Advice on fitting Ducato pvc sliding side step (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I learnt a new word today, thanks to MMM. Rivnuts. It seems that using these I could fit side steps without drilling right through the van floor. I have seen pics on ebay of Thule sliding side steps with 4 brackets with fixing holes above, but you can also buy a plastic fitting kit. Which would be best? Also, would SS or zinc Rivnuts be preferable? I was thinking of using manual steps but fitting some sort of warning device. Is there a suitable switch?

I didn't notice when we bought the van that there was no step fitted, all the others I looked at had them. Oh, I thought, plastic ones are cheap enough. The first ones tipped over and broke. Sore ankle. The second I backed over, but it did straighten mostly. Plus the drop is so big that access is difficult without, and they get in the way inside the van.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Zinc Rivnuts will be fine although for the few pence extra they cost you might as well fit stainless. Bear in mind that the tool used to set large Rivnuts isn't cheap - certainly not cheap enough to purchase for one job. Any waterproof limit switch will provide a warning light - it only has to be in a position where it's operated when the step is stowed. I can't find a plastic fitting kit so can't comment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back