Another motorhome driver trying to increase motorhome popularity (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There is one that does raise my blood a tad and that’s when the T5 style drivers take up a motorhome bay, especially when there’s the smaller bays available.

Illustrations of grandeur:)
Don't go to Bear Street car park ,Barnstaple as they specifically tell them to use the motorhome bays , all 3 of them . in a car park empty at the back.

Nonsense. They get more space because they need it.
We look after our grandchildren 3 days a week and often find we need to shop. If my grandson gets out the car then the car parked beside him is at risk. Also when we get the babies out, they have car chairs which come straight out of the back seat isofix fitting. Try doing that in a normal space without knocking the shit out of the car next to you. If you can get it out at all.
Easily done if you walk back & forwards to the shops like we all had to do. Worse thing ever when they allowed people to drive who think it is a means of getting from A to B, school drops, shopping,motorised walking ,etc.
Also you would not be in any rush , & so could park 2 fields away & avoid any damage & get some exercise.(y)

There are 2 free parent and child spaces shown in the photo. Use of either of them would have made it difficult to move the motorhome and, with the latter being parked right to the edge of the bays might have caused visibility problems for drivers using those bays.
As regards other suitable spaces, comments from people who were there indicate that there were some which were suitable for the motorhome.

the hole is getting deeper,stop digging.(y)

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
the hole is getting deeper,stop digging.(y)
I stopped over 24 hours ago.
I'm rapidly getting to the stage where I can't be arsed doing any more to promote parking facilities for motorhomes because too many people care only for themselves and have no respect for others. If that upsets some then I won't be surprised but, frankly, I'm getting beyond caring. I've better things to do with my time than e-mail local authorities multiple times.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if they had reversed in to the spot in front of them they would have fitted I would think
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
It's only a baby, why one earth did they have to park.like this it's just laziness and gives us all a bad name.
I would never park in disabled and never in parent a child.
I do park over 2 or 3 spaces but at 7.5m I sometimes need to to ensure I can get out but I do it at the bottom of car parks out of the way.
Tbh it's bad parking but seem much worse

Reactions: GJH

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's only a baby, why one earth did they have to park.like this it's just laziness and gives us all a bad name.
I would never park in disabled and never in parent a child.
I do park over 2 or 3 spaces but at 7.5m I sometimes need to to ensure I can get out but I do it at the bottom of car parks out of the way.
Tbh it's bad parking but seem much worse
Disabled spaces yep I agree

Parent and child with other parent and child spaces empty ......and instructed by the store to do so.

We are now on 4 pages of nonsense

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Disabled spaces yep I agree

Parent and child with other parent and child spaces empty ......and instructed by the store to do so.

We are now on 4 pages of nonsense
Sorry instructed or not its principal
I have kids and although teenagers when were younger we sometimes struggled to park due to drivers parking in the wrong spaces
If the van had parked across 2 normal spaces I agree it's a nonsense post but special bays are in place for a reason

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry instructed or not its principal
I have kids and although teenagers when were younger we sometimes struggled to park due to drivers parking in the wrong spaces
If the van had parked across 2 normal spaces I agree it's a nonsense post but special bays are in place for a reason
I disagree as I said earlier when my kids were young I never needed special bays.
It's just another case of bubble wrap Britain pandering to folk.
There's no reason to have parent and child bays closer to the store.

Disabled may not be able to walk far etc

What age does parent and child stop ?

Does a 45 yr man with a 16yr old son need a special bay ?

It's ridiculous

The motor home is taking up 2 parent and child bays but would need 3 normal bays

So only 2 customers vehicles affected rather than 3

Makes perfect sense to me.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
What age does parent and child stop

The motor home is taking up 2 parent and child bays but would need 3 normal bays

So only 2 customers vehicles affected rather than 3
Age limit is 12
Disagree re 3 spaces it's only a baby prob not 7.5 or 8m long when 3 are needed.

Sorry I do see your point but on this occasion I disagree with you.

I do agree parent a child do not need to be near the store they can be anywhere in the carpark
And do agree it's a wrap around and not technically needed but they are designated bays

Are you.say you are okay if a car parks in a motorhome bay? Resulting in no space for MH to park
Sorry but what's the difference it's just wrong it's the principal. It's a designated space for a designate purpose
To be honest supermarkets need to create designated MH spots this would stop all these bickering posts 3 or 4 would be plenty for majority of supermarkets and easy to convert at very little cost

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Age limit is 12
Disagree re 3 spaces it's only a baby prob not 7.5 or 8m long when 3 are needed.

Sorry I do see your point but on this occasion I disagree with you.

I do agree parent a child do not need to be near the store they can be anywhere in the carpark
And do agree it's a wrap around and not technically needed but they are designated bays

Are you.say you are okay if a car parks in a motorhome bay? Resulting in no space for MH to park
Sorry but what's the difference it's just wrong it's the principal. It's a designated space for a designate purpose
To be honest supermarkets need to create designated MH spots this would stop all these bickering posts 3 or 4 would be plenty for majority of supermarkets and easy to convert at very little cost

Cars frequently park in large bay spaces they tend to not care and I'm willing to bet it occurs probably at least 10 times more often.

