Advice re-fixing awning after attempted theft. (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Someone decided to try and remove the Fiamma awning a few weeks back whilst we were travelling through Spain not sure when or where as I only noticed when winding it out.

The front bracket damage is more cosmetic but the back one is really not supported at the bottom as the bodywork has a 20mm dent where they've tried to bar it off.
I'm trying to work out the best way to re-fix the awning as access from the inside isn't really an option due to the fact the roof frame is supported all around with 200mm x 40mm box sections.

Thinking I'll try and pull out the dented section then fill the remaining area with body filler or depending if it comes out ok then re-fix the bracket bedding it on with Sikoflex to take out any undulations?
Alternatively I could get someone to form aluminium plates which would enlarge the fixing area for the brackets to be bolted through.
I've checked and I can easily purchase an extra two Fiamma brackets to also shorten the span between supports.
Fiamma F45 2.6m

Any advice would be appreciated (y)
ce6a858d-709c-424e-a8ea-6ebaa1d73a9c.JPG
f9305278-00a6-4703-8312-2533ed0560d7.JPG
5b04a211-b107-45f1-aedb-fc490c0f8c6d.JPG
14134a2d-52fb-46b2-b708-66ab00549890.JPG
IMG_7432.PNG

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Funnily enough I've just had my awning stolen. :crying:
Thankfully the thieves removed it fairly carefully so there is no damage to the van itself.

It seems strange to want to steal an awning- they're not exactly portable!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thankfully the thieves removed it fairly carefully so there is no damage to the van itself.

Where was your MH at the time?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None

But they are expensive!!

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
I would get hold of a good dent man. You will be surprised what they can take out. Try dent masters for local agent
Watched them take a bad dent out of the cant rail (similar panel to yours above door not accesable from inside due to airbags etc) on a Porsche Panamera using a puller without damaging paint. Well worth a chat with them

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Perhaps you could remove the bracket and re-fix it away from the dented section.

The body-to-bracket and bracket-to-awning fixings look like rivet nuts.
stainless_rivet nut.png
They are fixed from the front using a pliers-type tool just like pop rivets. No access to the back is required.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/sealey-ak3984-short-arm-threaded-nut-riveter/
nut_riveter.jpg
You can get them in various sizes, for various metal thicknesses, and in different materials: bright zinc plated (BZP) steel, brass, alloy and stainless steel.

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Thanks @GeoffChausson had a word with a body guy and he's going to have a look if the dent can be pulled out he did say that it might be a weak spot considering the weight that's pushing against it.

Thanks @autorouter thats exactly how they are fixed(y)
I managed to pack the brackets with a tube of acrylic filler to stop it wobbling until we got back to England.
I've ordered two more brackets from Fiamma when they arrive I'll remove the awning and have a proper look.
As you suggested perhaps I can move the rear bracket further back then fix the two new ones in between spreading the load?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Presumably Fiamma and the original installer reckon that two brackets are quite enough to take the load. If you can't get two in the optimum positions then maybe an extra one or two is a good idea. However I'm sure there'd be no problem fitting even half a dozen if you want.

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Where was your MH at the time?
It was in secure :) storage. Thieves managed to remove one of the fence panels and stole awnings off 3 vans.
The site owner was very upset that his security systems had been compromised and is in the process of installing extra cameras and more secure bolts on the panels. He runs a dealership and workshop and is replacing the awning for me, thus saving me from making an insurance claim which would have reflected badly on his facilities.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back