M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I can’t see anything obvious but would anyone have any idea on the easiest way to add another 3 pin socket, preferably in a hidden place that I can get a cable to from under the MH.

I’m thinking in a locker or under the bed or front sofas?

For info my Alde boiler is under the bed and my batteries etc are under one of the front sofas I also have some sort of heater fan under the other sofa that has power.

MH is 2012 swift bessacarr e562

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Alternatively does anybody know if there is an easy route from outside to inside around the driver area (dash or just behind drivers seat)?

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
What are you trying to achieve ?
Would an external mains socket suffice ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
What are you trying to achieve ?
Would an external mains socket suffice ?

I want to put an led strip around the underside of the van, long story as to why but basically trying to do it before a friend does.

The led strip is waterproof but the plug and power unit isn’t so an external plug could work, say if the connection and power pack was inside one of the side vents and I could just poke a cable through to the external socket when required.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I want to put an led strip around the underside of the van, long story as to why but basically trying to do it before a friend does.

The led strip is waterproof but the plug and power unit isn’t so an external plug could work, say if the connection and power pack was inside one of the side vents and I could just poke a cable through to the external socket when required.

LEDs are low voltage and generally run directly from the leisure battery, rather than from the mains.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive

I’d definitely be looking for a 12v led strip then.

Have a look on the 240v power supply you have, if it’s 12v dc output, then as mentioned above you could miss the power supply out and wire the led strip directly to the leisure battery through a switch and fuse.

Reactions: M-J
OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I’d definitely be looking for a 12v led strip then.

Have a look on the 240v power supply you have, if it’s 12v dc output, then as mentioned above you could miss the power supply out and wire it directly tho the leisure battery through a switch and fuse.

Sounds technical but I can look in to it, the lights I have been looking at are mostly listed as 12v but all come with a 3 pin plug adapter, not sure this could be just done away with?

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Assume 12v from the leisure battery is always available and not interrupted by plugging in to EHU?

I have alarm sensors on my locker doors, could it be powdered from there or if I found the cable for the led awning light could that be split so it turns on at the same time as that?

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
These are what I have been looking at… if I can find a way of leaving the white control box in then I could basically connect to any permanent 12v as the control box allows them to be switched on and off.

Amazon product ASIN B08D8XVXZP

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Assume 12v from the leisure battery is always available and not interrupted by plugging in to EHU?

I have alarm sensors on my locker doors, could it be powdered from there or if I found the cable for the led awning light could that be split so it turns on at the same time as that?
The 12v supply to your awning light would be a good place👍🏼

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You'd also need to properly protect a 230v cable if fitting it externally to your motorhome and your insurance may have comments to make!

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
You'd also need to properly protect a 230v cable if fitting it externally to your motorhome and your insurance may have comments to make!

If I go that way the strip is IP65 and connections to it would be internal.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If I go that way the strip is IP65 and connections to it would be internal.

I run my led strips from my leisure batteries via a cig lighter socket in the garage where the batteries are.

You can put a switch in line so you can isolate the socket.

I definitely would not be running lights via 230v as all you are doing is stepping down the voltage via the three pin plug.

HTH 😊

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I run my led strips from my leisure batteries via a cig lighter socket in the garage where the batteries are.

You can put a switch in line so you can isolate the socket.

I definitely would not be running lights via 230v as all you are doing is stepping down the voltage via the three pin plug.

HTH 😊

I will definitely go this way, I assume my battery box will be easy to get a wire from out to in , at worst a new hole and grommet of some sort.

Now, if only I knew how to connect anything to the battery :roflmto:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I will definitely go this way, I assume my battery box will be easy to get a wire from out to in , at worst a new hole and grommet of some sort.

one wire to each side fuse in the one with a+

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Yikes 😳😊

I’m sure there will already be something clamped to the hab battery to give you a clue 😉👍

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
N
I wasn’t expecting it to be that simple without upsetting any of the existing set up?
Nope it is that simple…..consider a simple on/off switch that you can access too, or you’ll be a 24hr mobile disco.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back