Gill and steve

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer 676 starline
Exp
New this year 2020
We are hoping to travel through France into Germany to do the Aplenstrasse, in August our plan was to start from the Eastern end of the road and drive back towards France before heading back up home. We have two months so no rush. I just wondered if anyone has done the Alpenstrasse this way and if here are any pros or cons. Also how busy is it likely to be in August we won’t bother with campsites mainly using stellplatz. I realise this year is unlikely to be a normal travelling year but any advice welcome. Any must sees ?
thanks

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Hi. We did the Alpenstrasse the opposite was in August 2019. First thing is it is absolutely beautiful. On one stretch we seemed to be driving towards the alps - they’d be behind you though. Hard to know if the route works as well backwards. It was the only time in Germany we found it harder to find a Stellplatz. On one site we were charged €30 (more than a pitch) to park outside the gates …
The Stellplatz at Bad Tolz is great right on the river.
97E87E5A-DAF2-4B3C-B51E-7A8E00943296.jpeg
06E53772-847D-4336-93E2-D346659AED32.jpeg
937305F0-F824-45AE-88B8-B6640A87F748.jpeg
68E8BEFF-E378-4728-A4DF-9E462E8C22B0.jpeg

Attachments

• A4B61616-AF8C-4994-8BC2-2612B3CCA6CD.jpeg
    A4B61616-AF8C-4994-8BC2-2612B3CCA6CD.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We are hoping to travel through France into Germany to do the Aplenstrasse, in August our plan was to start from the Eastern end of the road and drive back towards France before heading back up home. We have two months so no rush. I just wondered if anyone has done the Alpenstrasse this way and if here are any pros or cons. Also how busy is it likely to be in August we won’t bother with campsites mainly using stellplatz. I realise this year is unlikely to be a normal travelling year but any advice welcome. Any must sees ?
thanks
We did it from Chiemsee to Fussen and it is truly a wonderful drive.
A deviation to the Glossglockner and allowing a day needs serious consideration.
Aires/Stellplatzes were very easy and I think we did it in June. Didnt bother with campsites
It is possible to buy a ticket for all 3 of King Ludwigs castles, You would need to find the price out, I m thinking £70 but its guesswork. One on Chiemsee with a mini Versailles hall of mirrors, Neuschwanstein and another one which was pretty good.
Neuschwanstein is not worth paying to go into in my view, do the tour free of charge outside, once you have seen one inside the tour is fairly similar so if only choosing one I would plump for Chiemsee, understanding that we are all different !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gill and steve

Gill and steve

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer 676 starline
Exp
New this year 2020
A deviation to the Glossglockner and allowing a day needs serious consideration.
Aires/Stellplatzes were very easy and I think we did it in June. Didnt bother with campsites
It is possible to buy a ticket for all 3 of King Ludwigs castles, You would need to find the price out, I m thinking £70 but its guesswork. One on Chiemsee with a mini Versailles hall of mirrors, Neuschwanstein and another one which was pretty good.
Neuschwanstein is not worth paying to go into in my view, do the tour free of charge outside, once you have seen one inside the tour is fairly similar so if only choosing one I would plump for Chiemsee, understanding that we are all different !
Thanks that’s helpful,

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Hi. We did the Alpenstrasse the opposite was in August 2019. First thing is it is absolutely beautiful. On one stretch we seemed to be driving towards the alps - they’d be behind you though. Hard to know if the route works as well backwards. It was the only time in Germany we found it harder to find a Stellplatz. On one site we were charged €30 (more than a pitch) to park outside the gates …
The Stellplatz at Bad Tolz is great right on the river.View attachment 515832View attachment 515833View attachment 515834View attachment 515835
Gill and steve The first picture by Grianan is the castle I couldnt remember. Fairly certain you could stay overnight there

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
thanks
I have put some photos and stellplatz references in a PDF which you can download here, not all AlpenStrasse as we did a circular trip in Germany.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We went to the top of Zugspitze (Germany's highest mountain) by train from Garmisch-Partenkirchen (approx £50 per head).
Actually, we drove up to Eibsee, which has a station and is also the terminus for the gondolas.
Worth the cost IMO, but the altitude can play havoc with your breathing if you have asthma.

