Am I a bad person to even think this.... (1 Viewer)

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Let me start off by saying that I don't do this. I just ask the question. Maybe I am missing something in my youth (ha!) and inexperience.

I am talking about dumping grey waste. Not toilet waste obviously but rather the tank with shower and washing up water etc.

We don't have a great deal of grey water as there are only two of us but when I get home I dump it on our gravel parking area with no smells or ill effects.

As far as I can see the worst that it can be is a little toothpaste and soap along with washing up water. Is that really any worse than washing the car etc?

I would not dump it anywhere else although we used proper waste sites when we refilled at the same time with fresh water but would it really matter?

I stand to be educated.

I do try to be good!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just one dump periodically no problem but if everyone did the same then eventually it would be smelly and not acceptable .

Reactions: GJH

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
A grey waste thread - You should get a good response to this question.

For me I put it in the Black cassette and dispose of it properly. Others might not see it that way :D:D:D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think on balance that you are a bad person(y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Paul and Val
I was going to make flippant remark in view of the number of previous threads on this subject, but.......

I agree with you! Up to a point.

We always try to drain our grey waste in the “appropriate “ place on a site, before leaving. However, on the odd occasion when we have not been able to do so I have drained it onto out brick paviour driveway.

On the first occasion I was expecting to have to hose the drive down to wash away food debris etc. but no. The water drained between the bricks leaving no trace, no debris, no oily deposits or anything.

However, we do flush our grey tank regularly. Also we never drive with the tap open, spreading waste across the road surface.

If you choose to drain onto your own driveway, where it soaks away, I can see little problem but my view will not be universally endorsed.

One thing puzzles me!

You say “I don’t do this” then go on to describe how you drain your grey waste onto your drive, so what exactly don’t you do?

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
A grey waste thread - You should get a good response to this question.

For me I put it in the Black cassette and dispose of it properly. Others might not see it that way :D:D:D:D
Site owners who have a septic tank will not thank you for mixing your grey waste in with your black. It could have all sorts of nasty chemical in it!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Site owners who have a septic tank will not thank you for mixing your grey waste in with your black. It could have all sorts of nasty chemical in it!
What do you put down your sink?

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Yes definitely a bad person
Grey water should always be emptied on car parks or roundabouts
When will people learn ?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Can someone please explain to me what grey waste is?

Is it anything to do with what dribbles out of my van whenever I drive off?? :)

OP
OP
Paul and Val
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
@Paul and Val

One thing puzzles me!

You say “I don’t do this” then go on to describe how you drain your grey waste onto your drive, so what exactly don’t you do?

What I meant was that I have not had to drain the tank anywhere else than proper sites or on my drive.

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Is that all the replies so far - very disappointed.

I have a manhole next to my drive in to my sewer so easy peasy

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Well I’m sure @Mr Chrysalis will enlighten you later
I was referring to washing up liquid, shampoos, conditioners, cleaning fluids etc which septic tanks may not like. Also the cost of having a septic tank increasing with higher volumes, so again adding grey to the black is not good. I think rinsing black tanks with grey waste is ok when the black waste point is not a septic tank of course. Many site owners prefer you to put grey waste into a hedgerow

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
Can’t see a problem with it going into a septic tank. All our wast water goes into ours and we have not had any problems in 35 years. Just keep popping a dead rabbit in now and again and the septic tank will work fine.(y)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I was referring to washing up liquid, shampoos, conditioners, cleaning fluids etc which septic tanks may not like. Also the cost of having a septic tank increasing with higher volumes, so again adding grey to the black is not good. I think rinsing black tanks with grey waste is ok when the black waste point is not a septic tank of course. Many site owners prefer you to put grey waste into a hedgerow

This I agree with you Fosse Septique are strange things at times but anything not natural upsets them and anything tagged BIOLOGICAL if positively deadly to them - - - on most Foreign sites we have been on without individual pitch drains many owners like you to water the hedges as it saves them having to water them which of course costs money

We have a dedicated soakaway on our drive where I FLUSH our grey water tank out but if I need to empty I use my extension hoses and drain off into the drain system

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Can’t see a problem with it going into a septic tank. All our wast water goes into ours and we have not had any problems in 35 years. Just keep popping a dead rabbit in now and again and the septic tank will work fine.(y)
You do know that dead rabbits can be rejuvenated with a new battery, don’t you? They will fit them for you at Anne Summers. :eek:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
...if I need to empty I use my extension hoses and drain off into the drain system
At this point, these threads generally go off in a tangent about different types of drain (rainwater, sewer etc) complete with regional variations. Those of you with popcorn may need to send out for extra supplies...:D

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In our last home of 35 years all black and grey from the house entered our double chamber septic tank, never a problem, bacterial breakdown worked fine with clear water output.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
What’s grey waste..? Water goes down my plug holes never to be seen again, just like at home....

Am I missing something....(n)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In our last home of 35 years all black and grey from the house entered our double chamber septic tank, never a problem, bacterial breakdown worked fine with clear water output.
As does ours.
Last emptied in error 15 years ago before we realised what kind of tank it was.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back