Ancheer electric ebike (2 Viewers)

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Hi Steve here following a recent post their was a photo of a ancheer ebike with dog cart.
I have viewed their website and it is a twist grip electric which can be dismantled in the UK and connected in Europe.
Is this correct or have I misinterpreted the facts bearing in mind it's Saturday night and I am on theakstons old peculier

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
Hi Steve, I connected up the twist grip but it's true that you don't have to, the bike comes part assembled and the twist grip is not connected.

If you are worried about legalities, the problem is that the motor is 500 watt and (I think) the UK limit is 250 watts. Some people apparently don't let that stop them as they travel at sensible speeds which do not attract attention or cause any kind of danger to anyone or anything...so I'm told. I use it for towing the dog trailer so I reckon I need the extra power. I'm not at all sure that 250 watts would get us all up the steeper hills.

The bike is cheap and that is reflected in build and component quality, I don't expect it to last forever but it suits my needs. It's better than I feared it would be when I ordered it. So far, the battery hasn't let me down and seems to have a decent range. Hope that helps. I envy you your Theakstons while I'm making do with Super Bock!

Tim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
the problem is that the motor is 500 watt and (I think) the UK limit is 250 watts.

yes, legal limit in the UK is 250watt.. but I can't find an Ancheer with 500 watt motor .... do you have a link or name of supplier ?

@steve and gina I had a look at the spec, it's a basically cheap mountain bike with a rear hub drive.. if you are serious about getting an e-bike , I would advise to look at quality makes with a mid drive motor .. preferably a Bosch ..

on the plus side.. yes it's cheap and if you don't use it not a big loss and you could punt it on ebay

we bought two Kalkhoff bikes from 50s cycles, and I towed a dog trailer with two small dogs, .. easy as pie.. but the cycling experience left me cold.. it was like being on a moped.. and they were heavy to lift into the garage.. never tried on a rack as it would take two strong people to lift that height, plus they would overload a normal Fiamma rack.. Also having to charge most days was a pain, so we sold them and bought two quality road bikes instead.. never looked back.. we now enjoy cycling and are getting fitter and leaner.... and the dog trailer ? I pull behind a mountain bike .. fine on the flat or slight inclines, but it can be hard work up hills..

so be it push bike or e-bike you really do get what you pay for.. before buying any, I suggest you try a few out to get an idea what is on offer and how they perform, consider how you will transport them and where you will charge ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

1881TB

Free Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche, 2013
Exp
Spent a few weeks touring Australia and New Zealand about 10 years ago...
26" Folding Mountain EBike Aluminum Electric Bicycle Cycling 500W Li-ion Battery

I wanted a Kalkhoff bike but they were just too expensive. Same goes for all the mid hub models. I looked at building my own but wouldn't have saved much money compared to this. There are plenty of 1000 and 2000 watt bikes still on ebay so I don't think it's a problem to sell these things. Scotjimland's spot on with his advice but I'm happy with my purchase. Some of the best places are up very long steep hills!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
26" Folding Mountain EBike Aluminum Electric Bicycle Cycling 500W Li-ion Battery

I wanted a Kalkhoff bike but they were just too expensive. Same goes for all the mid hub models. I looked at building my own but wouldn't have saved much money compared to this. There are plenty of 1000 and 2000 watt bikes still on ebay so I don't think it's a problem to sell these things. Scotjimland's spot on with his advice but I'm happy with my purchase. Some of the best places are up very long steep hills!

this is the link , but out of stock at present https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26-Foldi...cle-Cycling-500W-Li-ion-Battery-/332199336425

I have no idea how they can make them at this price.. that money would hardly buy a new battery for a Kalkhoff

as you say, buying a hub kit and converting your own bike wouldn't be much saving

the 500watt refers to the battery capacity and not the motor power.. which isn't given on that bike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back