Advice wanted for Holland trip (1 Viewer)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
My wife has a Dutch aunt by marriage and we intend to visit her family in Holland next Spring. We live in Leicester and so the best ferry crossing for us is from Hull to Rotterdam. I have two questions to put to any of you with relevant experience. The first is, would you recommend any other crossings such as, for example, sailing to Zeebrugge? We will be taking our little dog with us and so feedback on dog facilities, such as availability of kennels or dog-friendly cabins, would be appreciated. The second is, can you recommend any interesting places to stop en-route? We will be travelling to Groningen, which is in the far north-west of Holland. Out holiday will only be about 9 or 10 days, so we won't have time for long detours, especially bearing in mind that we will want to spend two or three days in Groningen with the family.

Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
I use Harwich, Hook of Holland about 3 or 4 times a year, Hull is nearer to me but a lot more expensive, the staff at Stena are great, very friendly and helpful.
The food on board is not, so take your own.
I think they have kennels, but I`ve actually seen dogs in the accommodation area on the day crossing, but check with Stena first.

I`m a club member with Stena, works for me, always keep an eye out for offers, Just got 30% off the Holyhead Dublin route, and I know around august time they do a 50% off Harwich route, last December we crossed for £165 inc cabins return for a 7.5m MH.

Take a trip to Amsterdam, we`ve stopped here twice, stopped 2 nights in June cost us 44euro, 5 minute walk to the free ferry taxi to Amsterdam central, wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Love the Hull crossings, but haven't used them since we had Lola, in fairness we have been told the kennels have been improved, but they looked awful 8 years ago and they don't have dog friendly cabins, also no access for any reason to car deck once sailing

Plus as suggested above, make sure you are sat down when you get the price (y) that said we will still go back to that route anything to avoid the south east bit of our country, too busy / aggressive for us, spoils the holiday as soon as we get back o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I use Harwich, Hook of Holland about 3 or 4 times a year, Hull is nearer to me but a lot more expensive, the staff at Stena are great, very friendly and helpful.
The food on board is not, so take your own.
I think they have kennels, but I`ve actually seen dogs in the accommodation area on the day crossing, but check with Stena first.

I`m a club member with Stena, works for me, always keep an eye out for offers, Just got 30% off the Holyhead Dublin route, and I know around august time they do a 50% off Harwich route, last December we crossed for £165 inc cabins return for a 7.5m MH.

Take a trip to Amsterdam, we`ve stopped here twice, stopped 2 nights in June cost us 44euro, 5 minute walk to the free ferry taxi to Amsterdam central, wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
Don't know enough about Holland to comment apart from seconding Amsterdam city camp, well secure and free ferry right to the station(y):)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We like Camping Zeeburg in Amsterdam. Lovely campsite with all services and close to the tram stop.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
First stop would be delft hout for a day or two
Then head up to groningen there's a nice site about 10 miles from groningen in a town called zuidlaren called camping de timp
We have Dutch family who live in zuidlaren
We always do the harwich to hook

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry forgot to add
On the return section I'd go camping de warnsboorn near arnhem then back to delft as the hook is only 20 mins drive from delft

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don't forget to visit Kuekenhof gardens they are wonderful we visited this year around April 25th
image.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back