Any experience with the Ghost Immobiliser? (1 Viewer)

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
We are soon changing our Malibu PVC for a new coach built MH, so I‘m looking into security solutions for it.

We currently have a Growler alarm and the non starter immobiliser on the Malibu. Whilst the non starter definitely gives peace of mind and great security, I always find it tiresome to disengage it with the Metatrak app every time we stop for fuel or a meal on a journey, so I set it to service mode and then turn that mode off when pitched, to re-enable the immobiliser.

I was also left in deep s..t once in Cornwall when I stopped to read a map blocking the driveway to a busy camp site and discovered that there was no GSM signal to disarm the non starter. It was before the update to the Metatrak app with the emergency unlock command. Luckily, I finally found the tag buried in a drawer, but I wasn’t popular at that point.

I was chatting about this with one of the wardens at Abbey Wood recently, who is switching to a MH from a caravan and was definitely going for a Ghost immobiliser rather than the Van Bitz non starter.

He particularly liked the fact that there are no bluetooth or wireless connectivities (which are susceptible to man in the middle and spoofing attacks) with the Ghost. He also liked the “pin code” method of deactivation using a unique dashboard button sequence rather than using an app. I also believe that there is no annual subscription involved like there is with Metatrak.

So does anybody have any experience with the Ghost immobilser?

Thanks.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If you use the Metatrak plus app you can turn the immobiliser off and it will stay off until you turn it on again in the app, it's much easier to use then the old app, if you download and install it you just have to sign in with your details and it will work, you may need to turn the immobiliser off in the old app first.

OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
Thanks for that, ChrisL. I do use the Metatrak Plus app, but haven't used that switch to turn the Engine Immobiliser switch on and off. I will try that, but the system is still dependent on a GSM signal, which is one of the reasons why I’m thinking about Ghost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
I happily recommend the Ghost.

Inputting the pin becomes second nature very quickly.
It's very unobtrusive and easy to use, just remember to put it in service mode when you take in into the garage and leave it there DAMHIK.

The app is really easy to use too, and the monitoring staff are really helpful. Yep I'm a big fan.

The only (obvious) downside is that it, like others, is invisible, soo needs to be used with a visible deterrent. I use additional door locks to dissuade casual break ins -

but if they really want to ...etc..

OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
I happily recommend the Ghost.

Inputting the pin becomes second nature very quickly.
It's very unobtrusive and easy to use, just remember to put it in service mode when you take in into the garage and leave it there DAMHIK.

The app is really easy to use too, and the monitoring staff are really helpful. Yep I'm a big fan.
Thanks. This is what I thought. Is there an annual subscription? I wasn’t sure.

percy poppleton

Free Member
Feb 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
laika
I have a ghost on a few cars works alongside the cobra , just pick a simple combo pin

Reactions: CRD
Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
Had ghost on our previous van. You can pretty much be certain it won't be stolen (except maybe on a low-loader) but the thief won't know that until he's damaged your vehicle breaking in and tried to start it.

Jul 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I had a ghost on my car
Thought it was very good and nothing to carry around.
Was going to get one on our Motorhome but insure insisted on a cat 1 alarm and a tracker 🤦🏻‍♂️
Think the ghost would of been far more affective

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for that, ChrisL. I do use the Metatrak Plus app, but haven't used that switch to turn the Engine Immobiliser switch on and off. I will try that, but the system is still dependent on a GSM signal, which is one of the reasons why I’m thinking about Ghost.
AshVanBitz - is that correct? I thought my raptor system was independent. Thanks

OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
I had a ghost on my car
Thought it was very good and nothing to carry around.
Was going to get one on our Motorhome but insure insisted on a cat 1 alarm and a tracker 🤦🏻‍♂️
Think the ghost would of been far more affective
My insurance company also insist on a Cat 1 alarm and S5 tracker, but I’m thinking of using Ghost as an additional layer of security that won’t be declared to the insurer (so that it doesn’t form part of the insurance policy, even if it may reduce the premium).

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
CRD

We've been using the Ghost system for almost 2 years, it was chosen over a Vanbitz system as it suited our needs better.

We have found it fantastic, simple to use, flawless, secure and a reasonable price.

No subscription, it does have Bluetooth functionality, if you switch it on, but I would not recommend using it as it's not required.

We have ours set to cut out if it's put in gear.

Cheers
Red

OP
OP
C

CRD

Apr 15, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 DL
Exp
3 Years
Thanks. That is reassuring. I think it will suit our needs better than the Non starter system too, and to not have to subscribe to Metatrak is a real bonus.

AshVanBitz

Funster
Aug 7, 2018
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1989
AshVanBitz - is that correct? I thought my raptor system was independent. Thanks
There a different versions to the Non Starter and it functionality. Over the years we have improved on how the system operates and this was down to customer feedback.
The version that CRD has automatically arms the immobilisation when the ignition is turned off. To disable the immobilisation you then need to access the mobile app or use the separate ID Tag.
The latest system (when install independently to the Shadow VTS tracker) does not do this and it is manually set and unset through the app at the users discretion. It also has the emergency override feature built into the app so no need for additional fobs.
DuxDeluxe Your Raptor system automatically arms and disarms both the immobilisation and the OBD isolator when your keys are moved in and out of range of the motorhome. The app is used as a secondary protector and stops the system from talking to your trackers ID Tags. There is no separate subscription for the Non Starter as it is included in the subscription for the Shadow VTS S5 tracking system.
CRD your current system could be modified remotely by speaking with MetaTrak. They can remove the automatic immobilisation feature and then you can arm and disarm this when it is required. The new app has the emergency override built into the software (which does not require a gsm signal to access) so you shouldn’t need your separate override fob.
Kindest regards
Ash

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There a different versions to the Non Starter and it functionality. Over the years we have improved on how the system operates and this was down to customer feedback.
The version that CRD has automatically arms the immobilisation when the ignition is turned off. To disable the immobilisation you then need to access the mobile app or use the separate ID Tag.
The latest system (when install independently to the Shadow VTS tracker) does not do this and it is manually set and unset through the app at the users discretion. It also has the emergency override feature built into the app so no need for additional fobs.
DuxDeluxe Your Raptor system automatically arms and disarms both the immobilisation and the OBD isolator when your keys are moved in and out of range of the motorhome. The app is used as a secondary protector and stops the system from talking to your trackers ID Tags. There is no separate subscription for the Non Starter as it is included in the subscription for the Shadow VTS S5 tracking system.
CRD your current system could be modified remotely by speaking with MetaTrak. They can remove the automatic immobilisation feature and then you can arm and disarm this when it is required. The new app has the emergency override built into the software (which does not require a gsm signal to access) so you shouldn’t need your separate override fob.
Kindest regards
Ash
Thanks….. I knew you would make it all clear

Apr 2, 2019
England, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Arto 88EK
Exp
Since 2005
Another vote for the Ghost, simple to use, as mentioned entering the disarm sequence becomes second nature. I don't use the phone app as I don't know how secure it would be, I prefer the manual approach.

Reactions: CRD
Oct 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Currently looking
Exp
returning
Am I right to presume that a Ghost will invalidate your engine warranty? My understanding is you could put it in valet mode before taking it to a garage and they probably wouldn't be aware of it, but...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back