bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I currently have one 95ah agm battery in my MH. This is the make and model. Theres room to fit a 2nd one so do I mirror the current battery and buy a duplicate? Its quite an expensive battery so are there cheaper alternatives or is it best to stick with a 2nd one to match the current one? Thanks
6DD9BF2D-5875-4F52-B20C-F009B48442DD.jpeg

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I currently have one 95ah agm battery in my MH. This is the make and model. Theres room to fit a 2nd one so do I mirror the current battery and buy a duplicate? Its quite an expensive battery so are there cheaper alternatives or is it best to stick with a 2nd one to match the current one? Thanks
View attachment 540055
We went mad and spent just over 4 times the above cost for a 120ah Lithium Battery, but we did save 13kg weight ...

Shame that yours is 95ah and AGM, because I've got the original [brand new in mid April] Banner 100ah lead acid battery that I want to get rid of and you're not a million miles away from me!

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
It is advised to batteries of matching age, size and capacity.
AGM get slated on some forums for failing within 2 years when used as a Leisure battery. I hear Hymer no longer use them in new builds.
Lipo are great as you can run them to zero, charge really fast and weigh less.... BUT they don't charge in freezing conditions, need precise charging regime and I can buy 5 wet acid batteries for the same as one 100ah lipo.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I to have been advice that AGM are not good for leisure use. In fact I have just replaced my 2 x 110Ah lead acid batteries for the same again.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
We went mad and spent just over 4 times the above cost for a 120ah Lithium Battery, but we did save 13kg weight ...

Shame that yours is 95ah and AGM, because I've got the original [brand new in mid April] Banner 100ah lead acid battery that I want to get rid of and you're not a million miles away from me!

Steve
Measure up?

Why can you not mix AGM and LA batteries???

Cheers James

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Measure up?

Cheers James
Lenny HB will answer, I hope! IIRC, the advice is to use the same type and rating of batteries, but the technical reason is beyond my verylimited knowledge

Steve

OP
OP
bridgedino

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I to have been advice that AGM are not good for leisure use. In fact I have just replaced my 2 x 110Ah lead acid batteries for the same again.
So another option could be to just let it be and use it until it dies, then swap it to 2 x lead acid ones rather than keep forking out on the more expensive AGMs

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Measure up?

Cheers James
Because AGM need charging at a higher voltage (14.8V) than other types of lead acid batteries.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wouldn't bother fitting another AGM especially if the current one is more than a year old. They do not perform very well as leisure batteries.

Battery type & size depends how you use your van if you spend a lot of time on EHU ordinary flooded cells are fine.
If you spend a lot of time off grid Gels would be a good option.

Whatever battery you decide on you need to make sure your charger has the correct charging profile for them.

OP
OP
bridgedino

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Do you know how old the existing battery is?
The old one wants to be within a year or so old or the old one will bring the new one down to its state of charge.
I would buy a pair of regular lead acid batteries and sell/dump the AGM.
The agm is 6mths old

OP
OP
bridgedino

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Think I’ll stick with the AGM until it dies, and then do the swap. Thanks for the advice guys 👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You could add a second one but I wouldn't I don't trust AGM's for leisure use.
When I took delivery of my current van I got rid of the AGM and fitted 3 Gels.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Because AGM need charging at a higher voltage (14.8V) than other types of lead acid batteries.
Thanks but if alternator is doing most of charging you cannot alter the voltage?

Cheers James

jp11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Minibus conversion
Stick to tried and tested lead acid. But the latest development of these is EFB (enhanced flooded battery). Tanya do the YUASA L36-EFB 100AH for £109. They need to be vented though.
I put two in my recent van conversion, along with Renogy 50A dcdc charger and 175w solar panel. They haven't had a mains charger attached to them since they were bought.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Thanks but if alternator is doing most of charging you cannot alter the voltage?

Cheers James
You would use a b2b charger to set up the correct charge profile for the battery type you have installed if it's a different type to the original.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

Cheers James
The B2B takes power from the engine battery and charges the leisure battery. The B2B must be set to the right charging profile for the battery it is charging. The engine battery is looked after by the engine’s ECU which controls the alternator’s output and the engine manufacturer will have set that up for the original engine battery that came with the vehicle when new.

Sarah

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Chichester, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
7 years
You could add a second one but I wouldn't I don't trust AGM's for leisure use.
When I took delivery of my current van I got rid of the AGM and fitted 3 Gels.
What gel batteries did you buy? I currently have 3 x AGM's in my Hymer and want to replace them but I am struggling to find Gel replacements.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What gel batteries did you buy? I currently have 3 x AGM's in my Hymer and want to replace them but I am struggling to find Gel replacements.
I have the Sonnenschine 78ah but the Exide 80ah are cheaper at the moment. Both made in the Sonnenschine factory almost the same battery.

