Advice Please On Travel Health Insurance (1 Viewer)

jue

Free Member
May 23, 2015
cheshire
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
5 years
Hi All, Can any one offer advice We are planning an approx 5 month trip over France Portugal and Spain, saga would only cover us if our trip was 120 days or less and staysure are quoting allmost £500 has any one got any suggestions our ages are 67 and 57. We are not sure if the European health insurance card from the NHS gives us enough cover Thanks for any help, JUE

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Try BUPA travel insurance which is available on 2 bases - worldwide including North America or excluding North America and either single trip or multi-trip per annum. Simple website to declare any existing conditions, medications or recent medical treatment with immediate premium adjustment. If I remember there are then 3 levels of cover for each type.

Currently in Canada for a week and just under £100 for 2 of us, both with pre-existing meds and conditions so a bargain if anything went wrong and a blue chip company! Used them for years and very pleased with them.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
On an annual multi trip the maximum length of travel is 62 days per trip, if aged over 66 which Pete is, it's 31 days. ie useless. I haven't looked at single trips with anyone as I really don't want that hassle every time we go - we just want to go when we go and come back ditto - not much point in being retired and having no pressing reasons to keep paying ferry fares otherwise, is there?

Have found a few companies that might do 120 days (most are 90) but then they won't cover me with my pre-existing conditions.

None of which, AFAIK so far - are likely to suddenly become a problem in foreign parts - so I have reluctantly decided that I'll just take one spare pair of earrings (have been known to lose a butterfly here or there) along with anything else we would have to think twice about the cost if we had to replace - and rely on our EHIC card to get us out of trouble - or indeed pay for a GP visit and a prescription if it wasn't actually a 'real' emergency.

If whatever means Pete can't drive, then we'd pay for one of the offspring to fly out and drive us home.

See - paying for it isn't the issue here - it's just that they WON'T give the cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Your EHIC will cover you for most things so it's just repatriation that's the problem if you have a sudden serious illness or kick the bucket. We spend 5 months in Spain in Winter and for the last few years have not had any travel insurance.

Mike

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
I have long stay with pre existing from Camping & Caravanning Club, can be away 182 days. My wife has annual multitrip as she flies home a couple of times, that covers 90 days each trip. I am 74, she is 68

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I can't find just Travel Insurance on the C&CC website ? Do you have to insure the van with them in order to get it or something ? (We are members but we already have the van insured elsewhere)

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad/travel-insurance/ I looked this up under European travel.....we had to use them last year to get us home when our motorhome broke down in Spain, cannot fault their service, our motorhome is covered with Saga, has breakdown cover with them, they brought the mh home on lowloader and took it to our preferred place of repair in our home town, again could not fault the service provided.
Hope this helps

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
once again if you can get it ADAC is the answer it includes medical repatriation of yourselves and the vehicle. There appears to be some doubt about the availability of ADAC for new customers and cannot comment there but am I have have readof people getting it by ringing Germany direct.
Or maybe try the link below
https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Last year we found it cheaper to get 2 policies one each. Found a company that does insurance purely for motorhome/caravan holidays, does cover flights to and from van though, blowed if i can remember who it was and had wanted to try them this year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back