Anyone changed to a better solar controller and how ? (1 Viewer)

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
On our Apache we have a factory fitted solar panel and associated electrical boxes etc but even on very sunny days the sargent display over the hab door never reads over 1.0 amp charge . Looking at other people’s posts on other sections of Motorhome Fun it seems that this is a very low amount. My question is twofold really

1 ) Is the display telling lies and the real amount is considerably higher than this and

2 ) If I wanted to fit a better (MPPT) controller how the heck do you gain access to the wiring inside the big Sargent Ecu box and how complicated would it be to wire an mppt controller into the system ?

Thank you

Apache

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Firstly your solar will only charge the batteries if they need it, assuming they do 1amp is low but how much solar do you have?

You could do some check of voltage from the panel to see how that is performing and assuming you could get to the wires you could put an ammeter in-line to the batteries and check the display reading.

if I was changing I might be tempted to go straight to the batteries from a MPPT regulator and the some stand alone monitor but I don’t know if this would upset the Sargent, I like Votronic and you can just plug in their solar computer that will show what you are getting.

Martin

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
I think it’s a 100W panel and the engine battery still ran too low to start despite the Sargent unit having smart capability and is set to do that . In fairness it’s only happened once so far . As far as checking voltage and amperage at the panel we’ll thats beyond my abilities .
Thanks for your input though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just in case you are not aware..
Smart charge facility will only work to both batteries ( cab and leisure) when the shutdown switch is left ON..
If you are turning it off on the EC500 then even on smart charge it will only do the leisure.

As Funflair states, batteries will only take what they need so if they are near full you may well see a low figure, the way to test on a sunny day is go around and turn on lots of 12v items and you should see the amps increase.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I'd previously fitted a 100w panel to my EC325 charger, using a cable supplied by Sargent (plugs into the underside of the EC325). Back in the winter, I added another 150w panel, disconnecting the Sargent plug from the EC325 and using a Votronic MPPT controller instead, connected directly to my two hab batteries The display on the solar computer, plus the Nasa BM-1 battery monitor, is telling me all I need to know.

The Sargent display panel still mirrors the charge/discharge figures shown on the other monitors, except for the consumption of my 12v compressor fridge, which is connected directly from the battery bank.

My Votronic also supplies the starter battery directly, so no issues with switching charging destinations.

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Just in case you are not aware..
Smart charge facility will only work to both batteries ( cab and leisure) when the shutdown switch is left ON..
If you are turning it off on the EC500 then even on smart charge it will only do the leisure.

As Funflair states, batteries will only take what they need so if they are near full you may well see a low figure, the way to test on a sunny day is go around and turn on lots of 12v items and you should see the amps increase.

Thanks Tonka, yes I’m aware of the isolation switch situation, I discovered that way back when it was new and always leave it on .

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Pete5996- what sort of amperage are you seeing now ?

Hardly any, actually - about 1-2 amps at most, and it's been like that since I added the panel as the camper is parked up and all batteries are at 100%. I'm heading out for a long weekend on Friday and will get a better idea when I'm using the equipment.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Just been out with a meter, full sun, late afternoon at about 25-30deg to the horizon. I have 20.1v from the panels going into the Votronic, so plenty available. Hab batts are 13.2v. Currently (sorry about the pun!) there's about 0.2A going to the batteries.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
my 100 watt panel this morning was showing 3.2a charge and batteries were 12.8 leisure, dual batteries, and 13.2 cab. ATM they are both 13.4 and solar is 0.4a charge

i'm adding another 120w mono panel via a Victron Smart 75-15 MPPT controller totally separate from the Sargent unit to give me dual systems

The batteries are Banner 95ah stop/start ones as fitted to the Comanche as standard, i'm debating whether or not to bin these, not sure why as they are only 18 mths old and behaving perfectly, and replace them with what??

any ideas or am i just spending money for nothing......... as usual lol

BTW. I was advised by Sargent to keep the systems separate so as not the overload the built in controller

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I disconnected the cables going into the factory fitted Sargent 10 Amp regulator fitted at the rear of the P.S.U. and then connected to a 10 AMP MPPT regulator without any issues. All works as before and now leave the Sargent regulator in situ as a spare. I have a second 125W S.P. wired direcetly to the Leisure batteries with its own regulator. Both regulators work together when required.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I find the smart charging can get its knickers in a twist sometimes, if it happens I shut the whole lot down and start again and it sorts it's self out. I also fitted a victron solar controller, just drop the wires over from old to new, you may want to increase the wire size.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I disconnected the cables going into the factory fitted Sargent 10 Amp regulator fitted at the rear of the P.S.U. and then connected to a 10 AMP MPPT regulator without any issues. All works as before and now leave the Sargent regulator in situ as a spare. I have a second 125W S.P. wired direcetly to the Leisure batteries with its own regulator. Both regulators work together when required.

hi Phil

what MPPT reg did you fit in place of the Sargent one and has it improved charge rate

I’m maybe now leaning towards coupling both original and new panels in parallel and going with the Victron, this will save me making another hole in the roof as well but i’ll lose the over cab door display I think

Has anyone else done this and retained the overhead display

Al

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have an Apache, have had the panel over the door changed twice, the latest one isn't much different than the others when it comes to solar charging readings, as we've never had any problems since having the Battery Master fitted we don't take any notice of the readings from the panel.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We have an Apache, have had the panel over the door changed twice, the latest one isn't much different than the others when it comes to solar charging readings, as we've never had any problems since having the Battery Master fitted we don't take any notice of the readings from the panel.

whats a battery master Rob?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
hi Phil

what MPPT reg did you fit in place of the Sargent one and has it improved charge rate

I’m maybe now leaning towards coupling both original and new panels in parallel and going with the Victron, this will save me making another hole in the roof as well but i’ll lose the over cab door display I think

Has anyone else done this and retained the overhead display

Al
I have retained the control panel display as the 10 Amp MPPT regulator on my 120 W S P is connected to the same wires that were going into and out of the Sargent Regulator. The other S P wired directly to the leisure batteries with its own regulator but the other regulator sensing what is happening to leisure batteries ( and cab battery) and shows on Sargent display. The MPPT regulator I chose is the one from photonic Universe. Great Reviews.

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Looks interesting PhilandMena, what connects to the “Load “ terminals ?

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Thanks again PhilandMena. I’m still not clear ( or just thick ) as to what is a “load” in this context but if I go down this route I will do as suggested and just swap all the wires from one to t’other ?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks again PhilandMena. I’m still not clear ( or just thick ) as to what is a “load” in this context but if I go down this route I will do as suggested and just swap all the wires from one to t’other ?
I'm in the same boat too. A load is basically when volts or amps are going into or out of a device. Someone will be along shortly to correct that, for certain.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I was up at my MH yesterday. Very hot and Sunny. All batteries at 14.4v and charge rate from solar 0a. Turned on inverter to run my large mains fan, which pulled 7.5A from solar with battery charge still zero and 14.4v. The solar will only provide what is needed.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018

load can be more or less anything, lights, usb sockets, pumps or water heaters or whatever

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Ok , so what would be connected to the terminals on the solar controller labelled “Load” ?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If your referring to the Photonicuniverse MPPT regulator, you can leave as is. This refers to a small device you may want to power direct from the MPPT Regulator, some lights etc. I did not attach anything to mine and the regulator did what I wanted it to do. Just follow the instruction in the manual and when you come to set up the Regulator make sure the load is switched off, unless you want to power some low currant devices from it.

OP
OP
Apache

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Thanks folks , that’s a lot clearer now ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back