(Another!) Lithium question please! (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Hi again all! Just got back from a wonderful three week tour of Poland with the two kids and no beginning to make some plans for Autumn/Winter season touring. I'm aware (I think) of most of the changes I will need to make to go to Lithium. I will need to change my mains charger to a Lithium compatible one, change the settings on my solar controller to a lithium profile and in an ideal world add a smart shunt for more detailed info and a B2B to take advantage of the faster charging offered by a Lithium set-up.

So here's my question...I have been trying to read up as much as I can and read some conflicting information. It is in regards to batteries that have a built-in BMS. Some places are saying that I cannot run two of these batteries in parallel whereas other sources either contradict this or give no information at all. Could anyone steer me right here? Would be really interested in hearing Raul and Lenny HB's opinions on this as the forum SMAs!!!

Thanks as always for any help/advice and have a great weekend all!

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
We regularly install two, three and four lithium batteries

its just connecting them correctly
Are those batteries ones with built-in BMS? If so, is there anything unique or different to bear in mind to install them correctly?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I have two with bms built in. The way I connected them is via buss bar with equal cable lengths on each, and fused each battery.

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
we stock batteries with internal and external BMS’s

Simply install a decent BUS bar or binding post so no single BMS see’s a load or charge that a single battery couldn’t cope with and there is absolutely no issue

OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Ahhhhh, I see now. Obvious in hindsight!! I wonder why there is the info around saying not to do this when the solution is so simple?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back