted on, and if so does it just pop off?

I think you will have a problem fitting them to a 690G I certainly did. There is no room to reach behind the bumper on my one. I had to drill a hole upwards and fish the wires down. Doable but a pig. Now I know I would fit the sensors into the flat, lower section of the bumper and hopefully fish the wires out a bit easier.

tometucker

Free Member
Jul 2, 2013
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Bailey 74-4
Exp
Since 2012

Thanks for your link. I fitted a cheap set to my car & wanted to do the same on our motorhome but couldn't see any with a long enough cable from the control unit to the display head. The one in your link is wireless so this solves my problem, I have ordered one this afternoon. They are quite simple to fit. Thanks again.

Jul 17, 2017
Ardrossan
Funster No
MH
Burstner Brevio T646
Exp
Nov 2016
nicholsong asked. Has anyone who has fitted sensors at bumper level also fitted sensors at roof level to avoid trees/roofs etc. and can one get kits for this which give differential sounds for each set.

I fitted four along rear bumper and two on rear lower corner with two at top of roof line. Removing rear lights allowed for cables to be run in. It was a Bessacarr E560. Bought a cheap front and rear 8 sensor kit. Wired the two side and top as front sensors worked well.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back