Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
I have been following the various threads about the cost of the AHC required for our 2 dogs to enter the EU. We are hoping to travel to France and Spain in September so I thought I would enquire about the cost to provide the AHC with our Vet Beech House in Warrington part of the Willows Vet Group. £250 per dog!!! needless to say I am shopping around, I have also sent an email to the CEO of the Willow Group about their extortionate charges.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
As you may have seen I thought £192 was bad. but only 2 mile from that vet £84.

We are looking at it as a one off payment as we will get euro one once in France. Bloody rip off though 🤬

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
My dog just been for MoT today so asked about AHC. They called it export certificate and £131 inc vat

lazybumm

Free Member
Jul 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
I'm being quoted between £190-250 for my cat, who is up to date with vaccines, rabbies, chipped etc.

I don't understand how this was rejected https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/563890

The government thought it was their job to regulate estate agents charging extortionate fees but somehow vets fall outside their remit when they profiteer for literally 5-10 mins of work filling in paperwork.

Ironically my cat was in the EU between Dec 2020 and May 2021, I just wasn't smart enough to sort out an EU passport for her while there...

OP
OP
missmollie

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Since my original quote from my Vet I have contacted several others around the area and been quoted the charges below.
£90 each
£67 each
£132 each
£70 for 1 and an additional £25 for the 2nd.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I'm being quoted between £190-250 for my cat, who is up to date with vaccines, rabbies, chipped etc.

I don't understand how this was rejected https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/563890

The government thought it was their job to regulate estate agents charging extortionate fees but somehow vets fall outside their remit when they profiteer for literally 5-10 mins of work filling in paperwork.

Ironically my cat was in the EU between Dec 2020 and May 2021, I just wasn't smart enough to sort out an EU passport for her while there...
Whereabouts are you? There are a few vets we know of that have relatively reasonable prices for AHCs in this thread:

Animal Health Certificate charges - the Good Guys

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We are off in about 10 days time. Only booked today. Our vet £150, nearest vet £140, local vet I’ve been told is good £60. We’ve booked the £60. So fingers crossed. And may be a vet change to happen.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We are off in about 10 days time. Only booked today. Our vet £150, nearest vet £140, local vet I’ve been told is good £60. We’ve booked the £60. So fingers crossed. And may be a vet change to happen.
Please let us know how you get on and which vet it is.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Will do. I’ve heard good things about this vet and she is known as “old school” so no messing about. 👍🏻

Reactions: maz
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
I would also appreciate knowing where the vet is. Hertfordshire is not too far from us and our vet is quoting £150. Our vet also advised getting a "Euro Passport" when we go across the first time to retain sensible costs when travelling. When I queried why the cost was so high for a fairly quick and simple form filling exercise I was told that as all vets are private businesses they can charge what they like. i.e. What the market will stand! So rather than reduce the cost to something acceptable for all in the UK they advise obtain "Euro Passport" which means in the long term they will get jack for the service. So excellent business acumen. Why have a little income when they could have none??!!

lazybumm

Free Member
Jul 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
So I ended up biting the bullet and doing this at a Village Vet practice in London. For a grand total of £135, cost some £60 more than the next cheapest option but saved me ~3 hours in traffic + fuel, so ehhh not so bad.

From the chat I had with the vet (who also recommended that I get an EU passport at my destination if I need to do the trip more than once), I reliased that they charge a lot cause they honestly don't want this business. After getting the AHC in my hands I kind of understand why, the vet had to manually cross out any sections that don't apply on the paperwork he produced, stamp each page some 10 times or so, every time he crossed something out. And obviously also did a quick check on the kitty to make sure that he is happy to stamp and approve everything.

Let's see if we will somehow find a way post-Brexit to dig ourselves out of this mess...

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We lost our dog 18 months ago and I’ve been looking at the charities to rehome another. Impossible!
Some don’t want to know-because we live in our MH and don’t have a secure garden, others I suspect use the same criteria but just won’t admit to it!
Looking at the costs of getting a dog on holiday with us to Europe I’m not sure we can afford a dog anyway!
It‘s ridiculous looks as tho I would have to buy a puppy if I really want one and a puppy in a MH full time is not something I really want!
Wood Green is about the only charity that seem to care and that is probably because I’ve adopted from them before!

