Apr 15, 2020
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
5 years and still learning
Good morning everyone.
I have a 2005 Swift Sundance on a Fiat Ducato JDT XLWB.I fitted new alloys 18 months ago and all seemed well,until now.
Took it for service/mot and was told the wheel nuts are the wrong type and will eventually sheer off.I have tried ringing Swift and Fiat UK for a wheel nut size,but no help there.
Any of you good people out there had a similar problem,and how did you sort it?
Many thanks
littlechancer

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Good morning everyone.
I have a 2005 Swift Sundance on a Fiat Ducato JDT XLWB.I fitted new alloys 18 months ago and all seemed well,until now.
Took it for service/mot and was told the wheel nuts are the wrong type and will eventually sheer off.I have tried ringing Swift and Fiat UK for a wheel nut size,but no help there.
Any of you good people out there had a similar problem,and how did you sort it?
Many thanks
littlechancer

The wheel nuts/bolts will need to suit the wheels and vehicle. The vehicle decides on the thread and whether it is nuts or bolts. The wheels determine the seating arrangements and length. It may alse be affected by having dual rear wheel. They're probably M16x1.5 bolts. However, I'm guessing the mechanic was suggesting either that they weren't long enough for the alloys, or that the seat was wrong (i.e. conical instead of radius or flat etc).

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
BTW, whether nuts or bolts, they're pretty cheap to replace. Take the opportunity to get some locking ones (i.e. McGard SU/SL), too, which will be easy by the time you know the required length/seat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it's a Fiat the bolt size and shoulder angle are the same for both Alloy & Steel wheels. The only difference is the ones for Alloy's are 2mm longer. The only problem it can cause is if you fit a steel wheel with alloy bolts on some models (I think it's 16" wheels on the light chassis) they can foul in the rear hubs).
As for them sheering I think that is BS.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If it's a Fiat the bolt size and shoulder angle are the same for both Alloy & Steel wheels. The only difference is the ones for Alloy's are 2mm longer. The only problem it can cause is if you fit a steel wheel with alloy bolts on some models (I think it's 16" wheels on the light chassis) they can foul in the rear hubs).
As for them sheering I think that is BS.

I'm guessing that is true for the Fiat OEM wheels. With aftermarket wheels your mileage may (or might not) vary. I agree that 2mm difference is unlikely to be very significant, but is probably still worth sorting out, given how cheap bolts are.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back