Adult sleeping bag recommendations needed. (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've bought two now in the past week and used neither. The second one to arrive, a Vango, came today and both (about 30 quid each) will go to the charity shop if my neighbour's kids don't want them. It's also highly unlikely that I'll be able to stuff them back into their ridiculously small storage sacks.
I'm looking for adult, 'indoor' not a winter thermal filling, rectangular (not the 'mummy' shape), packed size not important and which can be zipped together (ever hopeful ;) ).
I evidently need advice because in my bachelor naivete I didn't realise that they would have that awful slippery Bri-Nylon sort of lining which is sweaty, jams zips and catches up on toenails. Do I need to look for one which is spec'd with a cotton lining, or polyester and cotton or something else?

Why do simple things turn out to be so difficult?

I was going to suggest the Duvalay sleeping system but
£30 will look very cheap by comparison
And i dont think they zip together

P.S. Cost isn't important but I didn't like the Duvalay (I gave that away too) and as you said, they don't zip together.
I use 'proper' bedding (duvet, sheet) at the mo.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I was going to suggest the Duvalay sleeping system but
£30 will look very cheap by comparison
And i dont think they zip together

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
For the motorhome, I now just use standard bedding as I would at home i.e. a sheet over a mattress protector, and duvet. That's fairly easy as the bed space once cushions are spread out are more or less a standard double size.

When I was tenting it was a sleeping bag. The standard ones with nylon ish linings were horrid. And mummy type sleeping bag shapes are just too constraining, suited only to those who need space on a hike up a mountain. I ended up with an Outwell Camper Lux. The liner was cotton flannel type. Machine washable, although they would recommend an inner liner - something to get tangled with.

If you do want to push the boat out look at some of the Duvalay stuff where they do a sort of mattress sheet duvet sheet combo.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I find if sleeping outdoors, the rectangular ones don’t keep you warm. The ‘mummy’ bags are best for that. Indoors, equally, I find that a rectangular one is not as good as a good duvet and proper lovely sheets, but then we have a fixed bed so can leave it made up in case of afternoon kips (ever the hopeful).

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ditto, Spriddler... The nylon, I mean, . Not the 'ever hopeful' . I've given up on that.

Cotton ones are best but then they won't fit into my washing machine. :(. Hence, sewing two cotton sheets together as a lining for a double nylon sleeping bag... (leave top unsewn to get in!!) is an answer unless you do a jig in your sleep, as I appear to do and my legs get tangled in it.

So now I use a sheet on bottom.. easy to strip and wash.. (sheet, not me), and a duvet on top. Next choice would be two duvets as said in posts above.

In Winter I have a. Single Egyptian Mummy type sleeping bag and it's lovely and warm. ... But I think my hopes for the future are not the same as yours.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Double sleeping bag smooth Zips either side for easy access not sure if it was go outdoors, milletts or outwell that were advertising them.

1596288500303.png

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I just use a thin duvet, lie on one side and cover myself with the other when alone 🙄
Same here a double duvet each with a cover..Did have sleeping bags but they were too bulky to go in the washer.Cost us a fortune at the laundrette..Easy now we just wash the covers in site machines..BUSBY..

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I have a Regatta Bienna double sleeping bag - poly cotton lining, so not smooth ‘n slippery; machine washable - zips apart so can be used as two singles and washed separately. Cost about £40 a year or so ago.....bought from the Regatta Great Outdoors fleabay site.

(y) :cool:

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thanks all.
I choose to make up the bed each night. A cotton s/bag liner might do the trick as I don't seem to move at all once my head hits the pillow and I sleep right through on both ears.
I have a lovely mummy shaped one for motorbiking trips with a tent as space on the bike is limited.
CNV00018_04.JPG

I've come to the (evidently rather late) conclusion that the answer is to shop for one in the flesh rather than browsing online. It's o.k. for socks though.
Ditto, Spriddler... The nylon, I mean, . Not the 'ever hopeful' . I've given up on that.
............my hopes for the future are not the same as yours.
What a shame. :(
Coincidentally, I was thinking of you in the shower this morning.........
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
.....................while I was having my breakfast. 😲 :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Go to a Go Outdoors store, look over their selection or Cotswold Camping.

When you find what you like either buy it or go online and search for similar.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I have a Coleman Hudson double it's very comfortable and has a cotton flanel inner

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have a Coleman Hudson double it's very comfortable and has a cotton flanel inner

If I could be sure that would fit into my small washing machine, that looks brilliant.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If I could be sure that would fit into my small washing machine, that looks brilliant.

Obviously I don't know how big your washing machine is, but my one has one zip down one side and along the bottom and another down the other side so you should be able to take it apart and wash each half separately, it might be worth finding a shop that has one so you can have a look for yourself.

May 13, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Spriddler,

We are looking at Snuglux.They are not cheap but fairly versatile in as much as you can chose Percale ,Egyptian Cotton 200 Thread or Egyptian Cotton 400 count thread. You can mix and match the inner and outer.We are thinking of 400 Egyptian inner and the cotton Percale outer. You can choose all the same colour or a different inner and outer. There website is freedomis.co.uk. Good luck.
Pam

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
They used to do sleeping bags lined with material called ‘pertex’ which is very comfy against the skin. It’s a bit like a synthetic silk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back