Air Con for AT Delaware HB Advice (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Hi folks, looking for some advice on what to fit to my van, and where I can get it done whilst on the road.

Stupidly we hung off getting air con fitted before we left UK last week, and ended up with nothing.

We’re in the Black Forest at the mo and suffered with heat all across France, looks like it’ll be similar down through Spain. So looking to find a dealer in France or Spain (Portugal possible too) to fit a roof mounted unit. So a few questions for the gurus on the forum if I may?

My van is 8m, but being a high bed at least 60% of the back end bedroom is bed and storage space. Probably has the internal qubic space of a 6 or 7m van. I can close off the bedroom too, and I am hoping I can just cool each end of the van individually as we need it, living during the day and bedroom at night.

1. What size air con unit should I be looking at?

2. I have Alde wet radiator heating in the van. What would be the best type of aircon unit to work with it (is it necessary). Truma / Dometic?

3. Which model should I be looking at and will it be a straight swap for the fan light unit currently (standard fit) in the roof?

4. Any advice on a supplier / fitter somewhere on the route below:

Friedburg, Carcassonne, Irun, Portugal though I’d be happy to detour anywhere (that is safe) in northern Spain to get something fitted?

Your feedback (yes we are idiots for not fixing it before it became a problem) would be appreciated.

Cheers
IanRJ

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'd have to be really desperate to have it done in a foreign country, what about warranty? We're in Benidorm, it's 32°c and quite bearable with fans, pool and me pump spray 😍 💧

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
we replaced the centre omnivent with a domectic Freshlight unit. our friends with the same van fitted a truma unit in the same place, it has made the centre of the motorhome very dark as they have lost the centre hexi

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I'd have to be really desperate to have it done in a foreign country, what about warranty? We're in Benidorm, it's 32°c and quite bearable with fans, pool and me pump spray 😍 💧
Thanks for that.

A. I’m desperate 😂
B. I think any of the manufacturers will support warranty work in the circumstance?.?
C. I spend 50% (covid excepted) in Spain or on route there and back so could likely get back to the fitter twice a year at least!

I do know fitters in Malaga have a reasonable reputation, but it will be 25 days before I get there.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
we replaced the centre omnivent with a domectic Freshlight unit. our friends with the same van fitted a truma unit in the same place, it has made the centre of the motorhome very dark as they have lost the centre hexi
Does the fresh light have a window in it?

What is the power of the fresh light ?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Look for an air con with variable speed compressor. Known in the trade as 'inverter system' (nothing to do with 12v/230v inverters)
The inverter systems start slowly with no current inrush at start up, and they purr away quietly when running. They do do them... I'll have a search...

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
👍

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Does the fresh light have a window in it? Yes

What is the power of the fresh light ? google is your friend

1597230045682.png

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Remember that you'll need a good electrical hookup to work any hab aircon worth having - and trying to run one off an inverter is to all intents and purposes simply not viable without lots of other requirements.

Check out the specs on the various websites to see what is going to work for you. The point about making it darker in the van is important if you fit it in the centre. The good news is, however, that they are a self-contained unit only requiring a 240v supply and a 400mm square "hole", a standard size for a roof vent. But they are quite heavy so watch your payload too. Any good caravan technician should have no problem fitting one.

Personally I'm just about to remove our Dometic B2200 unit as it's hardly ever been used, and replace it with a Maxxair Maxfan which, apart from being very light, has a reversible fan, a clear (well, smoked) panel to let in more light, and runs off 12v, the main reason as we hardly ever use hookups.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have 2 Freshlights as said Google for detail. They have the added advantage of fresh air powered venting without AC. The the glass light does not open and it creates a borrowed light experience so no where near as affected by direct sunlight. Try and take a picture this afternoon when I go down to the hutch.

Attachments

• installation_manual_Freshlight.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 13
  • operating_manual_Freshlight.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Remember that you'll need a good electrical hookup to work any hab aircon worth having - and trying to run one off an inverter is to all intents and purposes simply not viable without lots of other requirements.

Check out the specs on the various websites to see what is going to work for you. The point about making it darker in the van is important if you fit it in the centre. The good news is, however, that they are a self-contained unit only requiring a 240v supply and a 400mm square "hole", a standard size for a roof vent. But they are quite heavy so watch your payload too. Any good caravan technician should have no problem fitting one.

