Adding back up gas bottle system (1 Viewer)

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
I have a Gaslow system (1x 11Kg) being fed into a Truma SecuMotion regulator. I have a 90% full bottle of Calor gaslight which I would like to add for backup supply just in case. Currently thge Gaslow feeds to a single inlet to the regulator so I would like to add a T to the regulator inlet with manual shutoff valves for both feeds so that I can swap over easily to the Calor propane bottle as a backup/reserve gas supply for longer trips.

Any advice on what parts I would need for this, and any advice on what to do/not to do

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Maybe connect your spare to the filler point on the side of the van with a high pressure hose and the correct coupler autogas 2000 keep the parts you would require and would advise you on the correct procedure

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just to clarify, are you wishing to put the Calor bottle into the gas locker with the Gaslow bottle? It's a pretty standard fit and any Gaslow/Autogas/etc supplier can sort out the connections.

However if you intend carrying the bottle separately and connecting up as and when you need it, you'll first need to find somewhere safe, and more importantly ventilated, to carry it. That sorted, again a good gas accessories dealer can help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
Looking to put the spare bottle in the gas locker as have plenty of space. Just a simple t price and isolation valves...sounds like an easy DIY on paper....it's just knowing which parts to buy and if there are any issues you can think of

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Why not put an Automatic Change Over Valve instead of T piece. You then won't have to worry about if your refillable does empty... it will automatically change to other bottle... various makes and prices on market.. Won't be any harder to fit than a T piece.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Not a fan of auto changeover - I like to know when the bottle runs out (we've got 2x6kg Gaslow, nothing bigger will fit). Okay, it's usually in the middle of the night in a rainstorm...........................:swear:.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Okay, it's usually in the middle of the night in a rainstorm...........................:swear:.
But surely that's what they are for... change over when one is empty save you getting wet in middle of night.... confused by your statement "like to know when changed over"
Open gas locker door.. look in... still green original bottle... red has changed to new bottle...green but also showing some red then original bottle is nearing the end.
You should know from experience how long a bottle lasts and when you think it will be getting empty start checking. Simples....

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Not a fan of auto changeover - I like to know when the bottle runs out (we've got 2x6kg Gaslow, nothing bigger will fit). Okay, it's usually in the middle of the night in a rainstorm...........................:swear:.
I have 2x 11kg gaslow and TBH i'm the same, prefer to know when one is empty. if i had auto-change i would forget to fill up until completely empty

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
But surely that's what they are for... change over when one is empty save you getting wet in middle of night.... confused by your statement "like to know when changed over"
Open gas locker door.. look in... still green original bottle... red has changed to new bottle...green but also showing some red then original bottle is nearing the end.
You should know from experience how long a bottle lasts and when you think it will be getting empty start checking. Simples....
Actually I said "when the bottle runs out". The gauges are useless but over the years I know pretty well when it's about to go so make a point of changing it at a "convenient" time then go look for a refill. I'm the same as TCG

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I said "when the bottle runs out".
Think you splitting hairs there.
What is difference between you saying "when the bottle runs out" and me saying "when bottle is empty"????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back