Am I tight or not? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Just finished our shake down cruise with our new van along the south coast,. With lots of nice places to stop and some nice wild camping sites.
When we were near Beaulieu we saw a sign stating “pop up camp site” ,thinking it was a local farmers field, BUT we were wrong it was a site run by the MCCC, which I thought was a members club not a commercial set up. The price they quoted was £34.50 Per night and of course we could not stay as we not members which we could have joined at £54
Not for us at that price we stayed at a local pub had a nice meal and had change out of £25.

Colyboy

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Not even close.
This year we spent 39 night's out all over the country. We have paid £8 for one might in Newquay in Wale's and it was crap.
Tonight we are by the sea in North Berwick over looking Craigleich island -- have a guess how much?
Now that's tight
or as I prefer to call it ---- thrifty.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Just finished our shake down cruise with our new van along the south coast,. With lots of nice places to stop and some nice wild camping sites.
When we were near Beaulieu we saw a sign stating “pop up camp site” ,thinking it was a local farmers field, BUT we were wrong it was a site run by the MCCC, which I thought was a members club not a commercial set up. The price they quoted was £34.50 Per night and of course we could not stay as we not members which we could have joined at £54
Not for us at that price we stayed at a local pub had a nice meal and had change out of £25.

Colyboy
Nice area, can I ask which pub did you stay at?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977

Colyboy
i wish me and the wife could go out for a meal and a couple of drinks for £25 what did you have a bag of crisps each. :LOL:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I wouldn't have paid that either but we are rarely on sites anyway. Like you we prefer do to pub stopovers and have a dinner and a drink to show for our money, plus it supports the local pub. Win win for us though I must admit its sometimes nice to be able to be parked on some piece of grass in the sunny weather where you can get chairs out.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Like some others we truly miss our extended tours in Europe but find that Pub stopovers in the UK provide an economical alternative, without the risk of expensive testing.
Whenever there is an element of confusion, someone will find someway of cashing in on it as they are doing with Covid testing for those travelling overseas. Although we carry NHS Testing kits, we would still have to pay as they only allow use of their expensive NHS Testing kits, as I understand it.
£35 a night to park on 7 square metres of grass, robbery! Expensive grass just to put a chair on but I know what you mean irnbru.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Not even close.
This year we spent 39 night's out all over the country. We have paid £8 for one might in Newquay in Wale's and it was crap.
Tonight we are by the sea in North Berwick over looking Craigleich island -- have a guess how much?
Now that's tight
or as I prefer to call it ---- thrifty.
And very popular with the locals in N Berwick .... not

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I can't understand why they should be unhappy about half dozen vans parked up a a spare piece of land half a mile away from any houses and overlooking the sea. Maybe they should pop along and tell me why they are so unhappy about it.

Feb 3, 2020
hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hit the road in 2014
used to be a member however after being in a year I soon decided to opt out. the sites were nice and clean but the prices were silly and in some cases ran like prison camps as you where told how they wanted you to park. To regimented for me.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We are members of the C&MHC. Tonight we are on Archie’s Field CL, in Norfolk for £8 per night.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
For me it's not being tight.

I look at some of the prices on here and I just wouldn't want to pay them.

I live my life on a careful but not strict budget, I do this because I find it easy to spend money even money I haven't got, only one for emergency use Credit Card and no bank overdraft.

So when I go on a trip I leave with a budget for the trip, that is for everything except fuel which I try to limit to one refuel per trip and beer money which is bought and stored in the van before departure.

Food wise, I can frugally live on £5 a day, so to make an easy example I'll start with a trip budget of £200! For ten days £50 is gone on food leaving £150. If I find pitches at £15 that gives me 10 nights, matches food supplies well.

If the pitches are £25, that gives me only six nights and a food surplus.

If I'm Freedom Camping, I've only food expenses to use the £150 on, save that I will burn more fuel if I have to drive around to top up the battery charge, I don't have Solar.

Hopefully you can understand that I'm not tight, just want to spend my pounds to suit me.

The less I spend, the longer I can stay away, or more trips I can have.

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It all depends on budget.
I am surprised that any site fee is of significance to those with an expensive van.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I am surprised that any site fee is of significance to those with an expensive van.
Then you are very lucky. Most of us have worked many hours and saved and saved to pay for our van and we have small pensions to enable us to enjoy them.

Sorry, but your way of thinking makes out that only the rich should be allowed the pleasure of a motorhome.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The rich don't mess with motorhomes. They use hotels.
My way of thinking is to live within your means. If you over-stretch on something, you may not be able to keep up the pace.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It depends on if you are asset rich and cash poor though doesn't it ...... and we don't all have expensive vans.

It did amuse me that someone Martin was talking to at Lochore Meadows was parked on the car park rather than in the motorhome area so he could save the small fee. He did have a very expensive van and appeared to think that because he had spent so much money on the van he should be allowed to park anywhere he fancied for free and with all facilities provided. His EHU was disconnected from the EHU point and pushed back through the hedge between car park and site once it was discovered. Lochore are now asking for money up front which I think is a good thing (several sites we have stayed on have done this and issued a ticket for display so you can prove you have paid). Lochore does have an issue with the elsan point blocking (either due to poor installation or misuse or both) so might be one of the places where the cassette cleaning machines would be of use - and also help with people who park on the car park, use the facilities and don't pay.

We are members of CCC and CMC mostly because of the CS / CL network which we use extensively. With club sites you do know what you are getting and how high the standards are but you also have to be aware of the rules and regulations. I am happy to abide by them and if touring like to have a night or two of club site "luxury" now and again so laundry can be done. However the prices have gone up and up - even the CS / CL sites are charging a lot more and are very busy.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
The rich don't mess with motorhomes. They use hotels.
My way of thinking is to live within your means. If you over-stretch on something, you may not be able to keep up the pace.
Ian Beale or whatever his name is, probably hits the rich bracket . Uses a burstner instead of hotels on a tour.
I'm with movan on this one, a motorhome is a capital expenditure that can be achieved in a number of ways including finance or a one off payment like mine i dont need to think I've spent too much (if i had a morrello that may be). Daily running costs is a different ball game or budget. People have the right to spend their hard earned budject whichever way they deem fit: food costs aldi/ eat out :fuel stay put / tour location: site /flt . but to reduce choice for those on a frugal budget by being robdogs which cant be offset by offering more than is needed/ wanted is not on in my opinion.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
We are members of the C&MHC. Tonight we are on Archie’s Field CL, in Norfolk for £8 per night.
That’s more like it, at £34.50 they are really taking the pee.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back