Personally I'm just about to remove our Dometic B2200 unit as it's hardly ever been used, and replace it with a Maxxair Maxfan which, apart from being very light, has a reversible fan, a clear (well, smoked) panel to let in more light, and runs off 12v, the main reason as we hardly ever use hookups.
the Truma Aventa roof mounted aircon units run on less than 6 amps so most European sites are ok

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
he is a snapshot of ours taken from below... you can see the amount of light that comes in. also very useful slider to enable direction of air flow
View attachment 415080
Nice one. That looks like it blows to the front and the side, is that the case? I'm hoping to get something to target the living space day time and the bedroom at night. I think most of the (now rooflight types) have vents front and back?

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I have 2 Freshlights as said Google for detail. They have the added advantage of fresh air powered venting without AC. The the glass light does not open and it creates a borrowed light experience so no where near as affected by direct sunlight. Try and take a picture this afternoon when I go down to the hutch.
Brill thanks.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp

Yes I understand the electrical requirements pretty well thanks. Definitely want something I can run on small supply sites.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
👍

Hummm. I'll take a look at that one too. Thanks.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Nice one. That looks like it blows to the front and the side, is that the case? I'm hoping to get something to target the living space day time and the bedroom at night. I think most of the (now rooflight types) have vents front and back?
Hi, yes the slider allows you to direct airflow forward, backward or both.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If I need to wait that long I'll check them out thanks.
Make sure you book in withem early as they get ver very busy and you may have to wait a few weeks to get a slot.👍😊

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Hummm. I'll take a look at that one too. Thanks.
I fit building AC systems and non inverter stuff these days is well obsolete. Noisy, starts with a bump and less efficient. Rather than stopping and starting the inverter compressor slows down and speeds up. Inverter systems in buildings started appearing in the mid 90's.

Seriously I wouldn't touch anything fixed speed 👎

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I fit building AC systems and non inverter stuff these days is well obsolete. Noisy, starts with a bump and less efficient. Rather than stopping and starting the inverter compressor slows down and speeds up. Inverter systems in buildings started appearing in the mid 90's.

Seriously I wouldn't touch anything fixed speed 👎
I’ve had inverter AC in my house in Spain since 2003, but seems van inverters are pricy in comparison, and heavy on the power from what I have seen. But I’ll definitely review them . Thanks.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Make sure you book in withem early as they get ver very busy and you may have to wait a few weeks to get a slot.👍😊
Thanks Alan, but I hope to find a dealer before I get there so booking weeks in advance won’t be an option. At worst I’ll book in Malaga when I get to my base, but hopefully find something in the Carcassonne area or northern Spain.

Temps have cooled in Black Forest, but likely zooming up again in France and Spain.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I’ve had inverter AC in my house in Spain since 2003, but seems van inverters are pricy in comparison, and heavy on the power from what I have seen. But I’ll definitely review them . Thanks.

If it uses more power it's perhaps too big for your application. They generally use less power than a comparable fixed speed system, and no surge at start up.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Currently in France, temp up to 41c at times most days around 38 c. Burstner Iexo A class 7.5 mtr have a Freshjet 2200. Will run from a 6 amp hook up without tripping supply. Had it fitted in the bedroom skylight for the following reasons. Quite noisy in operation, our van has small roof lights as it is, front one obscured by drop down bed and loss of centre one will reduce the already poor amount of overhead light source, find that having the bedroom cooled down better for sleeping. With the air flow directed forwards lounge is kept at a pleasant temp bedroom is cooled, noise is lower very pleased as this was a no cost option with the new van. On return to the UK having two 170 watt panels two 100 amp Lithium batteries and a inverter charger so will be able to run when no hook up available. Whilst not as long as when on hook up, if lots of sun = heat air con needed, lots of sun = more charge from Solar.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Please be aware the fresh light involves cutting the roof as it is a bigger unit inside where all other models just fit into the skylight size have a chat with no cutting involved

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Please be aware the fresh light involves cutting the roof as it is a bigger unit inside where all other models just fit into the skylight size have a chat with no cutting involved
You are correct in the size being larger than the Freshjet but it depends on the skylight, they are not all the same size. A valid observation but the Freshlight performs a specific function of bringing light as well as cooling and if you want both cutting a larger hole is neither here or there, especially when you bring the electrics into play which either option will need and present a more complex issue.

Reactions: TCG
Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You are correct in the size being larger than the Freshjet but it depends on the skylight, they are not all the same size. A valid observation but the Freshlight performs a specific function of bringing light as well as cooling and if you want both cutting a larger hole is neither here or there, especially when you bring the electrics into play which either option will need and present a more complex issue.
I was just worried about their warranty if you came to the roof it’s going to be void

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back