All new VW California launch (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
New VW California hitting the showrooms in June, anyone tempted by it's excellence.? You will have to wait until 2025 for the all electric variants but hybrids will be available straight away.
The vw Buzz will also be available in California form.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Nope... sorry. not for me.... IMO, apart from the iconic VW Campers IE around and just after the splitty screen era, modern VW's are over priced, and, as far as camper vans go there is many many better and more fit for purpose vans to actually live in... not just sleep in overnight..
My mate just spent upwards of £70000 for a California, and it does not even have a loo..
A heck of a lot to pay for a "VEEDUB" badge..
Sorry not a fan...

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
IMG_8873.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Oh I just read somewhere that for the first time ever the new California is not based on the new transporter made by Ford , maybe it’s based on a Fiat lol 😎😇😆

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Nope... sorry. not for me.... IMO, apart from the iconic VW Campers IE around and just after the splitty screen era, modern VW's are over priced, and, as far as camper vans go there is many many better and more fit for purpose vans to actually live in... not just sleep in overnight..
My mate just spent upwards of £70000 for a California, and it does not even have a loo..
A heck of a lot to pay for a "VEEDUB" badge..
Sorry not a fan...
You have to have it to love it poppy. Had a few over the years after driving large gin palace's while the kids were growing up. Unlike gin palace we tend to use our campers on a daily bases without
boundaries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
You have to have it to love it poppy. Had a few over the years after driving large gin palace's while the kids were growing up. Unlike gin palace we tend to use our campers on a daily bases without
boundaries.
Yep you either love em or hate em..
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them I just don't see the point in them..
To me they are just a glorified "day van"..
However each to their own...

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yep you either love em or hate em..
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them I just don't see the point in them..
To me they are just a glorified "day van"..
However each to their own...
I agree but day vans are very popular, people use them as everyday vehicles plus you can go away in the summer season, no good for winter or cold weather.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
boundaries.
Not sure what size you mean by 'gin palace' but I find we can use our 7.5m on a daily basis - mostly off grid parking ups, occasional campsites, parking in towns and villages etc etc. . If not near enough to where we want to be we get the bikes out. California size is roughing it a bit much for me 😀

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Not sure what size you mean by 'gin palace' but I find we can use our 7.5m on a daily basis - mostly off grid parking ups, occasional campsites, parking in towns and villages etc etc. . If not near enough to where we want to be we get the bikes out. California size is roughing it a bit much for me 😀
Ditto, 7.9m of fun and yet to find anywhere I cant get to

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The ID.California due to be launched in 2025 will be significantly smaller than the T7 so I doubt it can be used except as a (very expensive) micro camper.

One strictly for VW battery enthusiasts. Quite petite ones at that.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
The new California is on the VW T7 multivan, basically a people carrier, and not the future Ford built Transporter.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
My brother has a Transporter. I had a 5.4m Ducato. Pretty much the same footprint. I had a proper kitchen, a bathroom, a fixed bed and I could stand up. He could fit under 2.1m height barriers and had the 'dub badge.

Conversions based on the T5, T6 and next T7 will struggle to limbo under a 2m height barrier. Squeaky bum moment!

I also agree about the footprint versus the 5.4m Ducato (that I now have). Unlike my previous SWB T4 California, the SWB later T5s and T6s overhang a standard 4.8m long parking bay.

I was never a 'Dub scene enthusiast. My Cali was simply the best in its class at the time when I wanted an elevating roof camper. It was only available in LHD. New T4 Westfalia Californias had never been officially imported to the UK. I had to buy a used one and import it myself from Germany. Even so it was significantly cheaper at German prices than a corresponding AS Trooper or similar Bilbo RHD T4 conversion, all based on the T4 Kombi van, not the more luxurious Caravelle base vehicle that had a much nicer cab. Neither of them could be found in the UK used market with both 2.5 tdi and autobox (only the older 2.4 non-turbo and its unreliable autobox), and cab aircon was also very rare in the UK. I wanted a fully-loaded luxurious and comfortable campervan. One that could be used daily even for business e.g. long trips to company HQ meetings. 40 mpg was the average so that helped make it feasible.

With 20:20 hindsight I should have bought a used LWB T4 Westfalia Exclusive high top that had a toilet compartment. Never mind.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries