Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I’m interested if anyone has done this?

I regularly do an antibody test as part of a UK government survey of teaching staff. To date it has always come back negative suggesting I am unlikely to have had the virus.
I was vaccinated 2 weeks ago (AOZ) and there was, for the first time, a check box on the antibody test e-form asking if I had been vaccinated.
So my questions are
- can the test distinguish antibodies from vaccine and antibodies from having had covid
and, more importantly,
- does the absence of antibodies indicate the vaccine has not been successful?

Last edited:

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I asked got this:
As a sideline do mystery shopping took on a schedule,maybe able to move some to another.
As the immune system purges a virus, B cells that recognize it will stand down, and antibody levels will decline. But a few lingering B cells will continue to eke out a small number of antibodies for weeks, months, even years after the initial threat has passed, leaving traces in the blood that sensitive antibody tests can easily pick up.

Since the appearance of antibodies lags behind that of the virus, diagnostics experts don’t use antibody tests to check for active coronavirus infections. Antibody tests hunt for reactions to the pathogen, not the pathogen itself—akin to surveying coffee-shop patrons for alertness and jitters, instead of just checking their drinks for caffeine. The tests won’t turn positive when the coronavirus first infiltrates the body. But they will stay positive long after it has left. For patients who have been sick for many days or even weeks, but receive only negative results on standard PCR tests, an antibody test may be a sort of last diagnostic resort. Beyond that, “I can’t think of a reason I would want to use an antibody test,

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
No it can’t. The antibodies are produced by you so will be the same.
After 2 weeks you should have antibodies, if you have none then that would suggest that the jab had not worked. Very unlikely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Experts have repeatedly debunked the idea that the tests can prove that a person is immune to the virus. But the tantalizing possibility has made that reputation stick. Months after many tests were pulled off the market for false advertising or shoddy performance, companies continued to tout them as passports that could clear people to return to work, school, or travel. Theel suspects that some individuals who are eager to know their immune status may still be serially testing themselves.
When I hear expert or scientific research in the same breath, I glaze over and try not to remember previous disasters.
Merely a view I am no expert in anything!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I spoke to a friend of mine last week about this. He has had his first jab and intends to do a fingerprick antibody test three weeks after the first one and a lab based test after he should be fully vaccinated.
I asked him what the point would be. The tests won't be 100% accurate either way. If there are no antibodies detected a third vaccination I would have thought probably wouldn't help and I don't think would be available on the NHS or privately at the moment. If there are antibodies detected you still don't know what level of immunity it provides . Looks to me like the best thing is to have both doses but still try to reduce the risk in what you do while doing the things you want to do.
I don't think there will ever be zero risk once you have been fully vaccinated and taken the measures you think are sensible it's like driving the car not risk free but not stupidly dodgy either.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks carolyn that is useful.

@TheWino I don’t do the antibody for myself - the government seem to be using it to look for prevalence amongst certain occupations. I find it interesting but it does not influence my behaviour.

I will not be typical as we are very cautious - shopping delivered, see no one outside work, disinfect shopping and post.

The way I see it is the government say teaching is no higher risk than any other occupation (interestingly, other countries have a different view) but being at work in close contact with children, parents and other teachers seems to me logically to bring higher risk than working from home so I make my own decisions in other areas of my life to offset that risk.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks carolyn that is useful.

@TheWino I don’t do the antibody for myself - the government seem to be using it to look for prevalence amongst certain occupations. I find it interesting but it does not influence my behaviour.

I will not be typical as we are very cautious - shopping delivered, see no one outside work, disinfect shopping and post.

The way I see it is the government say teaching is no higher risk than any other occupation (interestingly, other countries have a different view) but being at work in close contact with children, parents and other teachers seems to me logically to bring higher risk than working from home so I make my own decisions in other areas of my life to offset that risk.
No problem, my knowledge is basic but has increased enormously since the beginning of the Covid emergency because it’s fascinating and I have so much time. My cheeky youngest was very quick to point out that Immunology hadn’t been invented when I was at medical school!