In many countries , Spain, Portugal and France I've seen myself dedicated motorhome parking bays in supermarkets ...Lidl is very good at it. Often you can stay overnight.

The UK I suspect it doesn't happen because of that outdated frankly ridiculous camping and caravanning act of 1960 that our council's seem to be bound by when it suits them.

That and the fact folk get outraged at the motorhomer who couldn't find a large enough space rather than the supermarkets the council's and the beurocrisy that allows it.

If I have to park in a supermarket carpark and they haven't provided large enough bays then I'll park across however many I need to the same as I would do if I was driving a large works van , pickup truck or a car and trailer.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
if they had reversed in to the spot in front of them they would have fitted I would think
bill

True but then along come the numpties park either side & one opposite & they can't get out.

It's a designated space for a designate purpose
& that is what they were using it for parents & 3 kids & with permission, by all accounts.

If the management gave them permission, unlikely ,but you couldn't argue. In North Devon's South Molton car park they resurfaced & created a large amount of huge oversize bays as far from the town as possible for the locals with oversize vans & motorhomes.Come market day they fill up with old people in micras :(

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
when the T5 style drivers take up a motorhome bay

It's only a baby, why one earth did they have to park.like this

My sister {not the most tolerant of drivers} has a phrase for this: when people are convinced that their vehicle is huge and fat and needs a lot of space, despite this being obviously not the case -

Vanorexia

:)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My sister {not the most tolerant of drivers} has a phrase for this: when people are convinced that their vehicle is huge and fat and needs a lot of space, despite this being obviously not the case -

Vanorexia

:)
There's no mistake the van is clearly 3 car spaces width long therefore it won't fit in one space it's that simple , it's also wider so would be right on the white lines or over them.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I stopped over 24 hours ago.
I'm rapidly getting to the stage where I can't be arsed doing any more to promote parking facilities for motorhomes because too many people care only for themselves and have no respect for others. If that upsets some then I won't be surprised but, frankly, I'm getting beyond caring. I've better things to do with my time than e-mail local authorities multiple times.
Sounds like a break would do you some good Graham.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
They should think their selves lucky we are 9 meters so would need 3 bays,

Even when I use the car I park in those bays a few busy bodies have asked me to move but when I ask do you work for Tesco’s they always reply no, I then tell them to go AWAY !

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
Typical obviously he couldn't be bothered to look for the motorhomes park here sign some folk are hopeless.They are very posh in Yarm so parking like that is just not on. Bill

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
I do agree that reserved spaces should only be used by the people they are designated for and totally agree that Disabled spaces should be positioned as near to the entrance to the shop (or whatever facility the car park serves) for obvious reasons.

As the primary need for extra room for people with children is to allow easy access and exit from the vehicle for said children, so if safe walkways are provided (which is required for all car park users) I do not see why child spaces should be close to the entrance and do wonder how many people would use them if they were at the back of the carpark.

Just wondered, and FYI my youngest son is just a little older than a child (but not by much) but my eldest has 3 kids that we regularly look after so we do regularly benefit from these spaces (even though in reality even with my 2 year grandson getting him in and out of the car has never really been an issue in a standard parking space)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can't believe some of the comments about the parent & child parking spaces ... of course they need to be near the shop ... I don't have kids but totally understand how difficult it could be for someone on their own with one child having to try to get the child in/out lf the car, into the trolley, go do the shopping, return with a full trolley, have to then put the child in the car and then put the shopping away. In the ideal world the child would be well behaved and everything would go smoothly but we have all seen/heard when this doesn't happen in a store/car park and how stressful and tiring it can be for parents.

There are lot of reasons for having these parent & child spaces near store entrances however there are none that I can see for them to be elsewhere in the car park. What also hasn't been considered is that if the child is walking the longer it is doing so in a car park, where vehicles are manoeuvring in/out of spaces all the time, sometimes with limited visibility, the chances of a child being hit are increased, then there's the weather to consider, do you really want to try to do all of this and then have a long walk in the rain to/from the shop? What if there is more than one child but only one adult. As for having the spaces in the first place, being able to get the child in/out of the car without having to try to 'slither' in between theirs and another car in the overly small spaces for modern cars, without damaging the other car, and do so easily and ensure the child is safely secured in the car seat etc, is something that also makes perfect sense.

Oh, and despite what some may think, I am NOT joking.

The ONLY thing I don't agree with is when you see adults with older kids (ie teens etc) who use them for not good reason ... I've even seen it when the teen didn't even get out of the bl**dy car whilst the parents went shopping!

davebav

Free Member
Mar 25, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 620
Exp
7 yrs MH and 20 yrs tugging
I parked my Autotrail at Tesco in Bishop Stortford this week. Because of all the stupid little trees dotted throughout the car park I ended up taking 4 parking spots. It's only a 6.4 metres van. Even a largish pick up truck was taking up 2 places.I was only there 30 mins to do shopping but if the car park had been correctly marked up for customers vehicles there would not havery been a problem.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I can't believe some of the comments about the parent & child parking spaces ... of course they need to be near the shop ... I don't have kids but totally understand how difficult it could be for someone on their own with one child having to try to get the child in/out lf the car, into the trolley, go do the shopping, return with a full trolley, have to then put the child in the car and then put the shopping away. In the ideal world the child would be well behaved and everything would go smoothly but we have all seen/heard when this doesn't happen in a store/car park and how stressful and tiring it can be for parents.

