alko chassis (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I`m struggling to find any info on the Twin Axle Alko Chassis, in particular the torsion bar Axles, greasing and maintenance.
Does anyone know of where I can find this information.
Cheers.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i have been told to grease them once a year with wheels hanging.
at service last year the garage say they used a full grease cartridge on them.
but i suppose the once a year thing depends on the milage you are doing.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
The advice in John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" is that Al-Ko axles should be lubricated every 20,000km (12,500 miles) and the grease should be a product like Shell Retinax LX.

The procedure advised is:

1: Jack up vehicle and provide support so that the wheels are clear of the ground.

2. Identify the grease points on the outer ends of the axle tube on either the forward-facing side or the underside. They lie just inside the main longitudinal chassis members.

3. Pump in grease using a pressure gun - about six pumps, noting that there is no likelihood of overfilling (a hand gun is not adequate).

I've heard that, on some motorhomes, it has been literally impossible to access the grease points on Al-Ko axles due to the positioning of water tanks and the like. It's also (apparently) not uncommon for Al-Ko axle lubrication to be overlooked when motorhomes go in for service as garage mechanics may not know about such things and (being chassis-related) it won't form part of a habitation service schedule.

So, if your motorhome has an Al-Ko chassis, it would be wise for you make sure the axle (or axles) are lubricated at the recommended interval. Failure to keep the axle properly lubricated will eventually result in wear/seizure and, as standard repair procedure involves complete axle replacement, this will be horribly costly to put right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back