LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Managed to get my B license years ago, spent time on 2m, but hsve been off the air for a long long time.

I have yaesu FT 2303, FT 101 ZD and a FT707, my dad managed to give away the power supply fir the FT707, looking on line they are an arm and a leg.

As I have been quiet for a long time, am I right in thinking tge rules hsve changed and the old B licence is now a full licence.

Right just ordered a g5rv, yes I know, but I don't have any ham stuff not even a spare pl259,

Steep learning curve ahead.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Shifts, welcome back. Yes, it is a massive learning curve. I was also B category going back to 1988, found out I got re classified to A because of the old RAE exam. I even ordered the 3 books, foundation, intermediate and full, as i felt a bit of a fraud after so many years. I was just shocked by the new modes of operation. I upgraded my stuff about 3 years ago, hoping to use it when i was motorhoming,i have a pvc, so metal roof. In my case i got all the gear, but no idea. I'm g1udr, but a good resource is Gozo mike, can't remember his callsign. I should have arranged my setup about 10 years ago, had a 250 foot long garden then, with rear neighbour 300 ft, garden still imagine that long wire being set up. I run a small portable which gozo mike set up for me, so listen in to the isle of wight net Have a local club about 3 mile from me, keep threatening to join, and maybe I will just bite the bullet soon. Any good luck, 73s.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Hi shiftzz g5 rv is a cheap simple and effective antenna go for full size Iff you have room. Yes you do now have a full licence, hf bands are quite active but vhf and uhf are not as a lot of repeaters have gone. I go on air quite often from home and occasionally from van using a telescopic mast on bike rack. An atu will be needed to use all hf bands you should be able to buy a good second hand one off e bay. Iff your transmitter hasn’t been used for a long time use receiver only for a while then gradually increase output power otherwise you will destroy the capacitor s.
Good luck G4TJB

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks all

Just got my old kit out, my had it stored, and guess what, he has sold bits..

The FT707 power supply, a direct replacement is an arm and a leg and he has managed tolose a power cable for the FT101, I was always under the impression is was a main TX.

My intention is to listen for some time, very rusty...

G1CIV

Any ideas about a power cable for the 101?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
Managed to get my B license years ago, spent time on 2m, but hsve been off the air for a long long time.

I have yaesu FT 2303, FT 101 ZD and a FT707, my dad managed to give away the power supply fir the FT707, looking on line they are an arm and a leg.

As I have been quiet for a long time, am I right in thinking tge rules hsve changed and the old B licence is now a full licence.

Right just ordered a g5rv, yes I know, but I don't have any ham stuff not even a spare pl259,

Steep learning curve ahead.
The FT101ZD brings back memories. I had the Sommerkamp branded version together with the ATU, and power supply mic. etc. I had to give up many years ago after moving house and sold everything. Most of my time was spent on 80 metres with the occasional trip on 20metres when propagation was good. All done on a G5RV.
My old callsign was G4WPK.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
For the plug try yaesu UK in Winchester their service engineer is very helpful and may have a plug or can source one for you.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I keep meaning to get my license back, but never got round to it. I got my license in the mid 80's, then my entire family ended up getting there's. With 5 of us being hams, we had one hell of a radio shack. 2 rooms in the house pretty much swamped with gear.

G1 WMI

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Many thanks for mail.

I am afraid the power plugs for the FT-101zd are long discontinued and all remaining stocks exhausted.
They do appear on a well known auction site fairly regularly and with a quick search there are currently a couple in Italy that could be bought.

Many thanks again,

Kind Regards,
Adie

Standard Horizon/Yaesu

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
MFJ make a range of ATUs that are reasonable priced and work well. Alternatively make one but it may be difficult to get the air spaced capacitors, these used to be very cheap at radio rallies. An option with power plug maybe to change the fittings.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Me too. I had a good few years mobile on 2M repeaters on my commute. We were a happy group of 5 - 7 like-minded people who just enjoyed chatting. Once that ended when I moved on I lost interest. I thought recently I'd give it another go & bought a decent dual band mobile & similar hand-held. Then found I'm still not that interested and there's no one on the local repeaters anyway.

Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
I never went on 2metres.
After passing my C&G, I decided to spend time and effort on learning morse code and tramped up to Cullercoats near Whitley Bay and took the test. I dont know why the guy passed me as I made several mistakes. Anyway he did.
I had already bought a FT227ZD so there was no spare cash for 2 metres. So it was straight on to HF. After doing what most new operators do, ie trying to dx as far as possible, I settled down and probably spent more time on 80 metres as anywhere.
Then came kids, house moves and less and less time for radio. So I sold up.
Thought a few times about getting back into it, but to date have done nothing about it.
G4WPK

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
40m band active all day mainly between 7.100 and 7.200 and a bit of activity at the cw end.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks all

Just got my old kit out, my had it stored, and guess what, he has sold bits..

The FT707 power supply, a direct replacement is an arm and a leg and he has managed tolose a power cable for the FT101, I was always under the impression is was a main TX.

My intention is to listen for some time, very rusty...

G1CIV

Any ideas about a power cable for the 101?
Dave, I have an Daiwa 30 amp PSU up for sale at the moment.. It is in tops condition and fully tested ( and about half the price the greedy buggers want !
Also got a big atu ( proper large caps and a big roller coaster ) .. I built it 40 years ago for the contest group so know it will tune up pretty much anything and takes a 1000 watts through it without flash over !
If interested, drop me a PM

fd8b2669-aabe-4f68-ad8f-a5051f974016-jpeg.550341

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
I got my Class A licence in the 60s when at school (G3WHO)

I got very active with RTTY and AMTOR and wrote a successful AMTOR implementation for The BBC micro in the 80s

Lost interest when it all got too easy when packet and internet came along

I took all my old kit to a rally a few years ago and was amazed ]how much cash it raised

Fun while it lasted

Peter

Sep 26, 2022
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I got my Class A licence in the 60s when at school (G3WHO)

I got very active with RTTY and AMTOR and wrote a successful AMTOR implementation for The BBC micro in the 80s

Lost interest when it all got too easy when packet and internet came along

I took all my old kit to a rally a few years ago and was amazed ]how much cash it raised

Fun while it lasted

Peter

Hi Peter,

Not sure if you are still around these here parts...

I have just purchased a BBC B and since I have some RTTY gear from back in the day (actually bought for my C64 - I didn't have a Beeb the first time round), and was looking for options to hook up the gear to the Beeb; your callsign pops up against searches for BBC RTTY software/firmware so I wondered whether you still have any docs about how to interface kit to the Beeb so it will work with your app?

All the best

Nigel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back