Sarah

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Chichester, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
7 years
I have the Sonnenschine 78ah but the Exide 80ah are cheaper at the moment. Both made in the Sonnenschine factory almost the same battery.
Thank you. My current batteries are 100ah so was trying to get the same ah in gels but I presume that isn't necessary? I purchased my current MH just over a year ago and the current batteries were in it so I have no idea how old they are. They seem to manage to hold a charge with the help of the solar panels as long as I don't ask to much of them. I have a 1600 watt inverter and the low voltage alarm would sound if I tried to use a 700 watt toaster for instance. Sorry to bother you whilst on holiday.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
80 ah gel will give more useable power as you can discharge them to 20% DOD and still get a long life, compared to 50% of a standard battery.

700 Watts plus another 10% for inverter efficiency is too much for 2 batteries if you want them to last however if they are in good condition they would run it OK but their life expectancy will be considerably shortened.
Really not a good idea to to use inverters for the sake of it better to use gas for your toast.

Sarah

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Chichester, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
7 years
80 ah gel will give more useable power as you can discharge them to 20% DOD and still get a long life, compared to 50% of a standard battery.

700 Watts plus another 10% for inverter efficiency is too much for 2 batteries if you want them to last however if they are in good condition they would run it OK but their life expectancy will be considerably shortened.
Really not a good idea to to use inverters for the sake of it better to use gas for your toast.
Thank you again, I didn't realise using the inverter would be detrimental to the batteries life. Tbh I only tried to use it as I currently seem to have a lack of gas coming through to my grill and oven so whilst it lights that is about all it does but thats another story! Thank you for your help and advice.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Thank you again, I didn't realise using the inverter would be detrimental to the batteries life. Tbh I only tried to use it as I currently seem to have a lack of gas coming through to my grill and oven so whilst it lights that is about all it does but thats another story! Thank you for your help and advice.
You could run your engine whilst using the inverter thus mitigating the load on the battery????

Cheers James

Sarah

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Chichester, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
7 years
You could run your engine whilst using the inverter thus mitigating the load on the battery????
Cheers James
There is that except there are too many alarms that will go off unless I turn the cab seats round and lower them, bring in hab step, lift levellers (if using)!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Our grill gives the toast a very light suntan [on a good day] :LOL: . Elaine uses a really hot frying pan dry and just uses the dry pan to achieve a decent level of toasting. The low energy toaster [with the rictus grin of a hole where I burnt through the plastic wall with the Remoska ...] stays in the cupboard until we go mad and book an ehu ... (y)

Steve

Sarah

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Chichester, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline B690
Exp
7 years
Our grill gives the toast a very light suntan [on a good day] :LOL: . Elaine uses a really hot frying pan dry and just uses the dry pan to achieve a decent level of toasting. The low energy toaster [with the rictus grin of a hole where I burnt through the plastic wall with the Remoska ...] stays in the cupboard until we go mad and book an ehu ... (y)

Steve
The hot pan is a good idea. My smev grill/oven has always been slow but I do believe there is an issue with the gas coming in (or lack of it!). I think it is my ignorance in thinking that with the inverter, solar panels and decent batteries I could use my 240volt appliances. I was thinking of replacing my oven/grill with a microwave also but now realise that it would be a mistake.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
The hot pan is a good idea. My smev grill/oven has always been slow but I do believe there is an issue with the gas coming in (or lack of it!). I think it is my ignorance in thinking that with the inverter, solar panels and decent batteries I could use my 240volt appliances. I was thinking of replacing my oven/grill with a microwave also but now realise that it would be a mistake.
Happy to share with a Chi resident! Worked in Bognor Regis and in County Hall 1992-99 before starting a new life in Scotland :giggle:

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Ah small world! How is Scotland treating you?
Fabulously, thanks! It's a great country in which to live, the Scots are very friendly, supportive and helpful, and I have been able to swap a 2 miles walk to Worthing sea front for a 100m walk to the Firth of Forth and a view across to Edinburgh Castle and those 3 iconic bridges! (y) One of the very few downsides is that I now have to drive a little more than 500 miles to reach a Cross Channel Ferry, instead of the 37 miles to Porstmouth ... But, if I had everything I could wish for, there would be nothing to motivate me to get of bed in the morning!

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back