Advice about dog feeding (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
As well as tripe,I meant to add a comment about feeding generally. I think it’s a good idea to vary the diet occasionally,but a chap I know who spent 50 odd years working with hounds often says......Don’t worry,the dog will eat when it’s hungry,and you won’t make him eat. Don’t leave the food down. And he knows as much about keeping dogs as any vet.
Yes,of course,you have to be satisfied that there’s nothing physically wrong with it as well,but I think you’ve already done that.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I had a look at the food, but I'm wondering whether the minced bone could end up being sharp cooked splinters and so not a good risk to take - shame really as it does look good with the offal pre-mixed in.
The bone is raw and thus does not splinter. Only cooked bones splinter. Bones should be non weight bearing too.

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
The bone is raw and thus does not splinter. Only cooked bones splinter. Bones should be non weight bearing too.
I'm going to be cooking the mince which is why the minced bones could be a problem - I've done all my calculations regarding the calories for both dogs, what a minefield that was, and based on the quantities of raw ingredients it will work out around 2.5-3 days for one batch.

However, I need a back-up plan as well so that I'm not forever dithering about what else I can use for them - I liked the look of Forthglade and have thoroughly trawled their website, I'm not anticipating adding any vegetables and am steering clear of the dried element so will try the brown rice one which is 75% meat or fish.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I'm going to be cooking the mince which is why the minced bones could be a problem - I've done all my calculations regarding the calories for both dogs, what a minefield that was, and based on the quantities of raw ingredients it will work out around 2.5-3 days for one batch.

However, I need a back-up plan as well so that I'm not forever dithering about what else I can use for them - I liked the look of Forthglade and have thoroughly trawled their website, I'm not anticipating adding any vegetables and am steering clear of the dried element so will try the brown rice one which is 75% meat or fish.

Ah. Sorry, my mistake. Worth talking to your local butcher. Mine does minced beef cheek with offal. Human quality meat and a good price at £1.85 a kilo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Are we safe to give uncooked chicken wings to Charlie?

Thanks.

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
yes providing he chews them properly and does'nt just try to swallow them ..

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I thought I'd give an update of how things have gone since I changed their food.

I've been cooking for them from the recipe provided by @adt but changed it somewhat as Harry doesn't like liver... no idea why not but he picks it out, and while Poppy will eat it I can't be bothered to try and separate it out from all his portions.

I've also changed the 75g each of rice and pasta to just 150g rice, I did work out the calorie count however and they still get the correct amount for their personal needs. The difference in their coats is amazing, it felt a bit dry and just not very nice, now Harry's hair is soft and fluffy and Poppy's top coat is cleaner feeling, not dry, and the undercoat is soft. They love the food, no hesitation in eating it and Poppy dances when the bowl is on its way (dancing and spinning). I've separated them for eating, they now eat either side of the fridge and although can see each other's back legs and tail, can't actually see the action at the head end.

This morning I ran out of the home made and tried them on Forthglade, neither was interested, so I grated a little cheese and stirred it in and also added some Lily's dried for Harry as he does eat it, he ate everything in the bowl without too much fuss, but Poppy (proving what a clever terrier she is) removed every piece of Forthglade and dumped it on the floor or the mat while she ate every tiny scraping of cheese she could find, and then casually sauntered out into the garden for a spot of sunbathing!

Harry now eats out of a melamine bowl, he's happy and so we're happy, and Poppy doesn't care about metal bowls, as long as the food's good then she has no problem at all.

Next will be going the chicken wing route at lunchtime when they normally have the smallest size Dentastix.

After that I'll try other things in their home made food, adding in sardines or a little tuna when we're eating it; we already know that Harry likes smoked salmon and prawns although Poppy isn't so bothered, but she'll do anything for cheese - the smellier the better!

Thank you for all your help, as far as we're concerned everything is now all good in "the House of Dog" (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back