Anyone have any spare logic, cos I’ve run out (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Carthago Chic ELine, 7.89 long.

On the way back from polar screens yesterday the Motorhome was weighed. It’s has a payload of 1035 kgs and is plated at 4500kgs. The weigh ticket tells us it weighed 4350kgs.
We haven’t yet loaded it, other for 2 nights away as a test run. The garage was empty other than a small generator, and a few basic tools. The underfloor and side lockers are empty, just cutlery/crockery and cooking utensils inside, plus bedding, we have an awning, sat dish, solar panel and max view fan on the roof, and a gas low system.
We have checked the weight of everything fitted, and weighed anything loose. We previously had the same model and we haven’t yet replaced everything that we had in that.
There was no one inside it at the weigh-bridge, no water and half a tank of fuel. We think that the maximum weight of the load was 350kgs. Hopefully there is 700kgs of gold bars hidden somewhere, but I’m not holding my breath. I am now doubting myself, I know I’m getting old, but I’m not that daft at adding up—-or am I.

Next step is empty it completely and take it to a different weigh bridge.

Any thoughts please.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Perfect example of manufacturers/dealers being economical with the truth about weights.
But yes, I would take to a 2nd weighbridge if that far away from expected?
Or for fun........ take literally everything out of it and get weighed again.... the little generator, cutlery, tools and god knows what we all tend to carry around can weigh a LOT more together than you think.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Have you added any extras? . leveling system? Sat dish? If not I would weigh it empty and see if you do have that payload. How long have you had it? If it is heavier than the dealer told you, and you have that in writing, then you should be able to reject it as not as advertised.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Thanks everyone.
I have Google checked the weight of all of the things on the roof, they only add up to 70plus Kgs, the awning is the heaviest at 50kg. We are in the process of emptying it and will take it to a different weigh bridge tomorrow. Even if I have the add on weights incorrect it's difficult to get it to 1000 Kgs.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Not sure what model you have but looking on the Carthago website and for the cheapest in the range it is 3725 so not 1035kg payload but 775? However that does not answer your question regarding the accuracy of the weighbridge?

Tech. permissible total weight4500 kg
Weight in running order3725 kg
Unladen weight in finished factory condition3510 kg

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
My Carthago Chic, 7m long, weighs 3800kg empty. It does have an awning. My max permissable load is 4250kg.

Pro-rata, I would expect your 7.89m van to weigh about 4300kg.

I always weigh front axle/both axles/rear axle. Helps with calculating the effect of adding stuff to the garage. The 3 weight readings also provide a cross-check on the accuracy of the weighbridge. Variance between the sum of individual axles and both axles was 20kg.

Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
I would speak to the factory and get them to confirm what the weight was when it left the factory.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
E lines are known for being tight on payload a lot of owners uprate them to 4800kg as they are not really runnable at 4500kg.

You can just uprate to 4800 leaving the axles as they are as there is plenty of underfloor storeage to move stuff forward.

If you need to uprate the rear axle you will need rear air or semi-air, uprated tyres and if you have Fiat alloy wheels they will need changing for higher load rating, steels are OK.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What weight is given on the C of C under "technical mass in running order"?
That should be the weight it left the factory at with factory fitted extras.

Don't forget all the extra packs fitted come off the payload the basic super package that no one would buy an E Line without is 113kg, also Carthago's are known to be towards the top of the 5% weight tolerance that would loose another 170kg.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Not sure what model you have but looking on the Carthago website and for the cheapest in the range it is 3725 so not 1035kg payload but 775? However that does not answer your question regarding the accuracy of the weighbridge?

Thanks.. my booklet says weight ready to drive is 3765kg, then the payload is shown as ' up to' 1035kgs. As you say it still raises the question re the accuracy of weigh ticket. This new Chic E Line is the same spec as our previous one, and the majority of its load is still in the garage waiting to be loaded. We don't take bikes or anything else heavy with us, not even Casper any more. We have just finished emptying it and will get it weighed again tomorrow. We asked Camper IK to weight it before we bought it , but it never happened.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
What weight is given on the C of C under "technical mass in running order"?
That should be the weight it left the factory at with factory fitted extras.

