LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Special Delivery with Post Office is full proof and timed.

Where as Registered or recorded is not full proof..

Yes always use special delivery, a friend used to work for the Royal Mail and said recorded isn't worth a t*ss.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
my wife has spoken to the citizens advice.

Some years ago I went to CAB about redundancy, they incorrectly diced me, infant they didn't have a clue to be fair.
Go to a solicitor, sometimes the first visit/half an hour can be free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Checking the mot history this van has constantly failed each year because the engine is not running correctly. Certainly it is not pristine and as a category d write is way overpriced. A category d write off is sufficiently damaged to be uneconomic to repair. So it would not likely just be a faulty way as suggested. A misaligned headlight suggests collision damage that is improperly repaired
As this was bought from a motortrader you have extra legal protection.

OP
OP
D

Dolph

Free Member
Jul 1, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Vw trooper
Exp
Thebig1
Thanks for that. Unfortunately they continue to be unreasonable but I am reassured by some of the comments. Once bitten...
This was supposed to be exciting not incredibly stressful. I'm hoping some other users have had dealings with this company, although I hope not like ours

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Caveat emptor (buyer beware) is sometimes forgotten in the heat and or excitement of things.

Even when dealing with traders due diligence needs to be followed.
I know not a lot of help to you now, hope you get sorted ok.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Once you are sorted you could see if Marquis Motorhomes have anything. They will bring the MH to your nearest dealer ( wherever it is in the UK) for £250 which is refundable if the van is unsuitable, or deducted from the price if you buy. We have found them to be very fair in their dealing with us. I really hope you are able to put this all behind you and be able to enjoy a bit of fun time together in a Motorhome that works.

OP
OP
D

Dolph

Free Member
Jul 1, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Vw trooper
Exp
Cat53
Thank you very much

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry, to hear this and best wishes with the result.

What a crook he is, I do hope he gets what he deserves, robbing bleeder.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
IMG_0788.PNG
See previous mots

Broken Link Removed

Ever watched call the sheriffs
If all else fails worth a try

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So, so sorry to read this thread. What should be an exciting time for you has been totally spoilt. I do hope you can get it sorted successfully.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Hi so sorry for you and your wife .hopefully it will soon be sorted out and you can move on.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
If you have household insurance, have a wee read through that to see if your covered for legal assistance. Its very surprising how much your covered for.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If you have household insurance, have a wee read through that to see if your covered for legal assistance. Its very surprising how much your covered for.
Excellent point. Might even have been an option on your motorhome insurance or breakdown cover?

OP
OP
D

Dolph

Free Member
Jul 1, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Vw trooper
Exp
Hi
Just checked the house insurance. Not covered unfortunately

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hi
Just checked the house insurance. Not covered unfortunately
It will cost £455 to take he to the small claims court, your case is bullet proof so represent yourself and make a claim for costs. it will be hiss loss. once you have your court judgement it's costs £60 to transfer up the order to high court, then pass to the sheriffs. the company has it's assets advertised online so will be a very simple recovery job for the agents

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'd be a little more cautious than BMM suggests. You were informed it was a Category D. I'd still hope you have a claim but I'd take advice first from somebody who's seen the van.

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I'd be a little more cautious that BMM suggests. You were informed it was a Category D. I'd still hope you have a claim but I'd take advice first from somebody who's seen the van.
He bought the vehicle from a trader over the phone therefore he has a 14 day cooling off period, as long as he sends the letter to the registered office of the dealer stating that he wishes to return the vehicle within that period it's a very simple case.

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
He bought the vehicle from a trader over the phone therefore he has a 14 day cooling off period, as long as he sends the letter to the registered office of the dealer stating that he wishes to return the vehicle within that period it's a very simple case.
Yes of course, I'd sort of lost track of that with thinking about all the problems. Thanks for the reminder!

OP
OP
D

Dolph

Free Member
Jul 1, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Vw trooper
Exp
Thanks BMM .... letter will be posted out am tomorrow, special delivery

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Yes of course, I'd sort of lost track of that with thinking about all the problems. Thanks for the reminder!
I think he is doing the same thing! he need's to forget about the vehicle not being up to the standard he expected is this is irrelevant. unless he formally notifies them of his wish to return the vehicle in the next 7 days he will be stuck with it. unlike with new vehicle sales they will not be able to make a counter claim for the depletion in value due to the vehicles age. (I spent most of my working life investigating financial fraud for motor finance companies)

OP
OP
D

Dolph

Free Member
Jul 1, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Vw trooper
Exp
Thanks BMM. There's so much conflicting advice on the web you feel dizzy after a while. We have formally notified them via email but it will be posted also thanks to your advice

OP
OP
D

Dolph

Free Member
Jul 1, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Vw trooper
Exp
Just found on a legal advice site that, quote
"A cooling off period means that you have 7 working days to cancel your contract for the second hand car for any reason. This time limit begins from when you were given written notification about your right to cancel. Unless and until you are given the written information after purchasing a second hand car you are not bound by any contract"

As we have yet to receive any paperwork can't see as we have entered into a contract

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I presume you have paid for the vehicle-if that is the case the dealer has the upper hand for the interim,I'm afraid. You need to contact your own solicitor or start a small claims procedure .

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
The point is you bought the vehicle over the phone and completed the deal at home therefore you have 14 days

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back