Advice on air con and generators please! (1 Viewer)

TheEscapist

Free Member
Mar 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hello Everyone

I’m looking forward to contributing to the forum and most of all, learning a lot...

I’ve just bought my second motorhome, a Carthago Liner for Two 53.

Previous one was a Bilbo Camper 30 years ago so I’m really a newbie...!

The Carthago comes with most things but my concern is about self-sufficiency. I want to te off the beaten track. I know the Liner for Two is hardly an all terrain survival vehicle but what I’m looking for is a comfortable life but with independence.

To this end, I’m wondering about air-conditioning and generators.

I think the water (200l) and grey water (185l) are enough.

I’ve specified a third leisure battery and ordered solar panels.

The engine is a 2.3l Fiat Ducato uprated to 180hp and the chassis uprated to 4,800kgs. The diesel tank is 90 litres so at around 30mpg I’m banking on a range of around 600 miles.

So I figure I’m all sorted except I wonder about the whole relationship between the engine charging the three leisure batteries, the solar panels charging the batteries in the daytime (apparently they are the type that work in all weather not just sun), using appliances at night, and then when I’m in hotter climes, using air con and the need for a generator.

I think I would be fine without a generator with sensible evening use with electricity from the 3 batteries but when I use air con the batteries won’t support it.

So my choices seem to be plug in at a site or use a generator. For when I’m not on a site, what size generator would run the aircon for a night and would it not be too noisy (I’m guessing not in the scooter garage).

Also, how should all the abov be word together?

The dealer says they have never fitted a generator so I’m wondering if I’m overdoing things or whether this is a sensible option.

Yanks in advance for helpful advice from you all.

Best wishes

Paul

Attachments

• 9774B4C2-BB66-47B4-9548-C421D2F7DB9F.jpeg
    9774B4C2-BB66-47B4-9548-C421D2F7DB9F.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 62

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If using the van mainly in mainland Europe fit 400 - 600 watts of solar on the roof with a good quality MPPT regulator.
And if still worried about power fit lithium batteries.

The OP will need a friendly Bank Manager for that lot .. :D2 :)

Upvote 0

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
@eddievanbitz sold me two panels for £500 said they work a treat at night. Lunar panels he called them. Brilliant (y)

Look as I may I cant find Lunar panels anywhere they sound just what I need, can you post a link bet the price is out of this world

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Some misunderstanding, I think. He actually meant that lunar panels work great ON the moon. No clouds and less atmosphere to reduce the sunlight.
No no, Jim has a pair of our new lunar panels fitted to his van.

The term ‘lunar’ is confusing, they work all the time, just better in moonlight or sunless, cloudy days.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Some misunderstanding, I think. He actually meant that lunar panels work great ON the moon. No clouds and less atmosphere to reduce the sunlight.

The term ‘lunar’ is confusing, they work all the time, just better in moonlight or sunless, cloudy days.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s

The brightness of the moon is about 13.6% of the brightness of the sun. So a 100 watt solar panel would be a 13.6 watt lunar panel. So 300 watts of solar panel would be about 40 watts of lunar panel. Not very much, but better than nothing.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The brightness of the moon is about 13.6% of the brightness of the sun. So a 100 watt solar panel would be a 13.6 watt lunar panel. So 300 watts of solar panel would be about 40 watts of lunar panel. Not very much, but better than nothing.
Sadly being "Lunar Panels" ours tend to abscond on Full Moons! Don't know why! or HowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwL

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
That's nonsense, where does this clown get his figures from:(? That's the value of the reflected light on the moon.

On the earth, due to the distance, if it's a full moon, a 100 watt panel will be about 1 milliwatt, which is effectively zero for practical purposes.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hello Everyone

I’m looking forward to contributing to the forum and most of all, learning a lot...

I’ve just bought my second motorhome, a Carthago Liner for Two 53.

Previous one was a Bilbo Camper 30 years ago so I’m really a newbie...!

The Carthago comes with most things but my concern is about self-sufficiency. I want to te off the beaten track. I know the Liner for Two is hardly an all terrain survival vehicle but what I’m looking for is a comfortable life but with independence.

To this end, I’m wondering about air-conditioning and generators.

I think the water (200l) and grey water (185l) are enough.

I’ve specified a third leisure battery and ordered solar panels.

The engine is a 2.3l Fiat Ducato uprated to 180hp and the chassis uprated to 4,800kgs. The diesel tank is 90 litres so at around 30mpg I’m banking on a range of around 600 miles.

So I figure I’m all sorted except I wonder about the whole relationship between the engine charging the three leisure batteries, the solar panels charging the batteries in the daytime (apparently they are the type that work in all weather not just sun), using appliances at night, and then when I’m in hotter climes, using air con and the need for a generator.

I think I would be fine without a generator with sensible evening use with electricity from the 3 batteries but when I use air con the batteries won’t support it.

So my choices seem to be plug in at a site or use a generator. For when I’m not on a site, what size generator would run the aircon for a night and would it not be too noisy (I’m guessing not in the scooter garage).

Also, how should all the abov be word together?

The dealer says they have never fitted a generator so I’m wondering if I’m overdoing things or whether this is a sensible option.

Yanks in advance for helpful advice from you all.

Best wishes

Paul

Ignore the "humorous" parts of the comments above but note that you seem to have been given some strange information by your dealer.

A generator will struggle with a/c plus all of the other demands and won't be quiet.

Where are you planning to visit for your holidays and what times of the year will you be away?

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
I have to agree about generators its one of the 2 things that upset most people the other is yappy dogs.
If you really want the air con why not first choose one probably dometic .go to a site that sells them it shouldtell the start up power needed will be possibly 2kw that will give you genny size.
I would have one if i didnt have other priorities

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Without doubt the Endless Breeze 12Volt Fan by Dometic is the way to go. We have had them fitted (did it myself) for 4 years now and even in Spain at 30C+ in August we can enjoy life inside the MH as can the cats all day and sleep well at night. Bedroom vent draws air in - Front vent draws air out at night and reverse during the day.

Model name corrected.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Without doubt the Endless Breeze 12Volt Fan by Dometic is the way to go. We have had them fitted (did it myself) for 4 years now and even in Spain at 30C+ in August we can enjoy life inside the MH as can the cats all day and sleep well at night. Bedroom vent draws air in - Front vent draws air out at night and reverse during the day.
The Endless Breeze is freestanding

Do you mean Fantastic Fan?

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
As QFour says, running a generator at campsite would be the very last of the last choices and only then in an emergency type scenario. It just pisses everyone else off around you.
Spend the money you would have invested in a genny on more solar panels and more batteries..
Or go Lithium if you have a few more quid to throw at it.

Upvote 0

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968

Model name corrected.

Bit concerned with the video as i didn't see him put any supporting framework between the inner and outer roof skins if that is the case he can look forward to leak problems very quickly

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Bit concerned with the video as i didn't see him put any supporting framework between the inner and outer roof skins if that is the case he can look forward to leak problems very quickly
I used the video purely as a visual aid.

I fitted mine and so far no leaks and trust me when it rains in Spain it rains.......

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back