Advice from the experts please on which MH to buy? (1 Viewer)

Rich.Bev

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Knaresborough
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
used to living in a works van when working away with my wife! Lived on a boat before!
Hi Everyone, I joined in the hope that someone at MotorhomeFun can give me advice on which motorhome to buy? I have spent months off and on, going round and round in circles, and now am totally confused by it all!!
My requirements are as follows:-
A large garage width 30" x height 44" (minimum) to take a Tramper 3 wheel off-road scooter with a weight of 150kg. A door on the opposite side would help too, to get it in and out, but not essential.
Solar panels to charge the scooter perhaps?
Single beds above the garage
Driver and passenger seat to swivel around to face a U type lounge? Not sure of what the layouts are called, but think this is the right one?
2 seats in u lounge to front facing and to have seat belts for childrens safety car seats
Double bed drop down above driver/passenger seats
Insulated well enough for winter use
Does it have to have habitation check?
I would have liked something of 3,500kg for the younger members of the family to drive it, but the weight of the scooter tells me I need to go bigger using my 7.5 ton licence? So chassis needs to be strong?
Tow ball in the event I might wish to tow-a-car
Shower can be integral with toilet area.
I am used to Mercedes 814 7.5 ton panel vans for work, but with the extra width of an MH, anything shorter would be ideal for parking!!
Prefer RHD, but in desperation might consider a LHD (really desperate!!)
I would love the Hymer M-LI 580 4X4 as I like the idea of going places that others fear, but the price of this against my £30k to £34k limit rules, this choice out!!
Please, please, can anyone give me some pointers or advice and even perhaps point me in the right direction as to which van would be suitable for my requirements?
I await with bated breath and fingers crossed!!
Richard

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Welcome.....
A 150k scooter will rule out a van at 3500k as it will suck up your payload.
Winterised will mean a continental van, there are a few about but you would probably be looking at 10y+ and most will be 6.5-8m long

Twin rear beds may eat into the garage so there will be a compromise in what you require....

Good luck.... but most of all have fun..(y)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My advice is, get over the LHD phobia and go for Rear Wheel Drive twin wheeler then with a diff lock you have 4 wheel drive.

IVECO Merc or Transit chassis springs to mind.

Martin

Upvote 0

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Emm-Bee have a terrific Eura Mobil 840 EB that's at least 10% too much, but does tick many of the boxes your looking for.

Over budget I know; but might set the ball rolling in what's out there?

I'd be looking at Dethleff's, Frankia & Hobby vans as being most likely to meet your needs.

Good luck in your search.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rich.Bev

Rich.Bev

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Knaresborough
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
used to living in a works van when working away with my wife! Lived on a boat before!
Thank you Sas R us for your input, and I think you have answered one of my questions regarding payload. I am used to the 7.3 mtr lengths anyway, so will I forget about a shorter vehicle -it was only an idea if there happened to be a smaller around?
Thank you too Martin (funflair). I was only thinking of RHD, as at the moment, I haven't seen anything of the UK properly yet, and it was the thought of driving down country roads in the UK with a LHD -especially with the size of vehicle you are recommending. I have thought about the twin wheelers, but no idea of the extra fuel consumption? Have you any input on this mpg?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think LHD is good in the UK as its really easy to sit right into the LH gutter, we ended up with it because the van I wanted was LHD after a couple of days I was fine with it and wouldn't go RHD now, we do travel abroad as well though.

The twin rear wheel RWD drive option won't increase fuel consumption thats the weight and aerodynamics of a brick BUT it will give you much better traction on and off road.

MPG 3 litre manual @8.5 metres 3.3 high and running just under 6 T we get between 19 and 24.

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rich.Bev

Rich.Bev

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Knaresborough
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thank you Imbiber. The Eura Mobil ticks the boxes (don't like leather though!), and too expensive too unfortunately. I will have a look at the others....but there are so many models!!! This is why I once contacted a Dealer to narrow down my search, only to be told I was asking a lot!! AmI???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rich.Bev

Rich.Bev

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Knaresborough
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks Funflair for the mpg. My 814 does 17 to the gallon with a 4.2 engine, so anything that gets me further on 1 gallon will help a lot!! Sorry to be a bit of a newbie (I am), but you obviously are aware of twin wheels and diff locks etc? May I ask if this is what you have for your drivetrain?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Funflair for the mpg. My 814 does 17 to the gallon with a 4.2 engine, so anything that gets me further on 1 gallon will help a lot!! Sorry to be a bit of a newbie (I am), but you obviously are aware of twin wheels and diff locks etc? May I ask if this is what you have for your drivetrain?
We have IVECO daily chassis 3 litre manual, RWD twin wheels and yes to diff lock, we have the standard IVECO rear air suspension and thinking about having semi air on the front if the £ stays low to the Euro (won't be changing) ours is 10 years old now but only done about 70k miles which you will appreciate is nothing for a good commercial chassis with regular service, our van has a brochure figure of 1.4 T payload but a lump of that goes with factory fitted options but even still we have about 0.5 T spare when fully loaded.

