An update on travel rules from the Caravan and Motorhome Club (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
New rules will apply for travel to Europe from January 2021 and you may need to take extra steps when travelling to a European destination.

• Different passport validity rules will apply to UK Nationals visiting Europe from January 2021. You must check your passport validity online as you may need to renew it earlier than planned. This does not apply to Ireland. Visit gov.uk/checkpassport
  • European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) may not be valid from January 2021. Make sure you get travel insurance that covers your needs, particularly if you have a pre-existing medical condition. Visit GOV.UK to check what your travel insurance should cover.
  • You may require extra documents to drive in Europe from January 2021
  • Tourists will not need a visa for short trips to the EU of up to 90 days in any 180 day period. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer and we recommend checking GOV.UK for more information on how to get a visa or permit.
  • From January 2021 you will not be able to use your existing pet passport to enter the EU and Pet travel requirements will change
  • You should follow the UK Government travel advice before you travel abroad, including latest developments and advice on foreign travel during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sign up for alerts at GOV.UK
  • Mobile phones: From 1 January 2021 surcharge free roaming will no longer be guaranteed when travelling in the EU although the big network providers have said that they have no plans to change their charging structure at the moment. Also, whilst there is a UK government regulation which protects against 'unexpected charges' by setting a limit of £45, above which the phone company needs the customer agreement, we recommend that you check with your network provider before travelling.
  • Visit gov.uk/transition for the most up to date information

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i read that in their magazine, its not completely accurate and there are a lot of maybe's. guess they needed to print something

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Apart from pets, which we havnt got, don't think we shall see a lot of difference.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
As usual too much 'may' and the gov site is no better. Still nobody seems to know whether or how we will be listed for pet travel. I know its only a minority interest but pretty important to us.

as far as I can see the current pet passport is only invalid IF! your dog has not already had a Rabbies Jab and trite test signed and recorded in the passport.

but most of it is speculation and as i have said above a desire to "APPEAR"! as if they are upto date on things.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
New rules will apply for travel to Europe from January 2021 and you may need to take extra steps when travelling to a European destination.

• Different passport validity rules will apply to UK Nationals visiting Europe from January 2021. You must check your passport validity online as you may need to renew it earlier than planned. This does not apply to Ireland. Visit gov.uk/checkpassport
  • European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) may not be valid from January 2021. Make sure you get travel insurance that covers your needs, particularly if you have a pre-existing medical condition. Visit GOV.UK to check what your travel insurance should cover.
  • You may require extra documents to drive in Europe from January 2021
  • Tourists will not need a visa for short trips to the EU of up to 90 days in any 180 day period. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer and we recommend checking GOV.UK for more information on how to get a visa or permit.
  • From January 2021 you will not be able to use your existing pet passport to enter the EU and Pet travel requirements will change
  • You should follow the UK Government travel advice before you travel abroad, including latest developments and advice on foreign travel during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sign up for alerts at GOV.UK
  • Mobile phones: From 1 January 2021 surcharge free roaming will no longer be guaranteed when travelling in the EU although the big network providers have said that they have no plans to change their charging structure at the moment. Also, whilst there is a UK government regulation which protects against 'unexpected charges' by setting a limit of £45, above which the phone company needs the customer agreement, we recommend that you check with your network provider before travelling.
  • Visit gov.uk/transition for the most up to date information
Think they need to get their research source improved, Jack at Dog and Duck who has never been camping and never been out of the UK could be a bit more accurate......Visa to extend the 90/180 days, where they got that one from...

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
"You may require extra documents to drive in Europe from January 2021"

There again you may not, Mr Macron he say no need for at least "douze mois de plus"

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Be fair they've only had four years to work out the finer details, apart from that its oven ready and world class.
More like 15 years since people must have had enough information to be convinced by an argument that leaving the EU would be for the best.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Will you need a covid test prior to leaving uk as you do when flying my daughter is flying from spain on xmas eve and flying back on 27th she has to have a fit to fly test prior to returning to spain £250 ,

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes the wording of the C&MC text could be interpreted in various ways but what's driving that? Could it be that no one knows for sure (guaranteed) what will be happening?
Better to let members know and where to check to get the official guidance \ information than let them turn up at the exit terminal unawares.

Apr 29, 2019
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper, Corilliam
Exp
since 2002
As usual too much 'may' and the gov site is no better. Still nobody seems to know whether or how we will be listed for pet travel. I know its only a minority interest but pretty important to us.
We are the same as you, Still limited info ,I did find a no to ring 03702411710 which is the gov pet info, Pet travel@apho.gov.uk worth a try, Good luck

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
We are the same as you, Still limited info ,I did find a no to ring 03702411710 which is the gov pet info, Pet travel@apho.gov.uk worth a try, Good luck
Me too, dog is due rabies booster in January, not had a blood test yet. I also thought the pet passport was for re-entry into UK, I have only ever had to produce it when returning.
Really should be sorted by now because nothing physical has changed only beaurocrasy.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I really don’t get the pet passport issue....the Rabies risk on the 31st Dec is exactly the same as on the 1st Jan?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I really don’t get the pet passport issue....the Rabies risk on the 31st Dec is exactly the same as on the 1st Jan?

As we will be outside the EU the rules will be for any other non-EU country that borders the EU, such as Morocco, Turkey or Albania.

One of the big points of the Brexit vote was to stop freedom of movement. (Of dogs and their humans)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000

As we will be outside the EU the rules will be for any other non-EU country that borders the EU, such as Morocco, Turkey or Albania.

One of the big points of the Brexit vote was to stop freedom of movement. (Of dogs and their humans)
To get the most up to date info, use this site

At the moment nobody knows which rules will apply. Hopefully this will be made clear in the next few days. For anyone who wants to goto Europe next year, it would seem sensible to make sure your pet‘s rabies vaccination is up to date and that it has had the blood test.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My dogs have Spanish passports and on the advice of the vet will be keeping them

They have more rights in Europe than i will have .....and most of you too 😁
You may have to get them UK passports, otherwise they could be deported if they overstay their 90 days in 180 day limit!

Also do they have the right to work in the UK as Guide dogs, sheeps dogs or guard dogs ?
The new points based entry system will mean that unless they have a required skill such as bomb or drug detection they may be refused entry :LOL:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You may have to get them UK passports, otherwise they could be deported if they overstay their 90 days in 180 day limit!

Also do they have the right to work in the UK as Guide dogs, sheeps dogs or guard dogs ?
The new points based entry system will mean that unless they have a required skill such as bomb or drug detection they may be refused entry :LOL:
I did enquire before setting off on this trip if british passport would be better abd vet said Nooooooo
No one knows what the plan is yet for pets... hopefully its made clear quickly as i will only be back in the uk for 5 or 6 months before escaping again

Apr 29, 2019
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper, Corilliam
Exp
since 2002
We were told by our vets in Dover to get a blood test this month for the dog which will cost about £150,

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
I've heard that you can just carry on as before as if nothing has happened. All you need to do is have your rig converted to run on unicorn poo and you will be welcomed across Europe as though you belong.

Another solution I’ve heard is that you can simply stick your fingers in your ears and drive through any passport / border check whilst singing “Rule Britannia”.

Apparently that overrides any laws / regulations that Jonny Foreigner may have. Result!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back