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I had my first jab of the OAZ vaccine on the 30th Jan. I didn't see the needle go in nor feel it and I had absolutely no side effects. I would love to get an antibody test now but can't find anywhere I can get it done in this neck of the woods (Yeovil). Anyone any suggestions? (carolyn)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I had my first jab of the OAZ vaccine on the 30th Jan. I didn't see the needle go in nor feel it and I had absolutely no side effects. I would love to get an antibody test now but can't find anywhere I can get it done in this neck of the woods (Yeovil). Anyone any suggestions? (carolyn)
Afrad not. I am going to have my second jab and after 3 weeks consider myself fairly safe but I cannot imagine going back to leading a carefree life like I used to which is rather sad. Having a blood test and finding high antibody levels wouldn’t make me feel able to change my cautious behaviour too much this year. There are far too many unknowns.

I’ve just been chatting to my friend who spent 3 months in ITU with Covid, he has made a miraculous recovery, still a long way to go but at one point there was no hope. He was really nervous about having the jab as his Mum and daughter (doctor like him) felt really rough after their jabs and logically with all his antibodies circulating you’d think he’d be at increased risk. He had it on Thursday and absolutely no reaction at all, very strange.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
It's all a bit strange. I'm one of the unfortunate souls that seems to react to all sorts of things but the OAZ vaccine could have been sterile water for all the effect it had on me. It will be interesting to see what happens after the second jab as I agree that once one has antibodies some sort of reaction should happen. This next time I will be careful not to let the jabber sneak up on me. I want to see the needle go in and the plunger go down.

As for being less cautious I think life is too short, especially at my age, to worry too much.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Dorset Diver Didnt you get a stiff arm for a day or two? most of us did, even though many of us didn't even feel the needle, or the normal sting of the vaccine being pushed through the syringe, like many of the vaccinations do.

Maybe they missed your arm & squirted it behind you, did the tea break alarm sound:LOL:

It amuses me watching the different injection techniques being used by nurses on TV, some are like Dart players (Army are best) almost throwing the syringe at the arm, others squeeze the flesh either side of the target area to raise it, very strange but great that so many are getting it done.(y)
LES

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Dorset Diver Didnt you get a stiff arm for a day or two? most of us did, even though many of us didn't even feel the needle, or the normal sting of the vaccine being pushed through the syringe, like many of the vaccinations do.

Maybe they missed your arm & squirted it behind you, did the tea break alarm sound:LOL:

It amuses me watching the different injection techniques being used by nurses on TV, some are like Dart players (Army are best) almost throwing the syringe at the arm, others squeeze the flesh either side of the target area to raise it, very strange but great that so many are getting it done.(y)
LES
No reaction whatsoever, not even a stiff arm not even a mark. Maybe I moved he missed and did not admit it :unsure:. Perhaps it's all a big con :confused:.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
No reaction whatsoever, not even a stiff arm not even a mark. Maybe I moved he missed and did not admit it :unsure:. Perhaps it's all a big con :confused:.
I didn’t feel it go in but felt a bit rough for a few days. Enough to wonder if I’d caught Covid in the hall where it was administered. But I also know these things can be psychosomatic ...

Griffithii

Free Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 638EB
Exp
Two years, 5,000 miles, less than 100 nights
Antibodies suggest a level of immunity but there are also white blood cells called T cells that are another part of the immune system so an antibody test isn't really any help. Just believe in the vaccine because it works.

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Ask yourself one question.....
Did you have an antibody test after your flu jab ?
They are a money making con by disreputable con artists .

Every crisis spawns them .

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Ask yourself one question.....
Did you have an antibody test after your flu jab ?
They are a money making con by disreputable con artists .

Every crisis spawns them .
It’s a government survey and is free to participants.
I’m not sure there’s much point doing it once vaccinated, but presumably they must think it’s worthwhile.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Antibodies suggest a level of immunity but there are also white blood cells called T cells that are another part of the immune system so an antibody test isn't really any help. Just believe in the vaccine because it works.
Oh yes, I agree, I didn’t mean my post to sound as though I didn’t think the vaccine worked. I think the vaccine is wonderful and will offer a huge amount of protection. I just think after the trauma of this past year it’s unwise to assume it’s a license to go back to living like before. I will be out and about but will be cautious.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back