Adding 2nd calor gas bottle - what do i need? (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
low profile
Hi, new motorhome owner here, im looking at making some "simple" upgrades to the motorhome (sunlight T-68) namely adding a 2nd gas bottle and maybe a 2nd leasure battery, so we can be more self reliant and spend a bit more time off the grid.

I was thinking since we are probably going to be touring around the UK this summer, i'd go for what probably is the cheapest option (my assumption anyway) is just to buy another calor gas bottle and connect in parallel to the 1st...

I suppose the cheapest option is just to buy another calor bottle and manually swap over the regulator, but i would prefer a system where both bottles are are "inline" so i dont have to swap over the bottles in the middle of the night for example if i have the heating on.

So my question is what cost of cable setup would i need for this, a regulator per bottle plus some sort of mixer hose?

I've seen other posts about adding a refillable bottle (Glasgow), but those kits are £300+, where im hoping a another calor bottle plus regulator bits and pieces will be less than 1/2 that. Thoughts apperiated and where people would recommend i buy this kit.
Thanks,
Liam

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Hi, new motorhome owner here, im looking at making some "simple" upgrades to the motorhome (sunlight T-68) namely adding a 2nd gas bottle and maybe a 2nd leasure battery, so we can be more self reliant and spend a bit more time off the grid.

I was thinking since we are probably going to be touring around the UK this summer, i'd go for what probably is the cheapest option (my assumption anyway) is just to buy another calor gas bottle and connect in parallel to the 1st...

I suppose the cheapest option is just to buy another calor bottle and manually swap over the regulator, but i would prefer a system where both bottles are are "inline" so i dont have to swap over the bottles in the middle of the night for example if i have the heating on.

So my question is what cost of cable setup would i need for this, a regulator per bottle plus some sort of mixer hose?

I've seen other posts about adding a refillable bottle (Glasgow), but those kits are £300+, where im hoping a another calor bottle plus regulator bits and pieces will be less than 1/2 that. Thoughts apperiated and where people would recommend i buy this kit.
Thanks,
Liam
If you google 'auto change over regulator kit' you will find what you need.

I'm not trying to spend your money but if you are planning on keeping the van any length of time I'd be fitting a refillable system, it will save you money in the long run.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Done 11years on a single bottle, just upgraded the hose, so it is hand screw not spanner connection, a lot easier to do in the dark.

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
We have one of these changeover valves...large rotary knob controls which cylinder is being fed to the built in regulator, a simple fit.
Just attach the hose of each bottle to the input points and use the knob to manage the bottles.
image.jpeg

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I've never had a problem with turning one bottle of and the other on. In my experience it mostly happens overnight due to the fridge.
Its also a fool proof way of knowing when you have emptied a bottle and now need a refill

My thoughts as well.
My van has auto changeover BUT never used it as I like to know when a bottle has run out.
As both bottles are connected it a simple operation of opening the gas bottle top and flipping the switch over.
I also use Safefill bottles so a compromise of the re-fillable option, suits me as I have a local LPG supplier only 1 mile away. (y)

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
Agreed, the manual changeover I posted above allows just that..it also has an 'indicator' window that shows when the active bottle is low.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
My son picked up a couple of bottles at our local tip. He wasn't charged for them but they will probably only ask for a fiver. Then just swap in for full ones.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Not allowed to take anything from our tip. Bloke came in with a lovely little child’s bike. They would not let him give it to me. So he drove out with it and gave it to me outside the tip gates. Bloody jobs worth 😡

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I had thought about some sort of change over valve as per the suggestion. Considering they cost £87 I think swapping the pipe from bottle to bottle is simpler and considerably cheaper.
As others have found it’s during the night it runs out or half way through cooking tea when it’s raining. Last time I spent ages trying to figure out what the ticking noise was when I woke up. It was the fridge trying to light.

Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
While I agree is is cheaper to do it yourself, I wouldn't want to be out there with a spanner at night in the rain....
So, to make it easier an easy use 'handwheel' POL hose would be good, but they're £15 and you need two...
having used the above changeover, which takes seconds to switch, I'd rather invest £87 there than £30 for something that's still a lot more fiddly....and I'm a tight wad!
Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back