Any thoughts on the various trackers? (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Quite a while.....though not long enough
Hi,

Looking at fitting a tracker, will likely wire nothing more complicated than a positive and negative to it (i.e I won't be using any fancy features to immobilize or the likes).

I like the thought of a cheap Hong Kong Phooey job off eBay, but I do worry about the quality of internal batteries that are constantly wired to a charging source, and the associated fire hazards puts me off them. I would prefer a directly wired unit without a battery if such a unit exists?

Been looking at the DD1 (lite and advanced), the DB2, and the TK103.

Have any of you got any thoughts or experiences of them, good or bad, or any other recommendations?

TIA

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Making a decision would be so much easier if there wasn't so many rebadged / clones of each other, with quite a swing in price.

Anyone?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I used a Rewire tracker for a while, I think it was the 102.This was when I had to keep the van on a storage unit while we had building work done. I just used it on its internal battery which to be replaced every 4 days or so. I did buy a charging unit but never fitted it, partly for the reason you mention - fire risk.

The problem is if it did cause damage would your insurance cover it if it had not been professionally installed by someone with their own liability insurance they can counter claim on?

These cheap trackers can be fairly easily jammed but it worked and could get a fix and send a signal when fitted just under the van's metal roof.

If you try installing one fit the smallest possible fuse you can get, half an amp say. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Hi DBK,

I think the Rewire DB1 or DB2 is looking favourite as they seem to be the most "main stream", I would want it "fit and forget" though so would have to hard wire it to the Van, and herein lies my problem with the internal battery.

I'd rather try and find one that uses nothing other than the 12v from the Van to power it (like say your car stereo or TV does).

Unsure if one exists?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi DBK,

I think the Rewire DB1 or DB2 is looking favourite as they seem to be the most "main stream", I would want it "fit and forget" though so would have to hard wire it to the Van, and herein lies my problem with the internal battery.

I'd rather try and find one that uses nothing other than the 12v from the Van to power it (like say your car stereo or TV does).

Unsure if one exists?
I would be surprised if they do but could be wrong and usually am of course. :) It would be too easily disabled by disconnecting the vehicle battery and the internal battery regulates the voltage.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a DB2 from Rewire Security.
very pleased with it and the fact it is being marketed by a decent company and CE marked must mean it is safe.
don’t forget, most electrical equipment (including their lithium batteries, including all Smartphones) are probably made in China or thereabouts, anyway.
Even my Leica camera had an OEM battery made in Vietnam!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I guess it would be possible to remotely mount the battery, say on the chassis underneath but soldering would be fiddly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back