Martin

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Have you looked at the Hymer range?

Not that many with fixed single rear beds and garage but there are a couple built up to 2006 with the Fiat 2800 engine.

B Class 674, 6.99m long, built on 3500/3900 chassis. Or, B Class 774, 7.71m long, built on 4500 chassis. Both with drop down beds over the cab.

Beware that not all 4 berth vans have 4 belted seats.

Best of luck with your search.

PS. If you are happy with transverse rear beds, then the Hymer S Class range might be suitable built on a Mercedes chassis.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rich.Bev

Rich.Bev

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Knaresborough
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thank you Wagoneer -much appreciated. I must admit I like the Hymers and I am quite happy to go for an older vehicle- it is just the case of finding one that suits my needs. The input from everyone is very gratefully received, along with those who have sent a welcome note too!

Upvote 0

barwik

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
dont own one - yet !
Exp
I am by far no expert but after doing exactly you are doing and getting motorhome overload I had to give up for a bit but eventually came back to the Hymer's , picking up an 2007 b544 - 3.0l engine which is plenty powerful enough and has near a ton of payload if required . Also as its a Private light goods its only £165 to tax it - its a great lounge area but that's jus our taste - we went to look at another over in Ripon which was a different layout and had a garage at the rear big enough for a scooter - we nearly went for that one ( both were in your budget ) .

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
List what you want, split the list into "must have" and "would be prepared to compromise". Then list "must not have". After that you can start to discount models and consider others.

Have you thought of having a van built (or re-built) for you?

We have a SunLiving and the limit on the garage is 150kg. SunLiving is built on the same chassis as Adria so that might help rule that out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rich.Bev

Rich.Bev

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Knaresborough
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thank you all for your input. I am off next week to get my knee replaced, so am putting my MH choice on hold until I know when I can drive again, and able to start looking at even more vehicles! As Puddleduck mentioned, it is better to compromise on a few things!!

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you all for your input. I am off next week to get my knee replaced, so am putting my MH choice on hold until I know when I can drive again, and able to start looking at even more vehicles! As Puddleduck mentioned, it is better to compromise on a few things!!
Good luck with op!
We always make a pro and con list when deciding on a van!

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Hi Richard,
I'm a new boy on here so take what I suggest with a pinch of salt but take note.
Having lived and worked abroad I had to change my driving licence for a full European one.
When I retired and returned to the UK I was astonished to find that my licence renewal back to a full UK one omitted anything over 3500.
I note that you are 66 so soon you will be in the age group that I entered, i.e. 70 when this all kicks in.
Other more learned MHomers may be able to enlighten you more.
Enjoy your travels.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You can get the over 3.5 ton licence back with a medical from your doctor. Definitely worth doing for the extra payload you'll get with a larger van.

Denise

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I know you have you have specified a tow bar as you might want to tow a car later on but have you thought about towing your scooter meantime? That might open the door to your 3500 kg nice to have option.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
This seems to tick a lot of the boxes but it's always a compromise.(y)

Link Removed

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I know you have you have specified a tow bar as you might want to tow a car later on but have you thought about towing your scooter meantime? That might open the door to your 3500 kg nice to have option.
I was thinking exactly that! 150kg sitting on the overhang is going to overload most motorhomes on the rear axle, but any motorhome could tow 150kg on a trailer!

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What you are looking for does almost exist - most of the European manufacturers will have them in their present range. The problems are the weight and the price. The Hymer we have (2015 B678) would tick all the boxes except those. I have a garage full of lots of stuff, including a 100Kg Scooter but I am still 80kg light on the rear axle.

As other have said you will struggle to get one under 3500kg that would still take the scooter and all the other stuff you will take with you, especially if you are planning to use those kids seats.

As for price twin rear beds over the garage may be the problem. They have only become popular relatively recently, so you will struggle to find an older motorhome within your budget that has them. On the other hand a double rear bed over the garage has been about longer, and you should be able to find lots in your price range.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back