Anyone gone all electric? (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Hi considering our next van.
I have seen posts elsewhere where people have massive solar and lithium battery set ups with invertors and dont use gas.
Thinking of this with a diesel combi heat/hot water.
Anyone got any experience of this type of set up or have any thoughts?

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Depends on how much you use the van in the winter, how long you stay in one spot without running the engine, how much cooking you do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The biggest issue is probably water heating for showers and dishes. A sink of hot water will cost you about 10Ah in battery.

OP
OP
P
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Depends on how much you use the van in the winter, how long you stay in one spot without running the engine, how much cooking you do.
Normally 2 trips to Europe of 6 weeks a year sept/oct and feb/march and the odd week in the uk.
We cook in the van with gas and gas bbq a lot and move on every couple of days.
Normally Aires with the odd campsite.

We have upgraded to 350 w solar and 200 ah lithium and never seem to make a demt in it.
Thats what is thinking of ditching the gas.

OP
OP
P
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
I also saw that you could use a conventional domestic fridge, the benefit being they are more efficient?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I also saw that you could use a conventional domestic fridge, the benefit being they are more efficient?
Than compressor motorhome fridges? Maybe a little. But you've also got to run them off of an inverter.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We have moved much closer to gas free, we have a Truma d6e boiler for heating/water which removes the largest gas usage, an induction hob and microwave for cooking. However our fridge is still a 3 way and we still have 2 gas burners and our gas oven for when we need it. We have a 40 litre gas tank which I think will last about a year between refills! Off grid all electric from 200amp of lithium powered by 2000w inverter and recharged by 60amp b2b and 120w solar. We think we may have the best of all worlds.

OP
OP
P
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
We have moved much closer to gas free, we have a Truma d6e boiler for heating/water which removes the largest gas usage, an induction hob and microwave for cooking. However our fridge is still a 3 way and we still have 2 gas burners and our gas oven for when we need it. We have a 40 litre gas tank which I think will last about a year between refills! Off grid all electric from 200amp of lithium powered by 2000w inverter and recharged by 60amp b2b and 120w solar. We think we may have the best of all worlds.
That sounds perfect but we are looking at a 6m van so restricted to one or the other i think.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
That sounds perfect but we are looking at a 6m van so restricted to one or the other i think.
You should take a look at Wildax vans, there MAN model is gas free but they are very flexible about swapping around components on others.

OP
OP
P
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Than compressor motorhome fridges? Maybe a little. But you've also got to run them off of an inverter.
Here is a thread on them seems it would work for us as we will be having a big battery set up.

OP
OP
P
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
You should take a look at Wildax vans, there MAN model is gas free but they are very flexible about swapping around components on others.
That looks really interesting, only drawback for us is we want to store our bikes inside so would need a raised fixed bed at the back.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
More and more people are doing it, they tend to use deisel for heat and water.

at least 400-600 ah, as much solar as you can fit plus decent b2bs

I have 400ah 600 solar and if wasnt in the uk could go all leccy all year full time no problem

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We very often go a few days without using our gas hob at all so that is electric for induction cooking outside, electric kettle, microwave, coffee machine etc etc, the fridge is still on gas but I reckon if it was compressor we would use up to 2.5Kwh per day, not all that comes from our 520watts of solar so we have 640ah of lithium, all that said every case is different so you really need to do your own calculations and don’t forget to consider what would happen if one of you was poorly for a few days and you had to stay put.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
My own view is that electric cooking is not practical at the moment (and expensive), so I use bioethanol for cooking. Doesn't smell, practical, clean, safe, but I'm happy cooking with two burners and nothing else, which I guess most people here aren't. However, these burners are getting very difficult to find now, and I had to import my Origo from a shop in Canada which had stock.

If you're happy with that, I'd say there's zero reason to have gas, and good reason not to use it, so I don't. I've got a cheap domestic fridge and run the inverter 24/7 to power stuff. Domestic fridges come in at less than 13W. This is, I think, a lot less than 12V fridges, but it's difficult to be sure because manufacturers go to extraordinary lengths to hide power consumption figures for 12V fridges.