There are lot of reasons for having these parent & child spaces near store entrances however there are none that I can see for them to be elsewhere in the car park. What also hasn't been considered is that if the child is walking the longer it is doing so in a car park, where vehicles are manoeuvring in/out of spaces all the time, sometimes with limited visibility, the chances of a child being hit are increased, then there's the weather to consider, do you really want to try to do all of this and then have a long walk in the rain to/from the shop? What if there is more than one child but only one adult. As for having the spaces in the first place, being able to get the child in/out of the car without having to try to 'slither' in between theirs and another car in the overly small spaces for modern cars, without damaging the other car, and do so easily and ensure the child is safely secured in the car seat etc, is something that also makes perfect sense.

Oh, and despite what some may think, I am NOT joking.

The ONLY thing I don't agree with is when you see adults with older kids (ie teens etc) who use them for not good reason ... I've even seen it when the teen didn't even get out of the bl**dy car whilst the parents went shopping!
This is one of the things my mother quite rightly laughs about , she raised 3 kids while holding down a stressful job , she also kept a house clean and tidy and did all the normal mother and wife duties.

There's days we pander to folk cause they have kids ....It's not a disability and it also is a life choice.

They should count themselves lucky they have a bloody car , my mum didn't when we were kids we walked to the supermarket and we all helped carry the shopping.

It's a piece of nonsense and all the nonsense about risk of kids getting run over etc is also nonsense.

If they kids are taught to behave and walk sensibly while holding parents hands they wouldn't be run over.

That in itself is another thing from today , kids do as they like cause parents don't train them :p

If folk can't manage kids and able to do shopping don't have kids.

Loads of folk out there who don't qualify for a disabled badge but still are in a lot of ways physically restricted ( ie my mother ) and they have to manage in normal parking spaces.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think you'll find that there weren't anything like as many cars etc on the road as there are now, people often have to go some way to get to large supermarkets and probably do larger shops than were done in the past, this was certainly the case with my Mum.

It may make your Mum laugh but I bet if she was in the situation now having kids in tow as there were bays available close to the store for her to use she'd do so ... why not make it a bit easier and safer?

As for some of what I've said being nonsense ... you haven't got kids have you? I haven't but know what its like for those that have.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think you'll find that there weren't anything like as many cars etc on the road as there are now, people often have to go some way to get to large supermarkets and probably do larger shops than were done in the past, this was certainly the case with my Mum.

It may make your Mum laugh but I bet if she was in the situation now having kids in tow as there were bays available close to the store for her to use she'd do so ... why not make it a bit easier and safer?

As for some of what I've said being nonsense ... you haven't got kids have you? I haven't but know what its like for those that have.
I've 3 kids twin girls and a son ..they are 21 and 18 now.

When my son was 8 and my daughter's 5 I was seeing a girl with a son of 5 and a daughter at 18 months , so 5 kids between us.....We were together nearly 6 years so eventually 1 at 14 , 3 at 11 and one at 7 years old.
We had a vw caravelle 7 seater and frequently took them all to asda etc aswell as many places like castles , camping etc yet managed fine without using parent and child spaces. My kids weren't allowed to open a car door themselves till my son was 13 years old so they couldn't damage other people's cars or my own.

I parked as far from the store as I could like I do now as less chance of folk parking right beside me.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Unfortunately I can only refer to my own experiences these being as a parent of 2 children (both now "mostly" fully grown though there is 16 years between them so effectively 2 lots of only child syndrome) as I worked a strange shift pattern of 2 days on 2 nights on and 4 days off together with the fact my wife worked full time I was regularly in the single parent capacity doing the shopping with my child and regularly found no child parking space (with the eldest few car parks had them anyway) and never experienced any issues having to park further away.

Nowadays I was very fortunate to recently take early retirement at the age of 53 which has put me in the fortuitous position of regularly looking after my 3 Grand Children aged 3, 5 and 7 particularly during the school holidays and as my wife still works full time am more often than not doing so on my own, I find that when I take them to the shops I simply carry the youngest, hold the hand of the middle one (she has a tendency to lose concentration) who in turn holds the hand of the eldest, on returning to the car I simply load the kids, load the shopping and dump the trolley at the nearest convenient place so as not to leave the kids alone too long. I also take them into town as they love the milk shakes at a local café and again use the same methodology.

Whilst I do see that other parents and grand parents may have wildly different experiences from me I can only (as previously said) refer to my own.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I think all UK residents doing local shopping should get their stuff delivered to home by Tesco. That will leave the whole car park available just for motorhomers :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think all UK residents doing local shopping should get their stuff delivered to home by Tesco. That will leave the whole car park available just for motorhomers :)
See you are a genius

I think you should be the one to sort out motorhome parking in the UK.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004

I don't spend enough in one go to have a delivery!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back