LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Ah, that takes me back. We would visit our grandmother in Merthyr and dad would drive us to Pontsarn where we would picnic under that bridge and marvel at the Blue Pool where people would dive! :Eeek:
Happy days.:thumb:

Wyn
Pontsarn, you'll find it just North of Merthyr Tydfil and near the Brecon mountain railway. Years ago you could park up under it and camp, they have stopped that now.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I peeked I realised it wasn't as bad as I thought because it's level and there are wind baffles so you can't see over the side. We have been over it since.

Well done. It's all in the mind, tell that to behave and you can do anything.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I love 'em! The first time I saw the Pont De Normandie I took a big gulp as we approached but loved going over it. Now it's the highlight of the journey as we approach Honfleur! The Millau bridge is incredible when viewed from below but rather disappointing to drive across as you cannot see past the barriers so it is no different from any other stretch of motorway. I still cannot imagine how they managed to build the thing, being so high up in the air. How did they get cranes up there? The last time we were approacing it the were people hang-gliding down to, and underneath it! Amazing.

Wyn

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
you are right wynandjean.that is a great bridge viewed from below.not so good driving over it no view from the bridge.but I would loved to see the hang gliders going over and under it.must go back.thanks for that.:thumb::thumb:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
give me a bridge rather than a tunnel anyday, although just having looked at the height and length of that millau bridge........................gulp:Eeek:

amazing piece of engineering though..

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I love 'em! The first time I saw the Pont De Normandie I took a big gulp as we approached but loved going over it. Now it's the highlight of the journey as we approach Honfleur! The Millau bridge is incredible when viewed from below but rather disappointing to drive across as you cannot see past the barriers so it is no different from any other stretch of motorway. I still cannot imagine how they managed to build the thing, being so high up in the air. How did they get cranes up there? The last time we were approacing it the were people hang-gliding down to, and underneath it! Amazing.

Wyn

Was just going to say same thing.

Gutted I never got to drive across Millau Bridge. But realised a few years after that my OH and I did see it. We stopped in an observation place on way back from picking up motorhome.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Years ago you could park up under it and camp, they have stopped that now.
That's probably BECAUSE it's near Merthyr Tydfil.
Not an area I'm in any real hurry to go back to....:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back