Rally Adventure Overland Show ---Stratford-Upon-Avon 2015 (2 Viewers)

nomadtim

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
Iwade
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 1017a
Exp
Around the world in a land rover Defender,UK to Aqaba Bmw r100gs, Uk to Turkey Bmw 650 gs Daker.
Sounds like you have it all covered Tom, looks like being a great show, with some very informative people going.
Will pop over and say hi
Regards nomadtim

Tom Mc

Free Member
Aug 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
1974 Range Rover Classic
Exp
Do so. I'm always telling folk that the best place to find me is in the evening propping up the bar - not because of the obvious, although it would be rude not to have a pint or three - but because it's a focal point and the only place where I'm static all weekend. Ask the bar staff to point me out, they'll have an inkling of who I am! :rolleyes:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
... just to add, in case you weren't aware, there are seminars Friday evening from 18:00 to 21:15 (come and go as you please) + catering, although you won't need that as Nigel & Pamela have just returned from Sweden, so the meatballs won't be from Aldi!!! :D After seminars the band will start up - middle of the road music, not rap/hip hop and modern noise!

The seminars will continue all day Saturday and into the evening until 19:00, then the bild up to the England vs Wales World Cup Rugby game starts, the actual match starts at 20:00. After the game, live music again with a great rock band featuring all the old favourites - again no modern rubbish!

Finally, after another day of seminars until 16:00 when the show officially closes, Sunday evening the officials, the remaining traders and campers all head over the road (quite literally a 5-10 walk) to the local curry house ... where the food is excellent. Again, you're more than welcome to join us.

See you soon, thanks again to Merle (main man this year), Sundowners and all of you attending for supporting this event. We are trying to get across the fact that you don't have to have all-wheel-drive to have an adventure. Travelling is all about where you go and who you meet, no matter what you drive. Sermon over! (y)

Tom Mc - Organiser and GDB (General Dog's Body)
Event mobile: 07958 216266 - any problems ring us.
Walk Tom? shouldn't that be stagger :D or is that only on the way back :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tom Mc

Free Member
Aug 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
1974 Range Rover Classic
Exp
Well of course you're right, stagger is a lot more apt. I have been know to nod off at these Sunday night meals as the first time all weekend (and most of the week leading up to it) that I actually have a chance to sit down. Add a beer or three into the mix, the result is inevitable. That's what it's all about!

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Don't forget to take note of your mileage before setting out for the meet, there's a bottle of scotch on offer for the furthest traveled.
Genuine mileages only please, Mr Google could be used to verify;)

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
We are here with the event shelters erected look for the Fun flags and as of tomorrow morning follow the yellow and black FUN direction signs. Follow around the perimeter of the race track in an anti-clockwise direction to the bottom gate .... the kettle will be on :)

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Update for those coming to the meet. After coming through the racetrack gates initial show directions will lead you through the public camping area, those of you needind to fill water tanks please do so here!! The signs will then lead you over the actual racetrack, please please TURN RIGHT immediately after crossing the track and follow the FUN signs around the track to the bottom gate. We are camped a few hundred yards inside the gate, the flag is flying. Any problems please contact me pn 07 586 046 306. Please remember to have your camping pass showing in your windscreen and to record your mileage travelled to the show. Photo of FUN sign attached 20150922_101431.jpg

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
check the fun numbers we have 145 members at Lincoln and only 10 to 20 there it speaks for its self

dave[/QUOTE
You can only lead a horse to the water Tom :)
Really looking forward to seeing you all this weekend :) Cream of the Crop :)

nomadtim

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
Iwade
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 1017a
Exp
Around the world in a land rover Defender,UK to Aqaba Bmw r100gs, Uk to Turkey Bmw 650 gs Daker.
If anyone can lay their hands on some wood for the wood stoves that would be nice.
What sort of wood would one prefer, Tree wood, mature wood, or log wood?

nomadtim

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
Iwade
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 1017a
Exp
Will arrive around 3 pm on Friday give us a shout I'm in the blue hilux and will bring some over to you.
Regards Tim

nomadtim

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
Iwade
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 1017a
Exp
No worries see you soon

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Cindy will probably arrive in the van sometime early to mid afternoon today. (y)

I have to finish work, so won't get there until later :rolleyes:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Got her late afternoon to a wonderful greeting from Mr and Mrs Merle :)

Mr Merle walked all the way over with me to show me where the standpipe was - silly me missed it on the way in - then after they had helped me park up was very professionally greeted by Mrs Merle with well organised handout and invited to the marquee for REAL Swedish meatballs. Imported donated and beautifully cooked by Mr and Mrs Sundowners - so lovely to have a hot meal after a long journey, and no need to do the cooking :)

And a marquee with wood burning stoves and hot drinks on tap.