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
I'm booked in this afternoon for Lulu's AHC £131!!!!
When I asked 6 months ago he thought it would be about £60-70 same as a horse. I'll certainly try and get an eu passport in France. Still got all the rest of the hoops to jump through.

lazybumm

Free Member
Jul 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
We lost our dog 18 months ago and I’ve been looking at the charities to rehome another. Impossible!
Some don’t want to know-because we live in our MH and don’t have a secure garden, others I suspect use the same criteria but just won’t admit to it!
Looking at the costs of getting a dog on holiday with us to Europe I’m not sure we can afford a dog anyway!
It‘s ridiculous looks as tho I would have to buy a puppy if I really want one and a puppy in a MH full time is not something I really want!
Wood Green is about the only charity that seem to care and that is probably because I’ve adopted from them before!
Have you considered adopting abroad? Note that I do not encourage irresponsible ownership, but the criteria in other EU countries are a lot more lax. If you're on a long holiday you will probably have enough time to get to know dogs at a shelter, if someone's a match, get them to the vet to sort out passport etc.

Getting an EU passport practically solves all the problems and the associated costs with travelling (assuming you're only travelling across EU countries).

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
We would have had the same issue, so we adopted whilst touring in Portugal 4+ years ago, dog was 2 at the time and has always luved in our motorhome and caravan ever since (we're now back in bricks and mortar for first time since then). Plenty of dogs seeking rehoming in both Spain and Portugal, and of course they come complete with an EU passport, maybe when you are able to get away again its worth considering.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I just rang Whiteley Village Vets for a quote: £90 was the reply. "It's a one hour appt."
"And for an additional dog?" said I, mentioning that up to five animals can be included.
"We've been issuing separate certificates."... :madder:

EDIT. Our local vet - Harrier Vets- £150 +£50 per additional. Separate certs...

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Took Monty in this morning. Handed over all required paperwork and vet checked Monty over. Vet is going to complete paperwork today tonight and give us a ring when done and ready to collect.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Can I just clarify something? I’ve looked at several sites online to try to pin this down but still can’t get a definitive answer.
Can I get an EU dog passport from a vet in the UK? (would be the jab and passport)?
Do I still need an AHC if dog has EU passport, do you need AHC to get into France or to get back into UK?
All this is very confusing to a bear of little brain!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
No you can't get an EU pet passport in the UK any longer, you need to get the AHC in UK to travel, then when EU, go to a vets for the passport.
Once you have an EU passport, you will no longer require the AHC to travel.
From what I understand, the EU vet will probably need to give the rabies vaccine, but you need to be sure they give the one that gives 3 years protection, some just give 1 year.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
I thought I read on a thread recently that its no longer possible/difficult for you as a visitor to get an EU pet passport. You need an EU local address for a minimum of 3 months. The reason being 'they' didn't envisage this and aren't happy.
Sorry can't find the thread right now.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Since my original quote from my Vet I have contacted several others around the area and been quoted the charges below.
£90 each
£67 each
£132 each
£70 for 1 and an additional £25 for the 2nd.
Where were the £67 and £70 quotes, can name the vets please.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
So I take an unvaccinated dog to France with an AHC find a French Vet that will give the 3yr vaccine (I can use a friends French address) stay in France for 3 or 4 weeks maybe then return to UK and dog has its French passport?
So I don’t need a Passport to leave UK just to get back into UK?
Am I right?

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
So I take an unvaccinated dog to France with an AHC find a French Vet that will give the 3yr vaccine (I can use a friends French address) stay in France for 3 or 4 weeks maybe then return to UK and dog has its French passport?
So I don’t need a Passport to leave UK just to get back into UK?
Am I right?

As far as I am aware your dog must have had it's rabies vaccinations before it can enter the EU.

021A9A66-70E0-42DA-AC72-2761E9B36899.png

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I don't think you can take an unvaccinated dog to France, as part of the AHC I think they will need to vaccinate for rabies.
This raises the problem go how a french vet will proceed with a EU passport. Some may be willing to transfer the UK rabies vaccine data, but others may not and you probably wouldn't want to give your dog two doses in quick succession.
Nothing simple anymore.
With regards your last question, the AHC gets your dog back into UK if you don't get a EU passport, if you do get one then the passport will get you back in.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Collected my AHC yesterday. Wow what a process. Everybody hates them. But at least only £60.

You will need a rabies vaccine to get a AHC so can’t go to France without a rabies jab, and if you do get a rabies jab, then go to France I personally wouldn’t want the vet to give a rabies booster until after a good period, at least a year, preferably 2, as it’s not good for the dog. We are desperate to get a EU passport this trip as the French are standing to clamp down on passport issuing and Monty is 2.5 years into his rabies booster, so it needs doing now anyway.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
What vet
Collected my AHC yesterday. Wow what a process. Everybody hates them. But at least only £60.

You will need a rabies vaccine to get a AHC so can’t go to France without a rabies jab, and if you do get a rabies jab, then go to France I personally wouldn’t want the vet to give a rabies booster until after a good period, at least a year, preferably 2, as it’s not good for the dog. We are desperate to get a EU passport this trip as the French are standing to clamp down on passport issuing and Monty is 2.5 years into his rabies booster, so it needs doing now anyway.
What vet did you use please?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back