Alternative tyres (1 Viewer)

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Hi there, I've got to replace my tyres ref. a previous post I did about how quickly I've gone through my current set driving around Scandinavia and was wondering has any fellow funster gone for any tyres other the the 2 normal ones (Vanco/Agilis) looking on the black circles site you can buy loads of different makes for under £100 all with the same speed/load rating 116R some even 121R.
Any advice welcomed

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've gone for Davanti DX 440

The Davanti DX440 is a commercial van tyre with the strength and durability to endure heavy loads in all conditions. Versatile and designed to perform on both normal road terrains and in demanding site conditions, the high wearing DX440 endures heavy loads without compromising handling or comfort.

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just put 4 Kumho 857 121R 10PLY 225/75 R16C 121/120R on the back of our Arto 74 Tag. Had 10 year old Michelin which were very hard only change because of age and lack of traction.
Put about 600 miles on the Kumho I have raised the pressure from 60 psi to 70 psi as the ride was a little soft.
£86 on Tyre Leader

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Frazzle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2017
maidstone kent
Funster No
MH
09 AutoSleeper Berkshire
Exp
im a newbie
I went to my garage i use for repairs asked him about tyres he told me go on line Black tyre site i could name who i wanted fitting so picked my usual garage they say they can't match them he also said we earn more going through the black tyres site than selling direct.

OP
OP
Poutie57
Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for you replying, up in Scandinavia they seem to put all different ones on but in the main it's a brand called nokain tyres and I was thinking if it's good enough for these conditions it should be ok for southern Europe

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We had Vanco Campers on our Autosleeper, after 25k, the fronts were getting close to the limit. I didn't think they were wearing very well so now buy tyres with the correct load rating and largely ignore the make.
I don't need super duper tyres, we bimble along slowly, don't take corners at speed and don't brake or accelerate sharply.
The only stipulations I had when I bought our latest set was that they exceeded the load rating of the van and were marked M+S. I also carry snow chains in the winter

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Nokian Tyres are very well regarded, particularly if you want winter tyres. I would have bought them last time but could not find the necessary size at any stockists in the UK. In the end I stayed loyal to Continental (Vanco Winter 2). It is perfectly OK to run winter tyres all year on a motorhome as the annual mileage is normally quite low and few of us try to test the speed limits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokian_Tyres

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Mine have avons av9 (now av11) on fitted by camperuk seem omay to me. Got some good reviews

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
What brand

Honestly don't know....used the same tyre firm for 30 years, they run their own big vans, I take their advice and just trust them..........

In there the other day when I heard them advise a taxi driver (regular customer) against budgets just because of the mileage he does, 1500 a week, - they said it would be cheaper in the long run to fit better tyres .... horses for courses:)

My mileage - less than 5000 a year, never cruise at high speed for any distance, mostly no more than 2-4 hours driving at a time.........

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
I use black circles as well but buy commercial van tyres. I also try to buy tyres with a kerbing band on the outside sidewall. It's an extra layer of rubber to stop delivery drivers damaging the side walls.
I find the extra layer of rubber helps stop sidewall cracks appearing.
Shame blackcircle don't do tesco points any more

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Just put 4 Kumho 857 121R 10PLY 225/75 R16C 121/120R on the back of our Arto 74 Tag. Had 10 year old Michelin which were very hard only change because of age and lack of traction.
Put about 600 miles on the Kumho I have raised the pressure from 60 psi to 70 psi as the ride was a little soft.
£86 on Tyre Leader
You were lucky to find Kumho in that size ,they have been in short supply now for about 3 months.Were the date stamps on the tyres current? Kumho are a tyre that are very well suited to Motorhome use.

Brian & Jo

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You were lucky to find Kumho in that size ,they have been in short supply now for about 3 months.Were the date stamps on the tyres current? Kumho are a tyre that are very well suited to Motorhome use.

Brian & Jo
Must be a new batch 0617 or forward dated but the Chinese would not do that would they. :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
So providing there is no obvious sign of damage, no cracking of side wall or in between the tread and obviously still plenty of tread left.
At what age does everyone suggest to change their tyres?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
So providing there is no obvious sign of damage, no cracking of side wall or in between the tread and obviously still plenty of tread left.
At what age does everyone suggest to change their tyres?
i run mine till they are running out of tread. .yes regular checking etc .
100 yrs would be nice . ha ha .

i have some unused tyres here i bought 24 yrs ago. sold the vehicle they were for but should i build another one i will use them.

OP
OP
Poutie57
Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Judging from the amount of classic cars and commercial vehicles around if everything is ok no cracks etc. When the tread is down to the 2mm minimum

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Judging from the amount of classic cars and commercial vehicles around if everything is ok no cracks etc. When the tread is down to the 2mm minimum
vehicles over 3.5 ton only need 1mm

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
It's all very well saying to run tyres until the tread is minimal if the side walls are checked thoroughly, which includes the inside walls. Unfortunately most of us are not that diligent so best to stick to the five year replacement, especially if your inclined to hurry down the motorway at 70+

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Absolutely by law but will the van corner or stop as well as say 3mm?
well lets be fair you wouldnt start your winter european ,moroccan trip with just a bit more than 1mm of tread but you can nurse them back or just run local.
mind many want to drive at the speed limit all the time. they need more grip. i like driving my truck at 40mph just like the old rules ,hardly use m,ways etc just use nice country lanes and enjoy the journey.
but i did have 6 new tyres fitted only yesterday. two of the old ones are 4-5mm of tread so will make emergency spares if required.
i do carry two spares on wheels for the truck and two spares for my trailer.
tyres are more expensive in europe and africa than in uk. so best not buy new ones there.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Our annual mileage is no more than 8000 kms thus our tyres will be replaced for old age reasons rather than worn out.

In St Cere there is a dealer selling second hand tyres so he will be my first call when the day arrives. Bought a pair for our Honda last year, not sure that they had ever touched a road surface. Cannot remember % saving but remember being pleased at the price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back