Many thanks for all the hard work put in by everyone :) Looking forward to a wonderful weekend. Weather is glorious :)

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2014
Cossington, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just got back from a GREAT weekend. We were disappointed that we couldn't get into the Lincoln show with the funsters, so I guess the Stratford meet was second choice. But we had a great time met some lovely new friends and would like to be the first to book for Stratford next year. Ian n Jan

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Great weekend with fantastic hosting by the Merles and Sundowners. Can't beat an evening of sitting around a log fire with old and new friends swapping travel stories (and gossip about the people who weren't there :) )

nomadtim

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
Iwade
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 1017a
Exp
Great catching up with you guys, a great show much to short to see everyone hopefully will have the truck next time and spend longer seeing all

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Hello all.
What a friendly bunch at the show again! Pleasure to meet you all, old faces and new, shame the evenings were a bit chilly outside!
Would be nice to think we may be with you next year, but may have a year off pending further plans and the hopeful sale of our current van.
Thanks for all the efforts made by the organisers
Ryan & Mel

Jul 6, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 1995
Just remembered to check Fun as well as 365....doh!
I thoroughly enjoyed the Stratford weekend. My first ever such event....so good to meet such an eclectic and sometimes eccentric bunch...felt right at home. Thanks to Mr.andMrsMerle and Sundowners for all their work in making it all happen. Brilliant banter around the woodstoves. Woodsmoke and Whisky could be the theme of the weekend for me! Epic tales of travels far and wide. And the outdoor cookery....well that was really fun too! I look forward to keeping in touch with everyone. Happy Trails to all of you!

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Just returned to home base after an extended AO Show meet. Sincere thanks to all who attended this year's event, without you it would be a non-starter. It was great to see and be part of so much friendliness and banter, I know I have a wealth of happy memories from the meet and hope you have as well. I trust you all had safe onward journeys and that we will meet again, Dave

Tom Mc

Free Member
Aug 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
1974 Range Rover Classic
Exp
My apologies for the late reply. After the Adventure Overland Show at Stratford (AO`15) we raced over to Germany for the Adventure Northside Show (AN`15) so have only now have managed to get back online.

Thanks Dave (Merle) for organising the Funsters. This worked very well and I have to say made my life a lot easier. Also, thanks once again to The Sundowners, Nigel and Pamela's enthusiasm is infectious. I still have your live-saving Samsung charger BTW, PM me with your address so I can return it.

Last but not least, thanks to one and all who attended AO`15. Have to say the MHF set-up was impressive, something that can be clearly seen on the bird's eye view filmed from the drone (courtesy of LRW Films). The link can be found here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtPLXC1uBzQ

PLEASE ... If you have any photos of AO`15, please let's see them on this thread. I may even lift a couple to place on the https://www.adventureoverlandshow.com if that's okay? These can be of the funsters at play or any other shots of the amazing vehicles that attended. Ta!

Tom Mc

Free Member
Aug 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
1974 Range Rover Classic
Exp
Opps! I also wanted to ask - did any members attend any of the seminars? If so, what did you think of them?

Also, if you have any ideas to make the show even better, or any constructive criticism if something wasn't to your liking, then please let me know. It's how we move forward.

Also forgot to include the dates for next year.

The dates for AO`16 at Stratford-upon-Avon Racecourse are 24-25 September 2016 (again with the MHF 'exclusive price' of £35 that Sundowners negotiated last year ... plus £10 per night for pre-event camping from Monday 19th Sept to Thurs 22nd Sept), then dates for AN`16 the following weekend in NW Germany are 01-03 October 2016. This incidentally is a holiday weekend in Germany, hence the dates are Sat-Mon inclusive.

If anybody wants to attend the Adventure Northside Show in Germany ( https://www.adventure-northside.com ) then the cost of entry will be £0. Confused? Well we operate a BOGOF [Buy One Get One Free] scheme whereby traders and campers booking at AO`16 receives free entry to AN`16 ... and visa versa.

I'll shut up now!!!

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Tom on behalf of all who attended please accept our thanks for your generousity and help in setting up for our get together .... and ofcourse for arranging the weather :)
Hopefully the show was a commercial success and that it continues to grow in line with your desires.
Dave

Tom Mc

Free Member
Aug 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
1974 Range Rover Classic
Exp
It's growing ... say no more!

As for the weather, yes it was incredible ... glorious sunshine which carried on whilst we were over in Germany. Nippy nights yes, but that's why overnight heaters were invented. MHF will have to invest in one of those gas patio heaters or similar for your communal area, that and 'granny rugs' over the legs should work a treat.

Incredibly, late on Monday afternoon after we'd just packed away the remaining marquees which had been drying in the sun all day, the very last job of clearing up after the Adventure Overland Show was gathering in the last of the black bin bags at the racecourse - guess what happened? It began to spit! We really couldn't have written the script, somebody up there was certainly looking after me. Happy days!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back