Advice on last minute jaunt to Spain (1 Viewer)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Taking delivery of a new (to me 2019 ) Rapido 8094df van next week and am looking for tips on what I should prepare to get going to Spain for 5 weeks (ish) with my son and a couple of bikes and some golf clubs.
Ive never took the MH abroad before though done plenty uk and Ireland...so would appreciate any advice from the experienced funsters. HE and I are both so looking forward to it, so hope we can get it done. If we cant make this next 2 weeks then it will have to be after crimbo.
We are planning to head off 19th or the week after (november)

SO Far My list consists of
Ferry to Bilbao then drive from there down toward Valencia (or barca not decided yet) and then meander along the southern coast over about 4 weeks, we havent really planned yet thought we would do so en route. I cant seem to book anything earlier then March 22 via Brittany Ferries website ? but seem to be Ok for November via third parties, and doent look like cabins are available? just recline seats

MH European insurance
Driving licence (plastic card)
Travel Health insurance
Passports (6 months left)
V5
Triangle & Vest (or flashing light I beleive if anyone has any recommends)
Breathaliser kits
GB Sticker for van
Ensure we have a spare wheel

questions I think I have are

Im carrying 2 propane, can anyone advise on what adapter please, is gas easy to come by
Is it Toll roads the best options? pay as you go or pre paid
We would look at staying mostly on sites with EHU but can equally wild or do "aires" we have done plenty wilding in the past and have van the set up for it ,if anyone has recommends Id appreciate it
Probably drive 2 hours ish per day, till we go along the coats then just take it as it comes.
And as for the route back, is it hassle to get into portugal and drive up the west coast ?

We are really looking forward to it, and usually the last minutes ones can be the best. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Dump the Breathaliser kits and I think that the GB sticker should be UK. Are your Propane cylinders refillable and what size are they? If on sites you should manage OK with a couple of 5Kgs cyclinders

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years

This is the type of adapter needed for autogas filler in spain.
Make sure it has correct thread to fit your fill point.
Assume you have a refillable system.
If visiting other countries in future might be worthwhile buying the usual set of 3 .

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Would also recommend GHIC (was EHIC) card in addition to Travel insurance
Since 1 January 2021, the deal negotiated by the UK government allows those issued with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before the end of 2020 to continue to use it before its expiry date.

(Other websites are available).

You'll also need a ref. no. to put on your PLF for the 2 day post-return Covid test and the NHS PASS cert to prove you've been vaccinated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Deleted User
Taking delivery of a new (to me 2019 ) Rapido 8094df van next week and am looking for tips on what I should prepare to get going to Spain for 5 weeks (ish) with my son and a couple of bikes and some golf clubs.
Ive never took the MH abroad before though done plenty uk and Ireland...so would appreciate any advice from the experienced funsters. HE and I are both so looking forward to it, so hope we can get it done. If we cant make this next 2 weeks then it will have to be after crimbo.

Ferry to Bilbao then drive from there down toward Valencia (or barca not decided yet) and then meander along the southern coast over about 4 weeks, we havent really planned yet thought we would do so en route. I cant seem to book anything earlier then March 22 via Brittany Ferries website ? but seem to be Ok for November via third parties, and doent look like cabins are available? just recline seats

MH European insurance
Travel Health insurance
V5
Breathaliser kits
GB Sticker for van

Im carrying 2 propane, can anyone advise on what adapter please, is gas easy to come by
We would look at staying mostly on sites with EHU but can equally wild or do "aires" we have done plenty wilding in the past and have van the set up for it ,if anyone has recommends Id appreciate it
Probably drive 2 hours ish per day, till we go along the coats then just take it as it comes.
And as for the route back, is it hassle to get into portugal and drive up the west coast ?

We are really looking forward to it, and usually the last minutes ones can be the best. Thanks for any advice.

I don't know how third parties can book BF Portsmouth to Bilbao before March 22 because the service is not running.

Portsmouth to Santander will be your only option and some 4 berth inside cabins at £99 are still available in November and December.

OP
OP
Tombola

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
One more question, If i have just bought the MH and dont have the full V5 but have the slip off it, am I ok?
thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
One more question, If i have just bought the MH and dont have the full V5 but have the slip off it, am I ok?
thanks
No, but you used to be able to get a form from DVLA but I don't think they do it any more.

If you wear glasses for driving you need a spare pair.

Have a look at my travel threads for ideas of where to go, links in my signature.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
You will need the full v5 in your name with you when travelling into the eu.
Will photo copies do as if your van gets nicked with the v5 inside, would the bad men / women would be able to sell it?

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Will photo copies do as if your van gets nicked with the v5 inside, would the bad men / women would be able to sell it?
I always have a V5 online scanned copy plus copies of passports, driving licences, insurance docs. Plus all the covid stuff and lft serial number etc.
I use Google Drive, free and very easy to upload, never goes missing and always available from devices or police custody desktop pc 😁

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Vehicle breakdown & recovery &repatriation insurance!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Portsmouth - Santander crossing, I have sent you a 10% discount code.

I’m not sure if you are not already here as you are sporting a Spanish flag.

Don’t bother with toll tags, it’s more expensive for short term use.

A flashing beacon will soon be required over triangle(s).

An umbrella as it’s been raining in some parts for weeks now.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As someone else posted, 6 months on your passport is not enough, get a new one smartish.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Just got back from Spain via Santander last night, heading back on 7th December. The only sailing is to Santander is on Galaicia. Its their new small boat. includes three Coures evening meal and small selection continental breakfast or you can pay £6 for cooked big boys. The boat yesterday was was full. We turned up at the port around 12.30 (Sailing 5.30pm)was parked up near the front. Went for a lovely walk and meal on the sea front. Was loaded from 4pm ,we were put on straight away. Loading took three hours and on board people were complaining overall that it took five hours in the Q to check in and board (BF check each Covid certificate and PLF so its slow), so get there early if your return boat is full. Fuel leaving Santander at the various garages around 1.27/1.30 then keep an eye on your travels for independent garages selling from 1.25 to 1.32. Major garages all charging 1.45. LPG in the main is from Repsol around 79 cent. At Portsmouth one of the first in line off and through passport control in 10 minutes(They were searching all MHs for extra passengers)

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for the update. We return on the same crossing, in two weeks time.
I'm interested how you presented your information.
Did you use electronic devices or did you use a paper document?
Can you use either?
Is one better than the other?
Thanks.

jim999bob

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
isle wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp

MH European insurance
Travel Health insurance
V5
Breathaliser kits
GB Sticker for van

Hi,
Also planning a trip to Spain with 2x propane bottles, I am also taking 2x campingaz 407 butane cylinders and a regulator. Gampingaz is available throughout Europe. I don't think you will be able to refill the propane bottles, your on board regulator should take either gas.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Thanks for the update. We return on the same crossing, in two weeks time.
I'm interested how you presented your information.
Did you use electronic devices or did you use a paper document?
Can you use either?
Is one better than the other?
Thanks.
Had all info on I pad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back