LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have a HP home server with Microsoft home server software, no longer supported.

I would like to use the server again, possibly using Amahi Home Server or similar, but my knowledge of Linux is very limited.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way of installing it or would I require the skills of Gromett .

Suggestions

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Never heard of it. I tend to use individual packages rather than all in one. This is more complicated to set up but gives best in breed for each component.

If you decide to do it and have problems, you could always pop up to Jim's and I can look at it for you. Give me some notice so I can organise work if necessary.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Cheers, it's basically just a package sitting on Linux. From memory it's 4Tb, just use it for backup, storage of photos and some cloud stuff.

IIf you think there is a better solution, so be it. We hope to get to Jim's with Robert Clarke etc, but as always we never know the situation with parents.

IIt would be good to use the small server for something.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Cheers, it's basically just a package sitting on Linux. From memory it's 4Tb, just use it for backup, storage of photos and some cloud stuff.

IIf you think there is a better solution, so be it. We hope to get to Jim's with Robert Clarke etc, but as always we never know the situation with parents.

IIt would be good to use the small server for something.

sorry missed your response. Added a watch to this thread.

Its a fully integrated package. I cannot offer you a better solution as it is not an area I have needed myself.
I have a bunch of hard drives which I use in a dock for my videos. I then copy what I want to watch to my system and just use VNC. Not elegant, but secure and little risk of losing everything this way.

So no, I can't recommend a better solution for your particular requirements sorry.

If you have nothing to lose on that small server, give it a go. If you hit difficulties that you can't figure out, I can have a look next time you are up here.

I have never come across a linux problem I can't solve in the last 20+ years of using it. However, I do not touch JAVA stuff, so if it runs on Java I am out :p

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Cheers Grom, the issue is installing it, it looks very complex,

ok. Bring the server and the iso for the install on a USB stick and I will sort it for you ;)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Quick question? what are you going to use it for exactly? What list of features do you want?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Quick question? what are you going to use it for exactly? What list of features do you want?
I was kinda thinking the same question but......... (glad you asked!):whistle:
If it's just going to be a central repository for data back-up, storage, etc could it be set up as a NAS running bare bones Linux distro?
Probably being daft but .........!:rolleyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was kinda thinking the same question but......... (glad you asked!):whistle:
If it's just going to be a central repository for data back-up, storage, etc could it be set up as a NAS running bare bones Linux distro?
Probably being daft but .........!:rolleyes:
If it is just a NAS then I would install FreeNAS. It is based on BSD and uses ZFS file system.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi.

Im hoping to use it to backup documents, pics, video, music etc. Plus laptops backup
Also if possible a personal cloud, mail server (well beyond me)

I was hoping to use it to store backups of the CCTV when installed, so if they knick the CCTV recorder, I would be able to use this, so it would need to be networked.

As long as the system is simple, then I'll be fine..
TIA

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi.

Im hoping to use it to backup documents, pics, video, music etc. Plus laptops backup
Also if possible a personal cloud, mail server (well beyond me)

I was hoping to use it to store backups of the CCTV when installed, so if they knick the CCTV recorder, I would be able to use this, so it would need to be networked.

As long as the system is simple, then I'll be fine..
TIA
So just a file server then with remote access. No media server or other fancy stuff?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back