Any clues? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Does anyone know what this type of bolt is called? It is one of four that hold the steps on to my Ace Siena and as part of a project to replace a soft patch in the floor which is has made the steps unsafe to use, I need to replace at least two of them and knowing what they are actually called might help.

Attachments

• IMG_20220214_112841203.jpg
    IMG_20220214_112841203.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 110

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Looks like a coach bolt with a dirty head. Get them from Toolstation or Screwfix. Take the old one in and they should help.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Does anyone know what this type of bolt is called? It is one of four that hold the steps on to my Ace Siena and as part of a project to replace a soft patch in the floor which is has made the steps unsafe to use, I need to replace at least two of them and knowing what they are actually called might help.

Could it be some sort of Carriage Bolt? Even if not, with the help of an angle grinder, one could be made to fit perhaps? :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I take it it has a flat head so could it be replaced with a countersunk bolt like this 👍

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
It's a captive countersunk bolt. Basically it locks itself into the wooden flooring when you tighten it up underneath. A Large headed countersunk would suffice . Just need a person above with a allen key or equivalent whilst you go underneath to tighten the nut up

Kev ;) (y)

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
if there’s a Brabbin and Rudd near you take it to them. I’ve always found them to be helpful.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
T
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for the replies thus far. I think "captive countersunk bolt" comes closest to what it probably is. It is not a standard coach bolt with a dirty head - it is clearly designed to dig in to the floor as it is tightened from below to enable you to tighten it - a great idea in theory but if, like Swift (Ace), you make your floor out of soft plywood (no marine ply for them) and add a little dampness plus a rusty thread, and it becomes a completely useless idea in practice. Plan B will be a different type of countersunk bolt but I am still curious to know whether these bolts are peculiar to Swift or in more general use across the coachbuilding industry.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Thanks for the replies thus far. I think "captive countersunk bolt" comes closest to what it probably is. It is not a standard coach bolt with a dirty head - it is clearly designed to dig in to the floor as it is tightened from below to enable you to tighten it - a great idea in theory but if, like Swift (Ace), you make your floor out of soft plywood (no marine ply for them) and add a little dampness plus a rusty thread, and it becomes a completely useless idea in practice. Plan B will be a different type of countersunk bolt but I am still curious to know whether these bolts are peculiar to Swift or in more general use across the coachbuilding industry.

Just a thought, do you really want a countersunk bolt because, as you have found out, moisture accumulates around the top, because its lower than the surround, and runs down the shaft??
If you had a slightly domed bolt you could surround it with a rubber washer for example??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
By way of an update, whilst I have not yet been able to source one, I believe these bolts to be known as "elevator bolts" or "bucket bolts". Being able to name them hasn't helped much as I haven't yet found a UK source for them (none of the mainstream Screwfix etc have them) and neither did the wonderfully named "Thunderbolts" down the road in Southampton, despite having been taken over by a German firm that does stock them (although not in the correct dimensions and only available in multiples of 100). Plan B will be a coach bolt type solution but I have yet to find a flat head version which is really what I need as the bolt head should be flush to the floor rather than domed . . . .

Upvote 1
Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Unless you’ve broken one, refurbish them. They’ll come up like new with a brass wire wheel or similar.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
So I have finally managed to not only find out what these bolts are actually called but also to purchase 4 of the shiny little suckers (thanks to Kevin from Green Caravan Services for pointing me in the direction of MandJ Caravans who not only knew what they are called but gave me a part number to enter in to the order form at Prima Leisure.

For those who have been unable to sleep at night worrying, what we are dealing with here is Floor Fixing Bolts and not only were they in stock but also priced at a very reasonable 1p each (I have pointed out to Prima Leisure that there might be a mistake in their online order form but hope they will not be billing me the real price, whatever it is).

So the steps are off the van, the next step is to remove the fly screen and the bulkhead behind the passenger seat and get on with having the damp bits cut out and nice new epoxied marine ply put in. Yay.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Floor Fixing Bolts

There has to be something more specific than 'Floor fixing bolts'!!
Put that in a search engine, as I did, and about fifty different bolts are shown, none of which look like yours but well done anyway! (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
There has to be something more specific than 'Floor fixing bolts'!!
Put that in a search engine, as I did, and about fifty different bolts are shown, none of which look like yours but well done anyway! (y)
Indeed - tricky things to find but in the end I had a specific part number to work with on a specific website. Don't think I would have found them otherwise. For those interested, the part number is 1430011 and the website is https://www.primaleisure.com

Interestingly (or not, depending on your boredom threshold) Swift UK were totally unhelpful/disinterested and I end up buying what I need from a site dealing in Bailey spares.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back