Don't forget all the extra packs fitted come off the payload the basic super package that no one would buy an E Line without is 113kg, also Carthago's are known to be towards the top of the 5% weight tolerance that would loose another 170kg.
I am waiting for the dealers to come back to me. We bought this one as it was already in stock so we don't know what extras to take into account as being fitted at the factory, I have asked the question. We are going to update it anyway , I just can't get my head around the weigh ticket figures. It's not like we are new to motorhomes and we have always run well below our allowed weight.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I too have a Carthago albeit Chic C-Line and I too was gobsmacked at my empty weight! Yes it’s got a lot of extras full fuel, full gas and me in it came to 4240 I think. So by time I fill up with water and Chuck the wife and dog in I’m close to maxxing out. I am looking at uprating after Xmas OR possibly running just over using the tolerance allowed (does any one know what that is)😉.
All in all I’m still happy with the Carthago👍

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Weighing it empty may tell you something but you should weigh it as you intend to use it with everything on board including people.
By yesterday’s weigh ticket we couldn’t put water, fuel and ourselves in it and stay legal. I’m sure that there is something wrong with the weighbridge. We will find out tomorrow as the only things left onboard are fastened on the roof, and they have manufacturers weights listed online.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
By yesterday’s weigh ticket we couldn’t put water, fuel and ourselves in it and stay legal. I’m sure that there is something wrong with the weighbridge. We will find out tomorrow as the only things left onboard are fastened on the roof, and they have manufacturers weights listed online.
Although EgLines tend to be on the heavy side it no sound right.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
So what was the outcome at the new weighbridge?

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
So what was the outcome at the new weighbridge?
It was a bit better, but not a lot. We has asked for the MH to be weighed before we bought it, but it never happened. When I rang them this week they sent me a list of factory fitted extras that were not included in the basic vehicle weight. We knew that the awning would not be included, but the gas oven, pull out tv system, auto gearbox and larger bhp engine were a bit of a shock. Why we were not given this paperwork when we asked about the weight I’m not sure. We bought the MH on a whim, we actually went to pay the deposit on a Mercedes Chic C line and whilst waiting for a cup of tea we wandered around the showroom and saw the E Line.
We have taken everything ( I mean everything) out of the vehicle and we have weighed it all. Then going by the latest weigh ticket we will reload, and be careful of what we carry until Mick Leightley takes delivery of some VB air suspension units.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
It was a bit better, but not a lot. We has asked for the MH to be weighed before we bought it, but it never happened. When I rang them this week they sent me a list of factory fitted extras that were not included in the basic vehicle weight. We knew that the awning would not be included, but the gas oven, pull out tv system, auto gearbox and larger bhp engine were a bit of a shock. Why we were not given this paperwork when we asked about the weight I’m not sure. We bought the MH on a whim, we actually went to pay the deposit on a Mercedes Chic C line and whilst waiting for a cup of tea we wandered around the showroom and saw the E Line.
We have taken everything ( I mean everything) out of the vehicle and we have weighed it all. Then going by the latest weigh ticket we will reload, and be careful of what we carry until Mick Leightley takes delivery of some VB air suspension units.
What was the weights?

Aug 31, 2009
Near Long Stratton, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
From the information you have given in your first email I am assuming you have a E Line I 50 LE. The weight ex factory in roadworthy condition as listed is 3765Kg, plus the super package 121kg, plus sat/TV package 38kg, plus awning 55kg comes to 3979kg. If you add the 5% tolerance as quoted by Carthago then you are at 4177kg. That gives you 323kg payload, not quite what you were hoping to hear.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Camoboy is correct it’s an E Line l 50 LE. I know that we can’t do anything to change what we have, we bought what we bought. We have always been so carefull about weight but I cant understand the figures. I think old age is catching up.

On the list that the dealer sent us, the basic vehicle is 3765kg, plus 126kg super package. the rest is listed as extras’ including awning, sockets, oven, 178 hp engine upgrade and auto gearbox upgrade, that’s 117kg. No tv package but on top of that we have fitted an Oyster, 160kw solar and a very light Cello small tv. there was nothing else in the MH when it went to the weighbridge, we emptied it completely.

The weigh ticket is 4.22T overall, 2.20 rear, 1.98 front. That was with 60kg driver, full fuel and no water.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back