Anybody been to Blaye lately (Gironde estuary) (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We love visiting Blaye and usually stay at the free Aire at the Chateau Marquis de Vauban. Just perusing Google maps and street view and it seems they are constructing a large municipal Aire on the opposite side of the road to the entrance to the Chateau. Looks like there are about 80 spaces and they are going to charge for entry but has electricity. It is not on CampingContact yet.

Anybody been there lately and had a look?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is it another, camping carpark? :(
Hope it doesn't mean the old Aire in the town is doomed, one of our favourites.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Is it another, camping carpark? :(
Hope it doesn't mean the old Aire in the town is doomed, one of our favourites.
Not sure about that. The notice on the wall suggests it is being funded by the Town and Department Government.

We usually used the Aire at the Chateau because it was free including EHU. Also they did a 4 course lunch with free wine (theirs of course) which was good value for what you got.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
According to park4night it's a new municipal one not camping carparks at the moment.
Screenshot_20210902-125858-769.png

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We love visiting Blaye and usually stay at the free Aire at the Chateau Marquis de Vauban. Just perusing Google maps and street view and it seems they are constructing a large municipal Aire on the opposite side of the road to the entrance to the Chateau. Looks like there are about 80 spaces and they are going to charge for entry but has electricity. It is not on CampingContact yet.

There was some spare ground between the chateau and the sports club As I recall the last time we were there they had blocked off any entrances to the area to stop travellers. So a good use of the land. It will be a shame if the chateau closes it's Aire as it was ok and cheap even if you had a couple of meals etc with free wine and free overnight stops.Not much in Blaye but the citidal is well worth a look around.

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014

Interesting as we are heading there on Monday and plan to use the Chateau aire. Do you need to call to book? I’ll look for that new aire and report back to you but I really like the idea of the Chateau one

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
No need to book the chateau ,lots of spaces, We were there Aug and got hammered by mosquitoes .
DSC_0040-600.jpg

Marques de Vauban  Blaye-600.jpg

Last edited:

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Fabulous thank you. I’ll investigate that aire for you while I’m there

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We really like the municipal camping in the fort, it's very cheap and has excellent views. We haven't been there this year. The problem with the aires between the castle and the river, is that if it's really hot, the heat reflects off the stones, and you bake. That and the dust generated by the vans moving, or by the wind. I was toying with going there this month, but will see which way the steering wheel turns. Provided we get through the border control at Folkestone. The market in Blaye is great.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Fabulous thank you. I’ll investigate that aire for you while I’m there
Make sure that you have a look at the citidal ,it's well worth a walk around.its only a 10 min walk from the chateau. (y)

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014

Stayed there on 03 August.

Very smart new purpose built Aire. Barrier controlled and Bank Card only. Large spacious pitches which slope slightly.

6.60 euros including EHU, fresh water, emptying etc.

15 minute walk to the Citadel.

Note that if you've used it before the parking which is on P4N and S4S right on the harbourside is clearly marked as daytime parking only. The French seem to a fairly cavalier view of that restriction, but we didn't want to take the risk, and it was the same price to park there anyway.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Interesting as we are heading there on Monday and plan to use the Chateau aire. Do you need to call to book? I’ll look for that new aire and report back to you but I really like the idea of the Chateau one
I don't think they do bookings for staying, when we were there it was first come first in. As long as you get there mid afternoon there should be places. I have seen latecomers not getting places. But if you want the lunch meal they do take bookings for that, if they are still doing that.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We are currently sat at the Chateau Aire (one more night before we leave tomorrow). Still free and still as nice as ever. There were about 20 moho's here yesterday but now about 10 left here.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Citadelle camping closed from 4th September this year due to bad behaviour!

It wasn't us,! Last time I looked at the chateau aire overnighting was banned, and it's only been free by virtue of the fact that the payment machine keeps getting vandelised. Again, not guilty m'lord. But we had planned to go to the municipal on the way home, so that's good info. Don't fancy the new Aires though, no shade.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It wasn't us,! Last time I looked at the chateau aire overnighting was banned, and it's only been free by virtue of the fact that the payment machine keeps getting vandelised. Again, not guilty m'lord. But we had planned to go to the municipal on the way home, so that's good info. Don't fancy the new Aires though, no shade.
I think you are confusing your Aires. There are no machines on the Chateau Aire and it has always been free for at least the last 7 years. The Aire on the harbour had the dodgy machines but overnighting is now banned there. Instead you will need to use the new large municipal Aire. The entrance to that is opposite the entrance for the Chateau.

The Chateau has shade on some of their pitches. The new municipal one does not have shade at the moment but some trees have been planted there.

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Just taken these photos of the Aire near the river front adjacent to the Citadel. No overnight parking allowed and they direct you to the Aire opposite the Chateau

IMG_20220912_150112_773.jpg

IMG_20220912_145942_337.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I think you are confusing your Aires. There are no machines on the Chateau Aire and it has always been free for at least the last 7 years. The Aire on the harbour had the dodgy machines but overnighting is now banned there. Instead you will need to use the new large municipal Aire. The entrance to that is opposite the entrance for the Chateau.

The Chateau has shade on some of their pitches. The new municipal one does not have shade at the moment but some trees have been planted there.
Yes, I was. Confusing chateau Vauban with the Citadel. Sorry.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Despite it being recommended, I thought the citadel campsite was all a bit jaded and too enclosed. I went instead to the new municipal aire which at 6 euro is good value, with good pitch sizes. The chateau was rammed ( the only UK vans when I was in Blaye were crammed into the chateau). As previously stated, spend €50 at the chateau and you get a 2 night stay at the municipal aire paid for. I personally wouldn't give them a penny and am not interested in their over-priced food and wine. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Despite it being recommended, I thought the citadel campsite was all a bit jaded and too enclosed. I went instead to the new municipal aire which at 6 euro is good value, with good pitch sizes. The chateau was rammed ( the only UK vans when I was in Blaye were crammed into the chateau). As previously stated, spend €50 at the chateau and you get a 2 night stay at the municipal aire paid for. I personally wouldn't give them a penny and am not interested in their over-priced food and wine. Just my opinion.
I have often stayed at the Chateau and have never felt rammed in. Pitches are less regimented than the new Aire and have more room for sitting out. They are not pushy about you buying their wines and food. We have often stayed and not bought anything.

Also stayed at the new Aire this spring. It was OK but the pitches were closer together. Main concern was the slow flow of the water at the Bourne. The place was less than half full and there was a queue of motorhomes in the morning waiting to get water. I was OK as I filled up the evening before but I would think it would be long wait when the Aire is full.

All in all I still prefer the Chateau, but if I could not get in there I would happily use the Aire instead. Even though the cost of staying there would have paid for over a bottle of the Chateau's "over-priced" Bordeaux wine.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
It's good that we have honest comments from different funsters, what suits one person might never suit another person. All I suggest is that if agreeing or disagreeing, we (me included) say what we like/dislike so that others can come to their own conclusions as to whether they should go there or not.

I like the Chateau because it's more personal ( I prefer to interact with people not a ticket machine), I have never felt pressured into buying anything and I prefer the less regimented parking regime.

BUT the mossies this time have been very pleased to see us ..... along with the flying ants that invaded our evening meal on the picnic bench !

We leave here tomorrow for somewhere.... Right or Left ...????

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Chateau for us.
Shade; free inc electric; grass; benches and tables; free aperitif if you want; stayed 4 nights on way down and back, meal if you want had one - wife enjoyed hers - I didn't particularly; no need to spend anything; 3 bottle box 18€ so 2 nights and box (3bottles) of wine for 6€.
Pays your money (or not) and ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back