Adapting a Suzuki Alto to take an A frame (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Wife has decided that at the moment she won't use public transport so I need to A frame the Alto or we will be stuck on sites.
After a phone around it becomes apparent that Alto's aren't popular and no one it seems makes a frame them, Armatage said if I drove it up to them they would make one for around £900 but that means wifey has to drive her car while I drive the RV, she's not keen as its 190 miles so I said ok I will make one. bit bored so fancy doing it anyway.

Pulled the front of the Alto to see whats what.
Front as built.jpg

Ordered some steel box and used the existing front cross member as a pattern.
IMG_20200609_132336.jpg

Did a dry fit to the car, all seems fine.
New cross member.jpg

Back in the workshop and set up the pins bought from Jason on RVOC, I had to make new spacers to suit the distance I wanted them to protrude out the front of the car.
Bench mock up.jpg

New spacers made and rebushed the clevis pin holes to suit 1/2" clevis pins, the bushes where made oversize so I could shrink fit them into the pin holes.

Modified pins.jpg

Bought a hitch and made the arms out of 30x30x3mm box, with some 30x3mm bent over at the ends to take the clevis pins. And no I am not a welder.
Arm.jpg

Fitted a socket under the bonnet and wired it to the rear lights.
7 pin plug location on car.jpg

Fitted the brake cable supplied by Armatage but I didn't like the clevis for the brake pedal or the method of connecting the end of the cable to the hitch so bought some fancy shiney marine swageless fittings. And with that we are done, just tested it on my daughters car just pulled it around the block. The arms are bolted to the hitch so I remove them after use which make it all reasonably light to carry around but a bit more of a faff to set up.
IMG_20200728_144317.jpg

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Good on you for doing the job and saving a small fortune i am sure.

My hat is off to you. More than chuffed to be honest for you...well done you!

Regards Kev (y);)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Co-incidently I have just repurposed one from a Peugeot 205. to fit a P-107. But I already had the Caratow rig,. I used "Farm Gate" eyes I had from an electric gate project!. I now have to fabricate a tow hitch for my Garden trailer. As No one makes one for a P-107.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Please tell me how the brakes are activated
Generically, the hitch end of the inner is secured to a lever on the sliding hitch.
The outer in a captive bracket on the frame.
Car end, the inner has a clevis fork which fits over the brake pedal and is secured with a pin through a drilled hole in the pedal.
The outer is secured where it passes through a drilled hole on the bulkhead to line up with the pedal.
When you brake the momentum of the car causes the hitch to slide forwards and the lever pulls the inner cable.
The inner cable then pulls on the brake pedal slowing the car. .

Last edited:
OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
An additional cross bar just forward of the eye clevises wouldn't go amiss to prevent the arms trying to pull together and push apart under braking.
Any stress and strain is too much stress and strain.

Not needed John your over engineering it beyond even what I do. The car forms the base of a triangle, those pins are 16mm dia and with the pin nuts done up on the 25mm sleeves you get a solid fixing back to the cross member .
Even if they could move the 12mm bolts on the hitch wouldn't let them.
The weakest point is the cross member fixing to the chassis, if anything is likely to fail its that, but with the mediocre accelerate of my RV that's not likely. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Generically, the hitch end of the inner is secured to a lever on the sliding hitch.
The outer in a captive bracket on the frame.
Car end, the inner has a clevis fork which fits over the brake pedal and is secured with a pin through a drilled hole in the pedal.
The outer is secured where it passes through a drilled hole on the bulkhead to line up with the pedal.
When you brake the momentum of the car causes the hitch to slide forwards and the lever pulls the inner cable.
The inner cable then pulls on the brake pedal slowing the car. .

I have just fitted mine and I didn't understand that. :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not needed John your over engineering it beyond even what I do. The car forms the base of a triangle, those pins are 16mm dia and with the pin nuts done up on the 25mm sleeves you get a solid fixing back to the cross member .
Even if they could move the 12mm bolts on the hitch wouldn't let them.
The weakest point is the cross member fixing to the chassis, if anything is likely to fail its that, but with the mediocre accelerate of my RV that's not likely. :roflmto:
You're probably right.
If you saw my first A frame for my Suzuki jeep...... No sliding hitch so no brakes and nearly weighed as much as the jeep.
Very similar clevis style at the car end but I cut and bent the 60mm box section where you welded bits on.

As for not understanding my diatribe.... It was a generic explanation and different methods could be used.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Please tell me how the brakes are activated

I thought the same; there doesn’t seem to be any means of applying the car’s brakes.

I understood that if brakes are fitted, they most be operable when under tow.

