Daddycool

Free Member
May 22, 2017
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So, we headed off on our first proper motorhome adventure this weekend, using a Britstops location in Derbyshire largely to see how things are with no access to facilities. The first job we did, however, was to visit a weighbridge so we had some idea of what spare capacity we had. We'd read quite a lot of comments and posts about getting weighed and the problems folks have had with being near to or over the weight limit and re-plating vehicles. So with all of this in the back of our minds it was with a bit of apprehension we turned up at the weighbridge. We had loaded up with most of the bits and pieces we think we might need, put the tow bar fitting cycle carrier on the back, full tanks of fuel and clean water. So onto the weighbridge with us both in situ and was very pleasantly surprised to have a total weight of just over 2,900 Kg. Our maximum is 3,300 Kg so feeling very comfortable about not having to worry about weight and having capacity for bringing back a bit of wine from France in a couple of weeks time. Oh, we thoroughly enjoyed the weekend stopover by the way! This motorhome life is getting better and better.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That's good news but you need to be aware of weights on individual axles as one could be over even though you are well within your limit.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
nice to have some spare payload, but did you weigh both axles individually.
So easy to overload the rear axle without realising as most of the storage area is at the back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
You could have more if you only had your water tank half full, and then top it up when you get to where your going.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Although I visit sites with weighbridges every week (quarries) I have never seen individual axles weighed, is this done by parking just one axle at a time on the bridge ?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Although I visit sites with weighbridges every week (quarries) I have never seen individual axles weighed, is this done by parking just one axle at a time on the bridge ?
Yes.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I asked the same question a while back and the answer was yes! I used a weighbridge in Kent last time, rolled the back on first, then the front, then the whole vehicle with me in it. I was also pleasantly surprised, had 180kgs spare even with full fuel and water tanks and all fully packed but have since increased the payload by an extra 245kg courtesy of SVTech to 4250kg without conversion for carrying additional passengers and new gadgets of course (n)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bit different with a truck.
They tend to have a useable storage area over maybe 90% of the body length rather than mostly at the rearmost end....they still have individual axle weights but not on the same split as a motorhome.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I got one of those 135's good to know theres plenty of payload left all full up. I got the one with the bigger engine too, goes like anything up hills.

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Wish I had some payload, very jealous :unsure:

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Daddycool,

Our Auto Sleeper Nuevo returned almost the same figures as yours when we weighed ourselves when we first set off to Spain for the winter. We have friends who have a much more modern MH than ours but all the on board finery weighs and they are constantly struggling with payload issues.

The Tincas

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How strange we weigh exactly the same, what motorhome do you have?

Elddis Accordo 135

We have the Elddis Majestic125, I had a feeling we had same or similar van
Strange one that , we have a compass avantgaurd , made by eldiss, and we have exactly the same weights also, seeing all the posts on here about overweight vans , thought it couldn't be right but it is , don't know what is in the others to make them tons more, ok , I know we shall get eldiss knockers saying it's because they are crap but it makes you wonder what can be in the others.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Been down rated? Bummer.
Mine couldn't be, as its shipping weight is around 7.5t, with a gross of 9.25 t so I had to do the test and get HGV licence.

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Been down rated? Bummer.
Mine couldn't be, as its shipping weight is around 7.5t, with a gross of 9.25 t so I had to do the test and get HGV licence.
No LPG, Water or personal possessions = 7360KG (half tank of petrol)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Fipping heck, reminds me of a new one I saw at a show a few years ago, down rated to 7.5t, and the salesman admitted that the shipping weight was over 7t, and they had an LPG conversion on it.

Are you thinking of putting it back to original, or would you need to do test?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back