However, inverters tend not to be particularly efficient at low outputs, so if you're constanly running at less than 50W you're going to lose something there. I'm just guessing, but efficiency might drop to something like 80%. My inverter is only 500W, so no hairdriers/toasters/microwaves/etc. Might think about upping the inverter and getting a microwave next time round.

I've never had a problem running the inverter 24/7, driving or not. Uncommon here, but more common in the US, I think.

I have an Eberspacher for hot water and heating. Expensive (about 2K with installation? forgotten), but lots of people use cheap Chinese kit, and I haven't heard of any problems.

Depending on how you use the van, you can get away with a very modest electric setup. I tend to be away for a week or a little longer, and never use sites (so no EHU) unless I need to empty the loo. Short shower (20L, takes some practice) and some clothes drying most days, which means the diesel burner has to be on for maybe 20 minutes, and maybe another 30 mins if you don't like cold mornings. Driving most days. With 100Ah Lithium, 150W solar, I expect the battery to be at about 80% most mornings, and a short drive will fill it, sun or not. The only real issue is water, which I have to find every 2 or 3 days. Ideally, I'd have a 150L tank, but fitting that in a PVC is difficult.

I have mainly Victron electrics, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you can't find anything else. I've got a list of niggling issues, but most people seem to think they're God's gift. One thing to watch out for is that very few people (including Victron) properly support LiFeP04 batteries, so you're constantly messing around with charge profiles, trying to work out if 14.4V is enough, and so on.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
That looks really interesting, only drawback for us is we want to store our bikes inside so would need a raised fixed bed at the back.
IMG_2069.jpeg

Our rear boot, pictured during lithium install. We carry 2 electric bromptons with us all the time, but you could get full sized bikes in with front wheels off I would think?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No intention of ever going 'all electric'.. perfectly happy with the way we have done it for many many years ..

Gas for cooking and hot water, diesel heater , 12v compressor fridge , with a pair of FLA batteries and 150 watt solar .. works for us.

If the setup you have is reliable and does what you need why would you spend serious money on lithium batteries, inverter and charging kit to go all electric ?
As a keen cook I would never part with my gas cooker.

Not suggesting that upgrading existing FLAs to Lithium wouldn't be a worth while.. .. but not to go all electric.. no thanks.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
That looks good, what size van have you?
It’s a Mercedes sprinter, wildax Elara, 7m long, so same as the DPD drivers! We had a 6.36 Fiat van before, don’t find any disadvantages with the slight increase in length.

Dec 16, 2018
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Sprinter (Selfbuild)
Exp
Since 2006
We are all electric 320ah Roamer battery, 390w solar 3000w inverter, twin induction hob, Nespresso coffee machine, Toaster, kettle, hair dryer, diesel heating/hot water, compressor fridge + separate compressor freezer.
Didn't use EHU all summer in UK, France, Spain or Portugal, have been in Scotland for last 24 days and have used EHU for 6 days so far plus solar and DC-DC charger.
Wouldn't go back to gas. Just my view though.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Interesting thread with a good article

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
No gas, currently running 160w Solar but awaiting fitting 300w panel, 12v only Thetford fridge, Wallas Diesel heater hob for cooking, Bosch 800w Microwave via 3000w Pure sine wave invertor and 110ah lithium battery. All works well for us !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can get diesel hobs from a couple of manufacturers. From what I've heard they aren't exactly perfect but I have no experience of them otherwise. Webasto make one and there is also Wallas who also make a diesel oven.

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
I'm interested in this. For me I like the idea if self sufficiancy. It's free, from the sun/solar. Since we changed vans our heating is diesel so use very little gas anyway and this has prompted me to think this way.
OK I see what you are seeing up to a point.

It is free minus the capital investment and the loss on that investment when you come to sell.

Our MH has a small solar panel and small invertor and it is brilliant but any large demands are satisfied by gas.

When using the MH we have never used EHU, just plugged it in on the drive to test the systems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back