Advice for longer term storage (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2020
San Antonio Tlayacapan, Mexico
Funster No
MH
2023 LTV Unity TB
Exp
I've read a lot of comments on various threads here and in North America about the perils of longer term storage. The term "rot lot" comes to mind.
Here is our situation. We plan to have a European motorhome for travel 3 months of the year in Europe and store it under cover for the other 9 months. Only three months for two reasons: 90 out of 180 days in the Schengen zone; and too hard on our aged bodies to travel from Mexico to Europe twice a year.

The question then becomes, what can we do to mitigate the effects of long term storage? For example, buy a second set of used wheels and tires to use during the storage period; or, put the mh on jack stands; or, ??

Li batteries can be handed easily. Fresh water systems could be filled with food grade antifreeze. But what about the motor and drive train, what can be done to keep that up? And then, what can we do to ensure that the interior of the mh doesn't deteriorate? Obvioulsy, clean out the fridge, turn it off and leave it open is one thing. Can anything be done to alleviate any dampness over that period of time?

I'm sure, reading this, you begin to see my dilemma. I don't even know all the right questions. All suggestions and ideas gratefully accepted except suggestions not to proceed with this plan or suggestions to rent! Thanks.

Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
Hi,
Re your interior concerns, I have just acquired one of these. The reviews are very good. The concept appears perfect for the prevention of damp, moisture, mould.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-04 at 05.46.38.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-04 at 05.46.38.png
    499.1 KB · Views: 54
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Could you not pay someone to periodically check it over, move it slightly or even give it a short run, turn the heating on etc?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Could you not pay someone to periodically check it over, move it slightly or even give it a short run, turn the heating on etc?

This 👆

Whilst I'm yet to take ownership of my own 'van, I fully intend to take it for a good run on an at least fortnightly basis when in storage. I know from experience that any modern vehicle (my 2011 Skoda for example) needs to be used regularly to keep it running, looking and smelling sweet.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Unless you have already bought your motorhome, I would look into hiring one I understand (being perhaps of the older generation insurance maybe a problem) by the time you have taken purchase, storage, long term maintenance and depreciation into account it may be a more cost effective option.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
you could try one of the classic car storage firms probably be stored in a secure dehumidified store and started and moved regularly, but costs would probably be more than renting

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I wouldnt consider antifreeze of any sort in the water system. Just drain it.
The hymer next to mine in storage has a tax disk expired in 2014 and is green all over. It will need new tyres I think.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Garry ... hmm ... difficult one to give a 'best' answer to ...

One thing to check out even before you get a MH is what the situation is regarding MH insurance - in the UK insurers don't usually cover MHs when they are stored out of the owner's country so best to find out if that will be the same for you.

As for storing, I should think a good storage site in the 'base' location for the MH would be able to take care of your MH, obviously what this would cost I don't know but as you've already stated you can't leave it just sitting there for 9 months without anything being done to keep it in good order. If you can say where in Europe you want to have a 'permanent' store for it funsters may be able to give suggestions on suitable storage facilities.

You may be able to get a good long-term rental for what it would cost to maintain and store a MH so don't rule that out completely.

Another option which may work is a 'buy back deal' with a European seller, so you 'buy' a MH, use it for 3 months, then they take it back at an agreed price, I believe this is done in the USA quite a bit so may be done elsewhere too. Obviously there's the logistics to think of such as where you'd store your chattels between trips but that would be easier to sort than storing a MH.

Not sure if this would work but have you thought of buying it with another owner? Like a time share with a holiday apartment so that you both get to use it, obviously you'd need to have a proper written agreement as to how this would work, who'd be responsible for what etc, this would share the cost of ownership but also it wouldn't be sat for 9 months not being used either.

A final option would be to get a dealer to let it out when you don't need it but that could be a bit 'risky' if it gets damaged and you can't then use it.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
When you say 'travel in Europe' do you mean mainland europe,not uk?,
I'm sure many Van's are left for long periods of time, especially this current year with no Ill effects (the odd flat battery)
If you dont have to come to the uk it may be worth talking to a dealer in mainland europe

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would advertise a motorhome sharing syndicate where 2 or 3 couples share a European based MH and the costs. It might come to nothing but there must be other expats with similar needs. It would need a solicitor to draw up an agreement.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I wouldnt consider antifreeze of any sort in the water system. Just drain it.
Food-grade antifreeze is an American thing, not much used this side of the pond. It's available, but not popular. An alternative is a dedicated small compressor that blows all water out of the system.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The question then becomes, what can we do to mitigate the effects of long term storage? For example, buy a second set of used wheels and tires to use during the storage period; or, put the mh on jack stands; or, ??
If you get a motorhome fitted with hydraulic levelling legs, that will make changing the wheels or placing axle stands very much easier. I'm not sure about leaving it elevated on levelling legs for 9 months, others with experience of this maybe can advise, but it doesn't sound like a good idea.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Where would your 'base' country be ?

I presume you would want it to be English or Spanish speaking, as it makes the paperwork a lot easier.
In which case you are limited to the UK, Eire and Spain

The UK would give you a the widest range of MH to buy, keeping in mind much of Europe, like the USA and Mexico drive on the wrong side of the road.

The interior of Spain has a less humid and warmer climate than either the UK or Eire, which would be better for storage.

In the South East of the UK there are a number of Car Vaults, for long term storage of classic cars.
A lot are filled with bankers Ferrari's and Saudi Princes Lamborginis, but they also store classic cars as well.

There is a big film industry to the west of London (close to Heathrow) where you will find a number of facilities that store vehicles long term for film use.

The advantage of using one of the proper car storage places is they will cover your vehicle, ensure the electrics are OK and start it up once a month or so. They will also deliver it to wherever it's needed (Heathrow Arrivals )

Windrush is one of many companies in the field.

The downside is the cost could be prohibitive.
Personally, given the depreciation etc I think you would be better either hiring or buying and then selling.

Germany is the cheapest place to hire MH's (you also get the better models in Germany)
We have used DRM in the past, they speak English, so it could be worth a call to get a quote for a 3 month rental

Finding a place to store your kit between hires is easy all over Europe.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i nthink the idea of a motorhome share was probably the best idea that way the van would be used all the time.southern europe and morroco have reasonable weather all year

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back