Konigsee is also worth a stop, although a bit touristy.

Gordon

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We couldn't get parked anywhere near Eagle's Nest: 2miles of 1in4 hills and hairpin bends for nothing! :devil:
(2pm Sunday afternoon: check out the buses!)

Gordon

OP
OP
Gill and steve

Gill and steve

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer 676 starline
Exp
New this year 2020
The Stellplatz at Bad Tolz is great right on the river.View attachment 515832View attachment 515833View attachment 515834View attachment 515835
Thank you that looks amazing we did Moselle and Romantic road last year amd really loved Germany x

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We found all those places quite touristy but the great thing about MH is that we either stayed nearby then took first boat out (Konigsee and Chiemsee and Garmish-Partenkarten gorge walk) or arrived late in day just before closing and then found somewhere nearby (Neuschwanstein and Eagles Nest, Rhein Falls)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Plus one , Neuschwanstein is better viewed from the outside.

OP
OP
Gill and steve

Gill and steve

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer 676 starline
Exp
New this year 2020
I have put some photos and stellplatz references in a PDF which you can download here, not all AlpenStrasse as we did a circular trip in Germany.
Thank you this is really helpful I have made lots of notes to help my research/planning 👍

OP
OP
Gill and steve

Gill and steve

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer 676 starline
Exp
New this year 2020
Great thank you beautiful photos x

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I made up an interactive map last year which i gave access to about 40 funsters last year.

I made a mistake of allowing everyone to be able to adjust it and someone somewhere has deleted nearly everything. It is a google map so if anyone knows how to find an earlier copy I can let people have "view facility on it"

This might be half interesting for you

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Riverbankannie-thanks for posting the details of your trip to Germany. We‘re possibly having our first trip there after many promises to visit a number of friends we’ve made over the years. Maybe September this year after a short spell in France.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Riverbankannie-thanks for posting the details of your trip to Germany. We‘re possibly having our first trip there after many promises to visit a number of friends we’ve made over the years. Maybe September this year after a short spell in France.
There is another one in resources of our trip around Northern Germany if you are going that way, starting point the same from Trier, but this one along Mosel and then circling east and north.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I made up an interactive map last year which i gave access to about 40 funsters last year.

I made a mistake of allowing everyone to be able to adjust it and someone somewhere has deleted nearly everything. It is a google map so if anyone knows how to find an earlier copy I can let people have "view facility on it"

Thats a shame. I thought that I could access it from the my maps section on google maps but I cannot find it now. - I hope I didn’t delete it, I don’t think it was me!

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
There is another one in resources of our trip around Northern Germany if you are going that way, starting point the same from Trier, but this one along Mosel and then circling east and north.
What really interesting, informative and at times amusing narrative to your blogs. Enjoyed both of them very much and thanks again for posting them. If you have others, feel free to post those as well! 🙂👍
p.s. love the photographs too.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

I have found your Germany maps, both the first one and the later one. I was signed into google using different email address.
Now …. How do I get them back to you ?

Edit: so I came out of google maps and then went back in . The first time I pulled the Germany info sharing map up it had all the pins, but when I went back in a second time most had gone. However the original one “experimenting with stuff” still has all the pins .

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I have found your Germany maps, both the first one and the later one. I was signed into google using different email address.
Now …. How do I get them back to you ?

Edit: so I came out of google maps and then went back in . The first time I pulled the Germany info sharing map up it had all the pins, but when I went back in a second time most had gone. However the original one “experimenting with stuff” still has all the pins .
I haven't got a Scooby but I think you can copy the map which would at least save it

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I haven't got a Scooby but I think you can copy the map which would at least save it
I couldn’t copy the map and it soon changed on my screen to a newer version as the page auto updated. Looking at the properties in google drive it is just a link to the map you own and there is nothing to save.
Have sent a PM but not sure much help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back