Ian

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The hitch can slide under braking as it does it pulls on a cable which is connected to a cable at the front of the car, this cable is in turn connected to your brake pedal so as you brake the brake pedal in the car is pulled on.
Do I need it on a 9.25 ton RV? No but it makes it legal.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
If you look at the last picture near the electric cable near the car you can see the brake cable laying on the ground, then if you look under the 6 on the number plate you can the little stub it connects to.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Wife has decided that at the moment she won't use public transport so I need to A frame the Alto or we will be stuck on sites.
After a phone around it becomes apparent that Alto's aren't popular and no one it seems makes a frame them, Armatage said if I drove it up to them they would make one for around £900 but that means wifey has to drive her car while I drive the RV, she's not keen as its 190 miles so I said ok I will make one. bit bored so fancy doing it anyway.

Pulled the front of the Alto to see whats what.
View attachment 410898

Ordered some steel box and used the existing front cross member as a pattern.
View attachment 410899

Did a dry fit to the car, all seems fine.
View attachment 410901

Back in the workshop and set up the pins bought from Jason on RVOC, I had to make new spacers to suit the distance I wanted them to protrude out the front of the car.
View attachment 410904

New spacers made and rebushed the clevis pin holes to suit 1/2" clevis pins, the bushes where made oversize so I could shrink fit them into the pin holes.

View attachment 410905

Bought a hitch and made the arms out of 30x30x3mm box, with some 30x3mm bent over at the ends to take the clevis pins. And no I am not a welder.
View attachment 410906

Fitted a socket under the bonnet and wired it to the rear lights.
View attachment 410920

Fitted the brake cable supplied by Armatage but I didn't like the clevis for the brake pedal or the method of connecting the end of the cable to the hitch so bought some fancy shiney marine swageless fittings. And with that we are done, just tested it on my daughters car just pulled it around the block. The arms are bolted to the hitch so I remove them after use which make it all reasonably light to carry around but a bit more of a faff to set up.
View attachment 410921
Nice job! You could save a bit of weight and tidy things up even more by removing the redundant handbrake lever :giggle:.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Nice job! You could save a bit of weight and tidy things up even more by removing the redundant handbrake lever :giggle:.
True hadn't thought of that. :doh: :roflmto:
I've found i actually use the handbrake on mine ...if you unhitch on a slope it saves the hitch whacking your back bumper

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The brake cable should be connected to the handbrake and tripped by a breakaway cable, that is Legally required to put the brake ON if the device detaches from the towing vehicle, in order to stop the towed item running amuck and causing more mayhem. ALL caravans have that feature. As do braked trailers. Even un-braked trailers should have a Safety Chain by law, as my little garden Trailer came with (Free from the BIL (y) ).

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Our toad is an alto. Caratow did the new cross member etc.
They (and others too) will do just the pull-bar, for most cars. But if you have the gear and skills, like much of DIY, the cost is less the materials more the Labour. As well as the satisfaction of a job which is well done. My welding too is not Fancy, But I have hung my life on it more than once, getting penetration is the key factor. (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The brake cable should be connected to the handbrake and tripped by a breakaway cable, that is Legally required to put the brake ON if the device detaches from the towing vehicle, in order to stop the towed item running amuck and causing more mayhem. ALL caravans have that feature. As do braked trailers. Even un-braked trailers should have a Safety Chain by law, as my little garden Trailer came with (Free from the BIL (y) ).
True - the key element is the handbrake ratchet or gas strut so the brakes stay on if the trailer detaches - wasn't thinking :oops2:.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Here's a picture of it all connected ready for Peterborough.
First time I have used an A frame so a little bit concerned but we arrived at Peterborough without a hitch, apart from the wife asking if I had taken the rv of Sorn, opps forgot so pulled into a layby and did it then.
IMG_20200731_120357.jpg

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Here's a picture of it all connected ready for Peterborough.
First time I have used an A frame so a little bit concerned but we arrived at Peterborough without a hitch, apart from the wife asking if I had taken the rv of Sorn, opps forgot so pulled into a layby and did it then.
View attachment 411818
Looks the business. In fact the Blue Ox unit I had for my R-V in the US looked not dissimilar (y) . I had a 4WD Tacoma on it. ( which I think is the UK Hilux?).

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Couple of mods if I was building them again Pete.
Instead of using 30x3mm box for the arms I would use 30x2mm then 25mm box would fit inside so I could make them in two pieces, next a shouldered bolt in the 2nd hole to allow the arms to swing in when not in use. Thinking about it I may do that anyway. :smiley:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back