"A Year in Spain" My "last gasp" attempt at posting (informative info). (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The last cuppa ....

IMG_20240129_070625.jpg

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I suppose we could drink coffee, that's plentyfull, but Tea is so, traditional...let's see what Riopar has to offer later this morning..
Might even have some goodies too....run out of cake and nearly eaten all the biscuits..
Just started second LPG...so will be looking for that soon. Amazing travelling in the wilds of Spain...well the quieter places that is..you have to be very organised...still got beer though...but no wine...🥴👍🇪🇦

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
We once had a similar encounter with a young guy filling our vehicle at a station in Andorra, except he spoke perfect American English, learnt from movies.
Similar. In an Indian town somewhere we were served coffee by a young man who spoke like he was in Friends. He’d never left the State he lived in and learned his English from watching the telly.

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
Hi, love the photos. Would touring central Spain be ok with a dog? Are there restrictions? I remember in Galicia there were quite a few aggressive dogs loose, I presume as guard dogs around houses. Is this common through Spain? Cheers Martyn

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We drove up into the mist and it was sooooo cold in Riopar. En route there's a big parking area for access to the source of the Rio Mundo (waterfalls). Overnight parking there seems to be OK. We have stayed in the past.

Riopar has its own motorhome area, but not in the best of places, just a small area alongside a gravel road. And ... it's got known and is popular.

Riopar Viejo, 5 km away, is lovely. We stayed there one year.

Photos are from previous visits.

Riopar's parking
original_ddb1da5f-7aaa-4353-aed3-28eb6a6a6a5c_IMG_20210511_105339.jpg

And at Riopar Viejo.
original_37fcb8cc-60ae-4f33-9bee-f6387e2c4016_DSCN7634.JPG
original_803f3bfb-27b4-4427-ad92-a84ef2e3311e_DSCN7668.JPG
original_9bce2aa5-4842-4ed9-8da6-4bb2b730ce81_DSCN7655.JPG
original_fbe10ecc-3a8a-4ea4-bf58-654c6aa8a73e_DSCN7638.JPG
original_06a2f4ab-0fca-4225-a7f0-5f0c2a441808_DSCN7690.JPG

It's been renovated and the buildings seem, mainly, to be casas rurales (rural houses for rent) so, off season it's very quiet.

It's a "dark sky" area, with a viewpoint.

It's lovely there, but not today in the cloud.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, love the photos. Would touring central Spain be ok with a dog? Are there restrictions? I remember in Galicia there were quite a few aggressive dogs loose, I presume as guard dogs around houses. Is this common through Spain? Cheers Martyn

Central Spain, I think, would be the same as any part of Spain in relation to dogs. Most are chained or behind gates.

In Galicia, and other mountain areas, you will sometimes get the Mastins (Martin favourite atm) that are loose amongst the sheep. They can sometimes come to warn you away.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We bypassed the town of Alcaniz, been there before. We were there some (many) years ago eating in a restaurant in a cave at lunchtime, when a Royal Spanish Wedding was being televised.

There isn't a motorhome parking area there, but just up the road, and to the right, is the Santiario de Nuestra Senora de Cortes which is worth a visit. Ample parking, and also some on the via verde.

But, been there and done it before. (If cycling the via verde from there, take a torch !!!)

So, we decided to come to the new, official parking, along the via verde near the village of Robledo. This wasn't here on our last visit by motorhome, although we did come through on bikes.

It's not pretty.

DSCN7766~2.JPG
DSCN7765~2.JPG
DSCN7764~2.JPG

But it had sun to shine on our panels, and it has very good 4G Internet.

(That all the other motorhomes here, 4 more so far, are German, is neither here nor there 😂). Better they're here than adding to the thousands down on the coasts 👍

We're hoping to do a ride tomorrow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You drink your tea so weak and milky I’m sure any old rubbish will do! I drink strong black builders tea(preferably Yorkshire gold) brewed for 5 minutes at least. I NEVER run out.

I am interested in your photos by the way as well. Ferry to Santander booked for 5th March.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You drink your tea so weak and milky I’m sure any old rubbish will do! I drink strong black builders tea(preferably Yorkshire gold) brewed for 5 minutes at least. I NEVER run out.

I am interested in your photos by the way as well. Ferry to Santander booked for 5th March.

We do drink it weak amd milky and I can confirm that the teabags I bought today make weak tea.

They'll do, until we get back.

I hope you have a good trip in Spain. Ask away if you have any questions.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Lovely photos once again. We always take lots of Taylor’s Yorkshire Tea Bags when we travel, I don’t even like Tetley.

Sorry to but in but here is a photo of a friendly Mastin, the only one, we came across in the Picos one autumn. Another was absolutely ferocious running alongside the guide’s 4x4. This one wouldn’t even take the water Sharon made me offer him 😜 Enormous dogs!

I was amazed at the collars with nails through to try and prevent the wolves biting them.
LRG_DSC03703.jpeg

But we were very happy to have completed the Cares gorge walk end to end. 🤞🏻 Sharon’s soon to be new knee will let us do it again one day 😊

IMG_4717.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today had been far better than anticipated. Shortly after we set off on a ride, the sun broke through, and it's been a sunny day ever since.

We set off for about 9 km down the via verde in the Albacete direction and then left it to do a loop around. A 700 metre tunnel had us hesitating (we'd not brought torches) but the light eventually came on. An almost invisible track made us use the road instead of following the planned route and we eventually made it to the village of El Ballestero, from where we had one of the nicest rides we've had for a long time. About 9km of winding track, hardly any stones, through olives, Kermes Oaks and a few planted fields. We were both expecting to be stopped by a fence or gate, but the area was totally open.

We were intending to head to the motorhome area of El Bonilllo afterwards. There's free leccy there that we thought we might need for charging. But lunchtime was on us, and the sun has been strong enough to charge the batteries. We'll drive there in the morning now.

We have two more neighbours, both Germans. It's a popular stop off for them.

DSCN7767~2.JPG
DSCN7769~2.JPG
DSCN7774~2.JPG
DSCN7772~2.JPG
DSCN7777~2.JPG
DSCN7778~2.JPG
DSCN7779~2.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yesterday we had plans for the next week or two. This morning we changed everything we'd planned and came home.

Martin's left knee (the best of the two) has swollen up, so coming back gives him time to rest it. He's got things he can do here. I can go riding on my own. The van can go back to the garage for the noisy right wheel looking at (already booked in for tomorrow). We can get boxes of wine. I can order a new camera. Martin can order a new bit for my bike. AND BEST OF ALL WE CAN HAVE A GOOD MUG OF TEA 🤣🤣🤣 .

The fruit tree blossom is already appearing (possibly too early). I snapped a couple of piccies as we passed Cieza (thee ay tha) 👍.

IMG_20240131_113934~3.jpg
IMG_20240131_113551~3.jpg

Two years ago we did a "Florestation" ride (Fruit blossom tourism). I'll post some photos soon. It's worth seeing if you're anywhere near such an area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back