AA Solar Battery Charger OBDII (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Sorry if this has already been covered, I did a search but nothing came up for this.

Has anyone used one of these in a Motorhome, apparently it keeps low usage vehicles topped up and it has generally good reviews despite the power looking a bit on the low side. OBD port is ideal and easy to access on our van, battery is under the passenger seat so bit more fiddly.

Can anyone offer any opinions before I order one from Amazon?

Thanks

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Cant see a link in your post but after a quick google its a bit short on specifications ..
I think id rather fit a battery master type device to keep my vehicle battery topped up..
Do you have roof mounted solar ?
Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Than make it a lot easier for thieves to find your OBD port and kill your immobiliser, just follow the cable and away they go. :xrofl::xrofl:
Fitted an OBD lock on ours
I don't really think the old port location would be an issue for anyone who had the gear to access it.. :xgrin:

OP
OP
tap6699
Jul 7, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Thanks guys,

We have roof mounted solar but it only charges the leisure battery, been in for Hab check today and the dealer says it is a single something rather than a double something so they can’t modify it. Our OBD port is really easy to find, I think it even says what it is on the flap :xeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
No expert but I'm sure your roof solar could be modified to also trickle charge your hab battery.
I'd definitely research that, maybe battery master as above.
What solar controller do you have ?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Thumbs up for the battery master from me as well

Easy to install, fit & forget

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thanks guys,

We have roof mounted solar but it only charges the leisure battery, been in for Hab check today and the dealer says it is a single something rather than a double something so they can’t modify it. Our OBD port is really easy to find, I think it even says what it is on the flap :xeek:

if you have roof mounted solar , then id fit a battery master type device rather than that obd port charger.. I can't see any specs for it in their blurb regarding power or charging current but I don't think it will be much use... imo.. your dealer is just telling you that your solar charge controller isn't suitable for charging two separate batteries..
here's a link to the type of device I would fit... very simple to install and will work..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Car-Batter...SB2-CBE-Accessories-Camper-Nautica/1679771620

OP
OP
tap6699
Jul 7, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Thanks everyone, just had a look at the Battery Master, think I’ll go for one of those.

OP
OP
tap6699
Jul 7, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Thanks for the discount link, every little helps at this time of year.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
every little helps at this time of year
If thats the case
The one i linked to in my post above is the cheapest of those type of devices...
That do a similar job..
Sterling ..the van bitz battery master etc all do them..
They all have slightly different specifications and priorities in terms of their charging current and cut in and out voltages... but are all fitted in a similar fashion...
I prefere to make the connections at the batteries but its not necessary if they are hard to access..
Andy

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks guys,

Looks like you need to find another dealer that knows what it’s doing....

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have a 100watt portable panel connected to the starter battery but in recent cloudy weeks even this has not managed to keep up with the battery drain. Panel is not ideally positioned and at previous storage site it did better. In my case battery drain includes Cat1 alarm, tracker and of course the base vehicle system. I wouldn’t expect a small dash mounted one to achieve very much in a UK winter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back