Another Snipe 2 question (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
MH newbie, long time camp and caravan
Does anyone else have problems with finding Astra 2 with a snipe 2 dish?

I wait for the blue GPS light to come on and then search for Astra 2 but the dish looks in completely the wrong direction and fails to locate Astra 2. The only way I seem to be able to make it work is to search for Astra 1 or Hotbird and when it has locked on I change it back to Astra 2 and more often than not it finds it and locks on.
Ultimately I can get it to work but I'm sure this can't be right.
Any advice would be very welcome.
Thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not uncommon to do what you describe when you change countries otherwise we don't have a problem. Hotbird is a lot stronger signal and position is close to Astra.
Try updating the firmware.

OP
OP
Gilbs
Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
Thanks Lenny, haven't been out of England yet (waiting for the wife to retire before that happens). Will have a look at the firmware though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

NBGB

Free Member
Jan 15, 2017
Crewe
Funster No
MH
A Class. Hymer B584. 1999
Exp
Since 1995. Caravanning 10 year before.
Hi Gilbs.
Had the same problem during our Easter outing. Not sure how we managed to receive tv for the week, but we did after a number of attempts to get a lock on Astra 2. Since arriving home in a known receiving spot I could not get a tv picture. I could lock onto Hotbird and Turksat but not Astra 2. Pleased to report the firmware update for the Snipe 2 with the type C controller has cured the problem.

Nigel & Glynis Bailey.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I put the latest firmware in our controller and then had problems finding Astra2. If I wait for the gps light to stay on then press ok, it won’t always find the satellite. If I wait about a minute after the gps light stays on, it generally finds Astra 2 straight away.
I regularly do channel searches which seems to speed up the locking on process too.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have no problems finding Astra 2 though when abroad it won’t find Astra 1 despite other vans with snipe 2 finding it, and yes we moved position and areas frequently.

As others have said , try updating your software.

OP
OP
Gilbs
Oct 13, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 (on order)
Exp
So I spoke to Avtex and they quickly told me I needed to upgrade and sent me the new software.
I have installed it today everything went according to plan but now it doesn't work at all, I get a "communication error" and I can't even raise the dish.
I have reinstalled the software and also run a direct cable to the dish to check if the cable was broken.
Spoken to Avtex again and they have asked me to send the controller back to them, I just thought I would see if anyone here has any other ideas before I pack it up and send it.
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back